How long does melatonin 5mg keep you asleep?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 6, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA like a medicine. It is classified as a dietary supplement and so data and research about its effects are limited. Studies suggest melatonin may be effective in promoting but not maintaining sleep (early morning awakening). There is no data available on how long one can stay asleep.
Melatonin is a manmade form of a hormone produced in the brain that helps regulate your sleep and wake cycle. It has been used in alternative medicine as a likely effective aid in treating insomnia (trouble falling asleep or staying asleep).
Evidence suggests that melatonin does promote sleep and is safe for short-term use.
For more information visit:
Related Medical Questions
- Is melatonin safe for kids to take?
- How long does 9mg melatonin stay in your system?
- Is taking 30mg melatonin safe?
- Melatonin Information for Consumers
- Melatonin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Melatonin (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Melatonin (118 questions, 158 members)