Generic name: glucagon 3mg
Dosage form: nasal powder
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
Important Administration Instructions
BAQSIMI is for intranasal use only.
Instruct patients and their caregivers on the signs and symptoms of severe hypoglycemia. Because severe hypoglycemia requires help of others to recover, instruct the patient to inform those around them about BAQSIMI and its Instructions for Use. Administer BAQSIMI as soon as possible when severe hypoglycemia is recognized.
Instruct the patient or caregiver to read the Instructions for Use at the time they receive a prescription for BAQSIMI. Emphasize the following instructions to the patient or caregiver:
- Do not push the plunger or test the device prior to administration.
- Administer BAQSIMI according to the printed instructions on the shrink-wrapped tube label and the Instructions for Use.
- Administer the dose by inserting the tip into one nostril and pressing the device plunger all the way in until the green line is no longer showing. The dose does not need to be inhaled.
- Call for emergency assistance immediately after administering the dose.
- When the patient responds to treatment, give oral carbohydrates to restore the liver glycogen and prevent recurrence of hypoglycemia.
- Do not attempt to reuse BAQSIMI. Each BAQSIMI device contains one dose of glucagon and cannot be reused.
Dosage in Adults and Pediatric Patients Aged 4 Years and Above
The recommended dose of BAQSIMI is 3 mg administered as one actuation of the intranasal device into one nostril.
If there has been no response after 15 minutes, an additional 3 mg dose of BAQSIMI from a new device may be administered while waiting for emergency assistance.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- How does the release of glucagon affect blood glucose levels?
- How much does Baqsimi cost?
- Is Baqsimi covered by Medicare?
- How do you use Baqsimi nasal powder?
- How do you administer a glucagon injection kit?
- How long does Baqsimi last?
- What is Gvoke (glucagon) used for and how does it work?
- How do you use the GlucaGen hypokit?
More about Baqsimi (glucagon)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Patient Tips
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: glucose elevating agents
- FDA Approval History