User Reviews for Tofacitinib

Also known as: Xeljanz, Xeljanz XR

Tofacitinib has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 135 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Tofacitinib reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
4.3
Summary of Tofacitinib reviews 5.4 135 reviews

Reviews for Tofacitinib

Concerned · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2021

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Was diagnosed with UC 2012, that was after 2 years of trying to self diagnose myself. Been on so many different meds. I've been on this medication for about 3 months 10mg 2 times a daily and I have to say it's been a ride. I was going to the bathroom a lot. Now I'm not going at all. Every week I have to take laxatives because I'm not going to the bathroom at all. It's causing weight gain. I'm extremely tired now as well. I can't keep my eyes open. I was driving my husband and I home and was almost in an accident as it hit me all of a sudden. Pulled over so he could drive but imagine what is would be like if I was alone. I'm so uncomfortable and the nausea and headache are unbearable. I work from home so it helps to step away from the computer but I'll say my symptoms on the meds aren't getting me anywhere I need to be.”

Ray · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have had Colitis for over 5 years. I have tried quite a few other drugs and then I tried Xeljanz Worst drug I have have taken. Put me in the hospital for 6 days. Be careful”

patcwin · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 4, 2021

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Ulcerative Colitis: “life saver for me since I started using it 2 years ago, it took a few weeks to a month to finally get me under control but once that happened It has been really good. I was very sick and now in remission. I only hope it stays this way. Just remember that it took a year and a half on prednisone and other drugs to keep me somewhat healthy and that it only took this a month and a half to get me back to where I could leave the house and not be scared.”

Rose's Husband · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My wife passed away on 3/30/16. She was on Xeljanz for about three months before she became ill. Xeljanz lowers your immune system, and for that reason that she contracted Encephalitis. Sepsis ended up killing my wife. While she was on a respirator in her final days, she was diagnosed with slits in her intestines which caused her to bleed. One of the warnings published by Xeljanz.”

Rick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've been prescribed several of the 'conventional' medications - Methotrextate, Plaquenil, Sulfalazine, Arava, and none of them was able to put a dent in my RA condition. Tried the biologic Brenzys and that worked wonders however 4-5 months into the treatment I developed intense side effects and had to abandon. Moved on to Xeljanz 5mg twice a day and voila - magic. It's been 9 months already and I feel great. It has made me forget the pain of RA and the will to abandon everything. It has given me a new life and the will to live and do things again. Truly a wonder drug for me.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I do not recommend his drug to anyone! I have been on leflunomide for the last 4 months and it didn’t help so my doc put me on Xeljanz and immediately I started having sinus pressure and my eyes burning and developed bronchitis and upper respiratory infection. The fatigue is unimaginable and severe headaches along with body aches and my anxiety has increased to the point it’s intolerable. I ended up in the ER tonight due to the pain I was in and coughing up blood! I really just want relief from my RA symptoms but the side effects are far more worse than the RA pain itself!”

Rob August 28, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Same as many others. First two months were terrific. Inflamation and joint pain nearly all gone. Great energy. Felt years younger. Then came the throat/sinus infections with headaches and increased blood pressure. The latter scared me the most. Quit taking drug and called doctor. It’s sad. This drug holds so much promise but if it turns on you, look out.”

Husker · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “To begin with, everyone who has RA needs to choose between quality of life or quantity of life. You can't have both. The meds used to treat RA are very strong and have side effects. Period. I have been on XeljanzXR since early January and have not experienced any of the bad side effects yet. It is controlling my RA well, in conjunction with Methotrexate, folic acid and leucovorin. Previously, I have been on Enbrel and Humira. Enbrel worked for a long time, Humira was okay but not as good and now XeljanzXR.”

MzLady · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “my rheumatologist prescribed Xeljanz almost immediately I knew something was wrong long story short I had blood clots in my lungs twice within 3 months. And now I am on blood thinners for the rest of my life!”

Bridge · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Been on this Xeljanz poison for 3 and a half months. I got worse and worse with pain. Muscle weakness. Enlarged liver. Terrible stomach problems excruciating pain in my guts and constant nausea.Liver pain, swelling in feet, hands, wrist and general unwell feeling. Developed chest infections. The chemist ran out so I was without it for 3 days. Stomach...good! No liver pain!!! Not one ounce of swelling. Night sweats stopoed. Burning up feeling stopped. Day one back on it...all symptoms back!!!Dreadful poison. I'm stopping it.”

Kens44 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 11, 2016

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “37 inflamed and 18 painful joints before my first dose. 2 months later, 4 inflamed and 2 painful joints 6 months later, 2 inflamed and 1 sore joint! The best RA drug I have taken to date. I have been on the drug for 6 years. I had been suffering from RA since 1987!”

Sienna June 8, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am currently on lefunimide only and my symptoms are getting worse so doctor prescribes xeljanz. I have taken every injectable including remicade infusions that eventually all stopped working. I have to say I am scared to take this drug. I have read all your reviews and it doesn't make me feel any better. For those of you who take prednisone on a regular basis, I just wanted to share with you that my bones got so brittle from having to take prednisone to get flares down. I am an avid walker and my fibula just ended up breaking because of steroid usage. Currently I have inflammation in my neck so badly that I cannot turn my head at all but I just don't think I want to try this xeljanz pill. Still searching for thea better way.”

tula · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2013

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Started to work the second day on it. I don't wake up with stiff hands and my joints hurt way less. I'm almost off the prednisone. I love it! Has worked better than anything else I've tried. Copay is covered through their assistance.”

Jarvygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Xeljanz has been a miracle drug for me. Finally, after almost two years of horrible pain, severe diarrhea, etc.. I have a life again. I have tried so many pills, enemas, suppositories, biologics and everything failed me. The reason I rated it a 9 instead of 10 is because I still have an occasional day that I’m not doing well but I was in pain and had diarrhea EVERYDAY 20 plus times a day before Xeljanz. I never thought I would be so excited to say I finally have solid stool. Xeljanz started to work for me within two weeks, and is still working to this day. I have been on it four months. I highly recommend this medicine.”

kennylobe · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2014

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been in a clinical trial with this medicine for 2 years, it started working on the day after I started taking it, was in a wheelchair prior to taking this. I have had no bad side effects and highly recommend it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “After having limited relief with 2 injectables, I started Xeljanz (5mg once daily) 3 years ago with essential remission of my joint pains. I discontinued briefly after a shingles outbreak and vaccination only to have re occurring joint pain. I resumed after 6 weeks and have had good results since. Game changer!”

Cindy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Xeljanz for a little over 6 months. Finally there is something that really helps with my rheumatoid arthritis. I have tried several different medications before this and nothing touched it. Very thankful for this drug.”

SHELLY 51 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Woke up with severe migraine morning after starting treatment. Took it for 4 weeks, headaches constantly, like my head and eyes were in a vice. Back ache. Nausea burning in stomach chest and throat. Stopped after 6 as i couldn't stand it any more, quality of life was zero by then.”

Anonymous4259 October 12, 2015

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started taking this medicine after a long unsuccessful stint on methotrexate. Metho made me super tired and my hair fell out in clumps with almost no improvement in pain, stiffness, or energy level. Xeljanz changed my life! My hair also grew back full force on this medicine and my energy level is totally restored. I get a flare maybe twice a year on this medicine and have figured out that a prednisone taper and a month of this can kick me into a 4-8 month remission period. It really works and worked within the first week for me. I am 24 and have not experienced many side effects after the first week of pills. It has also decreased the severity of my seasonal allergies and totally eliminated the eczema I used to get all over the place.”

No nickname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2017

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Those who suffer with incurable rheumatoid arthritis understand the willingness to try a new medication that could possibly ease the painful symptoms of RA. I tried Xeljanz hoping it was the limited cure-all. I've never paid too much attention to the commercial warnings as I am like many others that think, that couldn't happen to me. We'll, it did. I ended up hospitalized for several months diagnosed with e-coli sepsis. In all fairness, this drug may be the one to help you. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Do take seriously the warnings that could develop while using this drug. It CAN happen to you.”

Madeline · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been taking xeljanz for 16 months. During that time I’ve has a couple surgeries and illnesses, so I had to stop temporarily. But, overall, when I take it regularly, I has given me my life back. I can do most anything now, before I was 80% bedridden.”

Me · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2018

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This med does work. My liver and kidney numbers begin to rise after the 2nd month and have to get off. It also causes lung pain - a burning, odd feeling inside the lungs and stabs of pain. Pain in back of lungs too. I want to tell you all to MAKE your rheumy try Minocycline, They swear its for mild disease, but I have severe RA, for 39 years-it took it completely away for 17 yrs. a miracle. The only reason I got off was getting pericarditis (heart inflamm.) and they worried it was a rare response (drug induced lupus) But 3 years later, still off it and still have a pericarditis, so talked the doc into letting me try it again. Go to The Road Back Foundation to read about bacterial infection theory of RA. I swear its true-why would RA go away for 17 years, but come back if I skipped a couple minocycline pills? Good luck to us all. Horrific disease.”

RAWoman123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This drug like so many RA drugs is awful and may be the end of you. I was on this drug and was promised the doctor only had one failure? Did that mean death? I have a history of heart disease on both sides of my family. Within one week my blood pressure was up by more than 20 points, I had palpitations, and was sick all the time due to stomach complaints. This is one of many RA "drugs" I have tried with limited to no effect except worsening pre-existing conditions. Get a CLUE doctors. Prescribing steroids like prednisone which only lead to further bone degeneration in a population with this problem? Doctors do not know WHAT they are doing. Remember, there is NO CURE for RA. Do not trust your DR. That is my advice. They do not have time to deal with you, they have patients booked back to back due to insurance. You are lucky if they really know your name without your chart or nurse telling them. ”

Em · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I'm 19 and have been on Xeljanz for around 6 months. I take it along with methotrexate, which I have done with all of my other treatment options. I've struggled with catching anything and everything since starting this med and when I get sick I have trouble fighting it off. From stomach bugs, ear infections, colds, anything. I have never struggled this much with catching things and seemingly small issues end up turning serious and landing me in the hospital. Other then this I have also struggled a lot with joint swelling on this drug. Not sure if I will be able to stick with this”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2017

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Have had RA for 35 years. Stopped taking Humira due to cost since I became eligible for Medicare, and medication was no longer giving swelling and pain relief. Tried Simponi and and Orencia with minimal relief. After starting Xeljanz had marked swelling and pain relief in six weeks. Had planned prior to starting Xeljanz to have two joints replaced, but have since cancelled due to improvement. Physician is decreasing methotrexate dosage slowly to see if can discontinue. Am so pleased.”

sanfshee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2013

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I experienced an improvement in pain, swelling and stiffness within the first two weeks. I was able to titrate off of prednisone and hydrocodone. However, I am experiencing stomach upset and rapid hair loss, which is very disconcerting.”

Pepper · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed with RA when I was 15 years old, I am now 22. I started Xeljanz after trying methotrexate(pill form) and Enbrel (injectable). I’m trying to find an arthritis medication that is in a pill form rather than injection. I was only on Xeljanz for about 4 months and did not have any noticeable improvement. What did happen was my face broke out in what appeared to be acne. Before this medication I never had issues with my skin, never had to use any special products. At first I thought it was due to having to wear a face mask 10hours a day at my job(due to covid) but as soon as I stopped the xeljanz my skin went back to normal. I was really disappointed as methotrexate did a similar thing to my skin but not as bad. Now I am trying Arava and hoping for the best.”

Dumplin’ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2019

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Started in November and started great. Blood work showed great improvement and I only had headaches and nausea but from there it was all downhill. I got shingles, my skin broke out in painful acne, my headaches got worse, my lungs would burn every morning with coughing, running nose, sneezing and I had no energy. I’d fall asleep on my couch every night with no warning. I got multiple cold sores which I hadn’t had in years and that’s when my rheum. took me off of it. They think it destroyed my immune system. I’ve been off it for a few days and my cold sores are gone, my energy is up and I overall feel much better. We may go back to low dose as I’m running out of treatment options and I’m only 29 but I don’t know if it’s worth it.”