Levophed Bitartrate Side Effects
Generic Name: norepinephrine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 28, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about norepinephrine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Levophed Bitartrate.
For the Consumer
Applies to norepinephrine: parenteral injection
- Phentolamine is the local antidote for peripheral ischemia resulting from extravasation of norepinephrine.101
- Phentolamine should be given as soon as possible after extravasation is noted.101
- Infiltrate the affected area (using a syringe with a fine hypodermic needle) liberally throughout as soon as possible with 10–15 mL of 0.9% sodium chloride injection containing 5–10 mg of phentolamine mesylate (an α-adrenergic blocking agent) to prevent sloughing and necrosis in ischemic areas.101
- Sympathetic blockade with phentolamine causes immediate and conspicuous local hyperemic changes if the area is infiltrated within 12 hours.101
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to norepinephrine: injectable solution, intravenous solution
If plasma volumes are not corrected, hypotension may recur when this drug is discontinued, or blood pressure may be maintained at the risk of severe peripheral and visceral vasoconstriction (e.g., decreased renal perfusion) with diminution in blood flow and tissue perfusion with subsequent tissue hypoxia and lactic acidosis and possible ischemic injury. Overdoses or conventional doses in hypersensitive patients (e.g., hyperthyroid patients) can cause severe hypertension with violent headache, photophobia, stabbing retrosternal pain, pallor, intense sweating, and vomiting.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Extravasation necrosis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Headache
Frequency not reported: Sweating[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Vomiting[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Photophobia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Plasma volume depletion[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anxiety[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Respiratory difficulty, dyspnea
Frequency not reported: Gangrene[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Levophed (norepinephrine)." Hospira Inc, Lake Forest, IL.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Frequently asked questions
- Norepinephrine vs epinephrine: what's the difference?
- What are some common side effects of antidepressants?
- Strattera vs Adderall: What is the difference?
More about Levophed Bitartrate (norepinephrine)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.