Diamox Sequels Side Effects
Generic Name: acetazolamide
Note: This document contains side effect information about acetazolamide. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Diamox Sequels.
For the Consumer
Applies to acetazolamide: oral capsules, oral tablets, parenteral powder for injection
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to acetazolamide: compounding powder, injectable powder for injection, intravenous powder for injection, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet
Adverse reactions occurring early in therapy have included paresthesias, tinnitus, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and drowsiness.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions including shock and fatalities[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Loss of appetite, electrolyte disturbances, metabolic acidosis and hypokalemia with long term therapy, hyponatremia osteomalacia with long-term therapy, hyper/hypoglycemia[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Photosensitivity
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, melena[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Paresthesias (up to 20%)
Frequency not reported: Transient myopia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Growth retardation in children[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Flushing, malaise, thirst, fatigue, fever, hearing disturbances[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Diamox Sequels (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc, Pomona, NY.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Acetazolamide for Injection (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Sterimax Inc, Kingston, OR.
4. "Product Information. AcetaZOLAMIDE (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A. Inc, Hawthorne, NY.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Diamox Sequels (acetazolamide)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: carbonic anhydrase inhibitor anticonvulsants