Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 21, 2022.
The usual dietary intake of potassium by the average adult is 50 to 100 mEq per day. Potassium depletion sufficient to cause hypokalemia usually requires the loss of 200 or more mEq of potassium from the total body store.
Dosage must be adjusted to the individual needs of each patient. The dose for the prevention of hypokalemia is typically in the range of 20 mEq per day. Doses of 40–100 mEq per day or more are used for the treatment of potassium depletion. Dosage should be divided if more than 20 mEq per day is given such that no more than 20 mEq is given in a single dose.
Each K-DUR 20 tablet provides 20 mEq of potassium chloride.
Each K-DUR 10 tablet provides 10 mEq of potassium chloride.
K-DUR tablets should be taken with meals and with a glass of water or other liquid. This product should not be taken on an empty stomach because of its potential for gastric irritation (see WARNINGS).
Patients having difficulty swallowing whole tablets may try one of the following alternate methods of administration:
- Break the tablet in half, and take each half separately with a glass of water.
- Prepare an aqueous (water) suspension as follows:
- Place the whole tablet(s) in approximately ½ glass of water (4 fluid ounces).
- Allow approximately 2 minutes for the tablet(s) to disintegrate.
- Stir for about half a minute after the tablet(s) has disintegrated.
- Swirl the suspension and consume the entire contents of the glass immediately by drinking or by the use of a straw.
- Add another 1 fluid ounce of water, swirl, and consume immediately.
- Then, add an additional 1 fluid ounce of water, swirl, and consume immediately.
Aqueous suspension of K-DUR tablets that is not taken immediately should be discarded. The use of other liquids for suspending K-DUR tablets is not recommended.
More about K-Dur (potassium chloride)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.