Norepinephrine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Norepinephrine: Levophed, Levophed Bitartrate
Norepinephrine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of norepinephrine during breastfeeding. Because of its poor oral bioavailability and short half-life, any norepinephrine in milk is unlikely to affect the infant. High intravenous doses of norepinephrine might reduce milk production or milk letdown.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. Animal data indicate that norepinephrine can decrease serum prolactin and reduce milk production, as well as inhibit the release of oxytocin, which inhibits milk ejection.
1. Thomas GB, Cummins JT, Doughton BW et al. Direct pituitary inhibition of prolactin secretion by dopamine and noradrenaline in sheep. J Endocrinol. 1989;123:393-402. PMID: 2607250
2. Song SL, Crowley WR, Grosvenor CE. Evidence for involvement of an adrenal catecholamine in the beta-adrenergic inhibition of oxytocin release in lactating rats. Brain Res. 1988;457:303-9. PMID: 2851365
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about norepinephrine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: catecholamines
Other brands: Levophed