Ganciclovir ophthalmic Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: intraocular implant
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, ganciclovir ophthalmic may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Also, ganciclovir has been found to cause cancerous tumors in animals. Discuss these possible effects with your doctor.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking ganciclovir ophthalmic:More common—Usually occur within the first 2 months after the surgery
- Decrease in vision (severe)
- seeing flashes or sparks of light
- seeing floating spots before the eyes, or a veil or curtain appearing across part of vision
- Blurred vision or other change in vision
- decreased vision or other change in vision
- eye pain or tearing
- red or bloodshot eye
- sensitivity of eye to light
- Eye irritation
- swelling of the membrane covering the white part of the eye
Some side effects of ganciclovir ophthalmic may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Decrease in vision lasting approximately 2 to 4 weeks
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: intraocular implant, ophthalmic gel
The following side effects are for the ophthalmic gel only; if available, the manufacturer product information for the intraocular implant should be consulted for additional information.
Very common (10% or more): Blurred vision (60%), eye irritation (20%), transient burning/stinging sensations
Common (1% to 10%): Punctate keratitis, conjunctival hyperemia[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Zirgan (ganciclovir ophthalmic)." Sirion Therapeutics, Tampa, FL.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects of ganciclovir ophthalmic may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about ganciclovir ophthalmic
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: ophthalmic anti-infectives
- Ganciclovir ophthalmic
- Ganciclovir (Ophthalmic)
- Ganciclovir Intraocular (Advanced Reading)
- Ganciclovir Ophthalmic (Advanced Reading)
- Ganciclovir (AHFS Monograph)
- Ganciclovir Ophthalmic Gel (FDA)
- Ganciclovir (Ophthalmic) (Wolters Kluwer)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.