Saquinavir and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with saquinavir which include:
saquinavir ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Food can enhance the levels of saquinavir in your body. Saquinavir should be taken with meals or within 2 hours after eating. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Grapefruit can raise the levels of saquinavir in your body. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor.
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipoproteinemia, Hypertriglyceridemia, Sitosterolemia)
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
PIs - hyperlipidemia
Hyperlipidemia has been observed in 10% of patients receiving ritonavir during clinical trials. Increases of 30% to 40% from baseline have been reported for total cholesterol and 200% to 300% or more for triglycerides. These effects have also been reported during postmarketing experience with other protease inhibitors (PIs) but may be the most dramatic with ritonavir. The clinical significance of these elevations is unclear. Severe hyperlipidemia is known to sometimes cause pancreatitis. In addition, some patients have reportedly developed symptomatic atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease after initiating PI treatment. Patients with preexisting hyperlipidemia may require closer monitoring during PI therapy, and adjustments made accordingly in their lipid-lowering regimen. PI therapy should be administered cautiously in patients with coronary artery disease or a history of ischemic heart disease.
- "Product Information. Invirase (saquinavir)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Lexiva (fosamprenavir)." GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- "Product Information. Crixivan (indinavir)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- "Product Information. Agenerase (amprenavir)." Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Pk, NC.
- Noor MA, Lo JC, Mulligan K, Schwarz JM, Halvorsen RA, Schambelan M, Grunfeld C "Metabolic effects of indinavir in healthy HIV-seronegative men." Aids 15 (2001): f11-8
- "Product Information. Fortovase (saquinavir)" Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- Costa A, Pulido F, Rubio R, Cepeda C, Torralba M, Costa JR "Lipid changes in HIV-infected patients who started rescue therapy with an amprenavir/ritonavir-based highly active antiretroviral therapy." AIDS 16 (2002): 1983-4
- "Product Information. Aptivus (tipranavir)." Boehringer-Ingelheim, Ridgefield, CT.
- Echevarria KL, Hardin TC, Smith JA "Hyperlipidemia associated with protease inhibitor therapy." Ann Pharmacother 33 (1999): 859-63
- Struble K, Piscitelli SC "Syndromes of abnormal fat redistribution and metabolic complications in HIV-infected patients." Am J Health Syst Pharm 56 (1999): 2343-8
- "Product Information. Reyataz (atazanavir)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
- Flynn TE, Bricker LA "Myocardial infarction in HIV-infected men receiving protease inhibitors." Ann Intern Med 131 (1999): 548
- "Product Information. Viracept (nelfinavir)." Agouron Pharma Inc, La Jolla, CA.
- Segerer S, Bogner JR, Walli R, Loch O, Goebel FD "Hyperlipidemia under treatment with proteinase inhibitors." Infection 27 (1999): 77-81
- "Product Information. Norvir (ritonavir)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
- Sullivan AK, Feher MD, Nelson MR, Gazzard BG "Marked hypertriglyceridaemia associated with ritonavir therapy." AIDS 12 (1998): 1393-4
- "Product Information. Kaletra (lopinavir-ritonavir)" Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
- Karmochkine M, Raguin G "Severe coronary artery disease in a young HIV-infected man with no cardiovascular risk factor who was treated with indinavir." AIDS 12 (1998): 2499
- Tsiodras S, Mantzoros C, Hammer S, Samore M "Effects of protease inhibitors on hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, and lipodystrophy - A 5-year cohort study." Arch Intern Med 160 (2000): 2050-6
Saquinavir drug interactions
There are 847 drug interactions with saquinavir
Saquinavir disease interactions
There are 6 disease interactions with saquinavir which include:
More about saquinavir
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: protease inhibitors
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|No interaction information available.|