Ganciclovir ophthalmic Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 1, 2020.
For the Consumer
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: ophthalmic gel/jelly
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, ganciclovir ophthalmic may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking ganciclovir ophthalmic:
- Blurred vision
- red, sore eyes
- Painful irritation of the clear front part of the eye
- redness of the white part of eyes or inside of the eyelids
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ganciclovir ophthalmic: intraocular implant, ophthalmic gel
The following side effects are for the ophthalmic gel only; if available, the manufacturer product information for the intraocular implant should be consulted for additional information.
Very common (10% or more): Blurred vision (60%), eye irritation (20%), transient burning/stinging sensations
1. "Product Information. Zirgan (ganciclovir ophthalmic)." Sirion Therapeutics, Tampa, FL.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
More about ganciclovir ophthalmic
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 6 Reviews
- Drug class: ophthalmic anti-infectives
- Patient Information
- Ganciclovir Intraocular (Advanced Reading)
- Ganciclovir Ophthalmic (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.