User Reviews for Tretinoin topical to treat Photoaging of the Skin

Also known as: Retin-A, Altreno, Retin A Micro, Refissa, Atralin, Obagi, Avita, Renova, Altinac Retin-A and Renova

Tretinoin topical has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of Photoaging of the Skin. 80% of those users who reviewed Tretinoin topical reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Tretinoin topical Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Photoaging of the Skin.

Reviews for Tretinoin topical

lgb6720 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2020

“I wanted to go on to share my experience. I started off with 0.025 and 0.05 and my skin did ok. Had some initial flakiness, but moisturizer helped and it eventually improved. My dermatologist upped me to 0.1% and things took a turn for the worse. About two weeks after I began using it, my skin got really red and itchy, and I developed diarrhea which turned bloody. I had to go to the ER, thinking I had something terrible wrong and it turned out that high dosage (0.1%) of Tretinoin was the culprit. Once I got off it, my GI symptoms went away and the redness of skin went away. So proceed with caution. The lower dosage of 0.05% did improve the appearance of my skin.”

steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

“33 y/o male here. I've been using tretinoin 0.05% for just over a month now. I have yet to have any negative side effects I've read about from others; this had me wondering if Walgreens gave me a fake Rx haha. I haven't had any peeling, sensitivity or any type of reaction :: fingers crossed :: That being said, I have been using it every night by itself and then moisturing in the a.m. and putting on Strivectin's clear sunblock everyday before I go out. I'm hoping I won't have any purge as I've gone this long without any negative side effects. I can't help but wonder if the fact I follow a keto diet and take supplements keeps the purge at bay? Perhaps many people have a bad or prolonged purge due to their diet? Try it and see if a change helps since we know sugar induces AGEs (Advanced Glycation End products affecting collage)!”

Annylisa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2020

“I have almost a year since I am using Retin A and let me tell you that at the beginning its rough. When you just begin using it, start with 0.025%, and once in 3 days, after 2-3 weeks do it once in 2 days, and always watch your skin, how does it feel. If it's ok, after about a month you can use it every night. If you will peel like a snake - YES, if it might feel like burning or sensitive -YES. But don't give up, I promise it is worth it. It's not going to pay off instantly, but in time you will see an improvement of your skin. Remember to use SPF on your face everyday, because Retin-A peels off the first layer of your skin, and it's very delicate. Put your moisturizer at night, after applying Retin A, and in the morning before SPF. After about 7 months I switched to 0.05. My skin is glowing. And everyone thinks I'm 21, but I'm 31. I swear its WORTH IT.”

Allyson February 13, 2019

“I have been using Tretinoin cream for 24 years. After "decades" of use, I consider it a miracle cream. I started at 36. I'm now 60 and have the skin texture (porcelain-like) of a 20-something. No, I don't look 20 BUT no wrinkles, except a few tiny lines when I smile. No botox either. I give Retin-A ALL the credit. I've been using the strongest dosage (.1%) for 20+ years & no side effects from long-term use. Why isn't everyone using it? Makes no sense. My advice is save your money on high-end moisturizers, scrubs, and serums, & put your skincare dollars where it really counts- Retin-A. If you see an article downplaying the effectiveness of Retin-A for anti-aging, they're probably greedy little buggers trying to sell you another product. Seriously, NOTHING trumps this stuff!!! Use it not only on your face, but also neck, decolette, and hands. I regret I didn't start earlier on those other body parts.”

AG12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2013

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I'm using Retin-a 0.025 gel version of tretinoin. My review is more of an encouragement rather than full review. My full review will happen after at least a year of usage. Current usage - 2 months. So, you see, within 2 months of usage already deserves a 8 score rating from me. I could easily give it higher but I rather wait for my full review. Now, I have read many of what the users said here and on the Internet. It will be best for new users not to pay too much attention of users below 2 months of usage. Because all you hear is pain, breakout, worries and eventually the key way they use = give up. It's your choice. But please read those who have actually used tretinoin for at least 6 months. ”

98hondadawn · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2014

Retin-A (tretinoin): “Been using Retin A for over 10 years, for photo aging and acne. I'm 51 and routinely am told I look like my 33 yo daughter & I could be sisters. I'm also a sunscreen fanatic & I believe that's the key to maintaining your results. This product truly does work. You have to be patient and practice overall good skin care - but this works.”

leonorsousa August 7, 2009

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I've been using Retin-A for two months. I was concerned about some mild signs of photoaging of the skin (surface wrinkles, uneven texture), blackheads on my nose and enlarged pores. Retin-A has done wonders for my skin: it's texture is more even and although the blackheads and enlarged pores aren't completely gone, they've improved considerably. If you have these concerns, I definitely recommend using this product - but you have to be patient.”

AngelaSymon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2016

Retin-A (tretinoin): “Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels. My skin became more youthful, without pigmentation, brighter, wrinkles and fine lines became less visible and its only within first 2 months of usage, i'm pretty impressed! Thanks okdermo.com! Will use it all my life, would recommend it to everyone who have signs of aging, wrinkles, color fading, discoloration etc problems. Angela”

Anonymous May 13, 2012

Atralin (tretinoin): “I began using this as an anti-aging method along with Obagi Hydroquinone for dark spots. At first I used it every night but almost immediately my skin dried up. It was embarrassing and felt uncomfortable. I went down to using it every two nights (so Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday for example) and within two days my skin returned almost to normal. There is still a tiny bit of flaking, a healthy amount. And I have to say the skin that's left looks amazing-so smooth. Other than the dark shadows under my eyes, for the first time in a long time I feel I could go with little to no makeup. This product works fast.”

DeeBarber August 18, 2015

“Not only is this medication great for anti aging purposes but is also great for a condition called milia. Not many ppl know of it but it's a lot different then acne. It's trapped dead skin cells under your skin that forms what looks like a white head only you can't pop it. To get rid of them you need to exfoliate a lot. This cream just speeds up the process. So not only do you get rid of pesky little white bumps on your face but you get the anti aging benefits too. And yes it does take a while for your skin to adjust. Dryness and peeling and flaking occur for a while after you start treatment but if you truly want it to work you have to be patient and let the cream do its job..”

Elly29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2019

Retin-A (tretinoin): “Before I started using Retin A ,my face looked dull and tired . I had very sensitive skin and no cream would help my face look plump and moisturized. I had also some wrinkles becoming more prominent . I felt old and ugly although I am still young (turning 29) . After I started using it ,my face was red and sensitive for about 2 weeks, but now my skin adapted to it and it does not hurt anymore. I use a low strength for now but to get to the point. I look awesome and people are shocked when they hear I am 29 . My pores look are almost gone, my skin elasticity had improved a lot, my face looks plump and hydrated and most of all. It helped with my festoons a lot (I had severe festoons under my eyes.) This is a cream to die for and I totally recommend it. There's nothing better out there in my opinion ”

Elle May 14, 2020

Retin-A (tretinoin): “If you stick it out and are patient with this - the results are incredible. One piece of advice is moisturize!!! A LOT!! The gel is way better than the cream imo. The gel burns so bad though whereas the cream didn't. I've been using retin-a since February and it's May now and I have the worst purge I've ever had but now my skin is flawless. Stick it out. Amazing for tightening pores, clearing acne, and just gives your skin an overall healthy look to it. 10/10 be patient”

Esu · Taken for 10 years or more March 28, 2020

“Male. 49 years. Been using tretinoin treatment since I was 35. Honestly I think I look 40 on bad days and 35 on fantastic well rested days. Seriously it works. I started on the 0.025 and worked up to the 0.05 after 2 tubes of the 0.025 and have been on 0.05 as a night moisturizer ever since.”

MLPR January 5, 2016

“I'm 52, sought help from a dermatologist for under skin bumps, blackheads and oily skin. I've been using this product for a few months now and in the beginning, as stated in other posts, I experienced dry, irritable skin but in the past few weeks, I've noticed a noticeable change. My skin is radiant, even tone and the bumps are practically all gone. I use coconut oil as a night moisturiser and this cream daily. I also use a sunscreen. I have been getting very positive comments on the youthfulness of my skin. :)”

skin doctor! April 30, 2011

“It is like magic. If you want to look younger use it. It needs to be used for a long time. years for example. No side effects apart from mild irritation goes with time and sensitivity to sun. The gel once in the evening is my recommendation.”

Melllllll December 10, 2015

“I've used this product for almost a year now. I experienced mild dry skin the first couple of days, which eventually faded. My occasional mild acne cleared up immediately and youthful, radiant skin appeared. I started getting compliments. Five months passed and my tube was coming to an end, so I called for a refill. Apparently my dermatologist recommends a check up every six months so my refill was declined. The soonest I could be seen was 3 weeks later. As I started the new tube I noticed extremely dry, flakey, red skin and acne in spots I've never had before on my face. This freaked me out! But I continued the cream and it all cleared up after a week. I now have clear, radiant skin again. Moral of the story, don't lose hope. Give it time.”

James · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2018

“My ex girlfriend turned me onto Retin A as she has beautiful skin. I have been using .05% and mixed it with a night moisturizer and pine cone extract. The colour is a bit dark as the extract is brown. After 3 months of nightly use the results are amazing when used in this combo. My crows feet around my eyes are almost unnoticeable. The wrinkles that used to be on my forehead are gone. I don't wake up with bags under my eyes either. I'm 54 and people comment that I look years younger as my skin is radiant and glows. My miracle cream...”

LA June 24, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin): “37/f here...I have used retinol on and off since I was a teenager and got into my mom's supply. I looked like I got a terrible sunburn the first time I used it on my teenage face. The first few weeks/months are hard but it helps if you ease into it and only use it every other night or every two nights, or even once a week, then increase the frequency as your skin gets acclimated to it. I am often complemented on my skin and am mistaken as being at least ten years younger than I am. I recently had a baby and used some on my stretch marks and c section scar and the stretch marks are practically gone five months later with use only once a week. Retinol has been a godsend for me.”

Annmarie0072 August 7, 2015

“I have been using Retin-A (Tretinoin) 0.1% cream for a little over a year. I had used milder products prior to using this to even my skin tone as well as diminish some enlarged pores but wasn't getting the result I wanted. Within weeks of using the Tretinoin my skin tone evened out and pores began to shrink. The first week I did experience some breakouts which for me had never happened before but I was informed this could happen by my doctor because the skin is expelling all impurities. The breakouts cleared and beautiful skin appeared. I've read horror stories but in each it's been clear that either their doctors failed to properly council them on this medicine OR they purchased online with little to no knowledge of how to properly use it”

Tretinoina user February 6, 2016

“I have been using the 0.05 tretinoin generic brand for two months. It has done a great improvement on my skin. The beginning was rough but I continued till my skin was adjusted and now I use it every night. It's cheaper in Mexico if you have a chance to get there.”

Ginna68 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2018

“I’m 68 and have used Tretinoin for four months. The first 2-3 weeks of use my skin did peel and burn. After putting this product on at night, I use an oil serum and a night moisturizer. It helps to soothe my skin. I love this product and I get so many compliments on my smooth and younger looking skin. If you’re getting your face waxed, don’t use this 1-2 days before. My skin burned. I use daily moisturizer and sunscreen daily over Tretinoin.”

anita from Montana August 16, 2009

Atralin (tretinoin): “Atralin has a really nice consistency, seems to be mildly moisturizing, and didn't irritate my skin, perhaps because I'd been using a much milder tretinoin compound already. I love the improved texture of my skin after nine months of use. Rather than irritating my rosacea (I'm 51 years old), it speeds up the sloughing that I experience so that the episodes are shorter. My doctor and I discovered years ago that adding a tretinoin compound improved the results from using the rosacea product. Incredibly expensive but worth it.”

Tasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2019

“I started using this for acne and sun damage. I had acne along my jaw that would not go. Tried everything, but spots were forming and taking weeks to go down and then another 2 would appear and so on!! I had slight peeling the first 2 weeks of using Tretinoin and skin was very dry. But the key is to start very slowly! Twice a week for the first 2 months and then at 3 months I began to use it every night whilst leaving one day a week where I did not use it. For minimum side effects and dodging the ‘purging’ stage you need to build it up slowly, your skin needs to adjust to it and use a small amount. 5 months in and acne had cleared up. The sun damage is taking longer but overall skin is looking smoother and any spots that appear-go within a few days! Crazy expensive though-but worth it!!”

West coaster · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2018

“I been using this on and off for a few years. I started office with the middle dose which is 0.5. It does peel your skin, (THAT’S WHAT YOU WANT!) I want it to peel the dead, scarred, wrinkled layer off. It looks kinda bad peeling, but it lessens in a few weeks. I never had bad wrinkles, and look way younger than I am. I would have to say this does the job of peeling away fine lines, smoother and more glowing complexion. It will peel, sting, and burn, but that means it’s working. I have gotten those big cystic pimples too under my skin, but that’s good - it means it’s pushing hidden acne out. I’m glad I got this and will use as long as they make it. Also I use Night of Olay as a moisturizer”

ChesneyA December 12, 2014

“Never wrote reviews on products before but this deserves a positive review. Was struggling with Oily skin had it very bad with is not a bad thing as we age slower when it comes to wrinkles only problem was that 2 hours after washing my face it was oily enough to fry eggs in.Was recommended to use Roacutane but side effects with dry skin was to bad and Dermatologist put me on Retin A. used it for over 6 months now and I doubt I will come off it as my skin is as smooth as ever much brighter and clearer and oiliness under control with a good moisturizer. This is truly is a miracle cream if you stick it out. Use a good face wash like Cytaphil face soap and Nutraderm moisturizer it works Great.”

Male Vanity · Taken for 10 years or more December 9, 2018

Retin-A (tretinoin): “I'm Asian and I stay in a tropical country. This product was widely introduced here when I was in my teens and I was quick to use it since it was highly recommended by the big name dermatologists of that time. I had problematic skin back then and it was recommended by my own dermatologist. I was fourteen then. Now, I'm 41 and I'm often told I look younger. Even if I'm a male professional, that still matters a lot! I could still remember temporarily stopping for less than a year cause I'd have spells of temporary severe dry skin and, once, eczema, but I jump on to it once my skin has stabilized. Of course, good skin maintenance does help and seeking professional help if something does not seem ok is best, but I would say this product works. Start while you're young (best if you can start with some professional help!).”

CDM49 December 25, 2013

“I have Irish skin whatever that means, kind of pearl white ha ha and I've lost a lot of weight so yeah the wrinkly's come out more, I apply Bio Oil before the gel dries and penetrates the skin. The secret is to be constant and not over do it.”

Saraih January 8, 2016

“It is effective on both aging and acne but I used it so long I think I built up a tolerance of sorts. I switch it up with Tazorac to keep my skin guessing. I like the cream better in the winter (less drying) and the gel better in the summer (when my skin gets oily).”