How long does melatonin 5mg keep you asleep?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA like a medicine. It is classified as a dietary supplement and so data and research about its effects are limited. Studies suggest melatonin may be effective in promoting but not maintaining sleep (early morning awakening). There is no data available on how long one can stay asleep.
Melatonin is a manmade form of a hormone produced in the brain that helps regulate your sleep and wake cycle. It has been used in alternative medicine as a likely effective aid in treating insomnia (trouble falling asleep or staying asleep).
Evidence suggests that melatonin does promote sleep and is safe for short-term use.
For more information visit:
Related Medical Questions
- Is taking 20mg melatonin safe?
- How long does melatonin stay in your system?
- Is melatonin safe for kids to take?
- Melatonin Information for Consumers
- Melatonin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Melatonin (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Melatonin (74 questions, 165 members)