Anbesol Side Effects
Generic Name: benzocaine topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzocaine topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Anbesol.
For the Consumer
Applies to benzocaine topical: cream, film, gel/jelly, lotion, lozenge/troche, ointment, paste, powder for suspension, solution, spray, swab, tablet disintegrating
Other dosage forms:
- topical application gel/jelly, topical application liquid, topical application ointment, topical application solution, topical application spray
Along with its needed effects, benzocaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Anbesol) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzocaine topical:
Incidence Not Known
- Bluish-colored lips, fingernails, or palms
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- high fever
- pale skin
- rapid heart rate
- sore throat
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzocaine topical: compounding powder, mucous membrane gel, mucous membrane liquid, mucous membrane lozenge, mucous membrane paste, mucous membrane powder for reconstitution, mucous membrane spray, mucous membrane swab, mucous membrane tablet disintegrating, rectal ointment, rectal suppository, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray, topical stick, topical swab
Local side effects have included burning and stinging.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included angioedema.
Hematologic side effects have included methemoglobinemia. FDA continues to receive reports of methemoglobinemia from postmarketing reporting.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Vagisil Feminine Cream (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
2. "Product Information. Americaine Hemorrhoidal (benzocaine topical)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
3. "Product Information. Hurricaine (benzocaine topical)." Beutlich, Waukegan, IL.
4. "Product Information. Cepacol Lozenges (cetylpyridinium topical)." GlaxoSmithKline Inc, Oakville, IA.
5. "Product Information. Lanacane (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
6. "Product Information. Dermoplast (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
7. "Product Information. Lanacane with Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
8. "Product Information. Chloraseptic (benzocaine topical)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH.
9. "Product Information. Solarcaine Plus Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Memphis, TN.
10. "Product Information. Outgro Pain Relief (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
11. Throm MJ, Stevens MD, Hansen C "Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near misses." Pharmacotherapy 27 (2007): 1206-14
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Anbesol (benzocaine topical)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: topical anesthetics
- FDA Alerts (4)
- Anbesol Gel
- Anbesol (Advanced Reading)
- Anbesol Extra Strength (Advanced Reading)
- Anbesol Liquid (Advanced Reading)