BeneFix Side Effects
Generic Name: coagulation factor ix
Note: This document contains side effect information about coagulation factor ix. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name BeneFix.
More frequent side effects include: dizziness, nausea, skin rash, and urticaria. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to coagulation factor ix: intravenous powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, coagulation factor ix (the active ingredient contained in BeneFix) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking coagulation factor ix:
Incidence Not Known
- blurred vision
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- chest pain
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- pains in the chest, groin, or legs, especially calves of the legs
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- severe headaches of sudden onset
- sudden loss of coordination
- sudden onset of shortness of breath for no apparent reason
- sudden onset of slurred speech
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- sudden vision changes
- tenderness, pain, swelling, warmth, skin discoloration, and prominent superficial veins over affected area
- tightness in the chest
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of coagulation factor ix may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Change in taste
- loss of taste
- pain in the arms or legs
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to coagulation factor ix: intravenous kit, intravenous powder for injection
Hematologic side effects have included and the development of high-titer inhibitors necessitating alternative treatments to factor IX replacement therapy.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included hives, rash, and flushing.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included headache, dizziness, taste perversion (altered taste), shaking, and drowsiness.[Ref]
General side effects have included fever.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision.[Ref]
Renal side effects have e included renal infarction.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Alphanine SD (coagulation factor IX)." Grifols Biologicals Inc, Los Angeles, CA.
2. "Product Information. Mononine (coagulation factor IX)." CSL Behring, King of Prussia, PA.
3. "Product Information. BeneFIX (coagulation factor IX)." Wyeth Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about BeneFix (coagulation factor ix)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous coagulation modifiers