User Reviews for Saliva substitutes topical to treat Xerostomia

Also known as: Biotene Mouthwash, Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray, Mouth Kote, Biotene Dry Mouth Toothpaste, Caphosol, SalivaMAX, Aquoral, Dry Mouth Mouthwash, XyliMelts, Biotene PBF Dry Mouth Toothpaste, Biotene Oral Balance, Orajel Dry Mouth Moisturizing, Aquae, Stoppers 4 Dry Mouth, NeutraSal, Moi-Stir, Glandosane Unflavored, Optimoist, Glandosane Peppermint, Glandosane Lemon AS Saliva Orthana Bioxtra Numoisyn Oasis Moisturizing Mouth …show all brand names

Saliva substitutes topical has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Xerostomia. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Saliva substitutes topical Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Xerostomia.

Reviews for Saliva substitutes topical

Phomp · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I started using Xyligel (my dentist gave me a sample) it works wonderfully. After using it for 4 days my gums and teeth hurt.. Last night I had to get up and brush my teeth and use a mouth wash because my gums hurt so much, I was getting scared. If I bite down on anything my teeth hurt. I am so disappointed that I can't use XyliGel anymore, it worked so well for me. Something is very wrong. I've been reading reviews on this product and a great many people are experiencing the same thing.”

Kissiefursmom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2013

Mouth Kote (saliva substitutes): “I take Vesicare for an overactive bladder. It helps a lot, but the side effect is extreme dry mouth!! I tried Bioteen and didn't like the taste. I then tried TheraBreath lozengers which seemed to help, but I didn't like waking up in the night and needing to suck on a strong mint flavored lozenger. When I tried Mouthkote spray I had instant relief and it left no real bad taste in my mouth. The bottle is next to me at night, so when I wake up with a Sahara desert in my mouth, I simply spray a couple times into my mouth, swish it around for 10 seconds, and fall right back to sleep.”

grandmacln · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2019

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I have dry mouth due to Sicca syndrome and at first I thought it was wonderful in relieving dry mouth at night. Gradually over several months, I had gastric issues and sensitive teeth. Also had to have 2 root canals in previously good teeth (related?). When it got really uncomfortable, I visited my doctor due to black gassy stools several times a day, terrible gas, pressure and rumbling in the stomach. Then re-flux started. Stool test and blood test were normal so Dr. made appt. with gastroenterologist (not seen yet). I found a reference to gastric side affect from Xylitol. I stopped using the xylimelts and symptoms went away.”

ReleifSeeker · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2013

Mouth Kote (saliva substitutes): “Have dry and painful mouth of unknown cause. I have tried Biotene mouth wash, the rubbery losenges and several other treatments, but finally found Mouth Kote. Clearly the best for me. Lime (but not sweet) tasting. Causes you to make saliva when spraying in. I seem to be able to use it as often as I like. Really helps.”

Alyssamae dog August 7, 2016

Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray (saliva substitutes): “Biotene went down my throat and fused my epiglottis shut so that I could not breathe. Finally freed it and developed pneumonia and spent three days in hospital. I was told it had wax in it. Very dangerous. Deadly”

TDawg · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2019

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I've been using Xyimelts Tablets for about one month since I starting using the CPAP for sleep apnea to help dry mouth caused by the CPAP. So far I have had only positive results. I wake up in the AM after a nights rest and the tablet has dissolved. I may have to move my tongue around to completely spread the tablet but the overall effect is positive.”

sparkles June 18, 2018

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I have sjogren's and loved xylimelts as it meant I could sleep several hours without a drink. But had a side effect of diarrhea and didn't associate it with xylimelts for 4 months even after other meds changes and gastro tests. Eliminated them 3 weeks ago and no diarrhea so xylitol was the culprit. Now thinking of trying mouth kote.”

JL · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2020

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “Have used xyliMelts for years for dry mouth at night. Definitely helps with sleep. Sometimes the area of the gum where I put the xyliMelts is a little sensitive, but worth it for the sleep. Have tried other products, but these are the best. I am 80 and developed this dry mouth at night about five years ago. No real cause determined. Discovered this product by trial and error. Dentists need to be informed. I told my dentist and she now recommends this product.”

PatM. January 15, 2017

Biotene Mouthwash (saliva substitutes): “I have sjogrens so have a dry mouth. From the first time I tried it I was impressed with no dryness from alcohol in my mouth, no burning. This mouth wash has kept my breathe and mouth slightly moist for awhile afterward use too. I highly recommend this for dry mouth, from medications or medical conditions.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2020

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “XyliMelts was recommended by my dentist’s office for dry mouth caused by meds that I am on. Used nightly as instructed for 1 year. Decayed front tooth in my bridge & 3 teeth in my lower jaw. Having to get dental implants & already got 3 crowns in lower jaw. Cost approximately $7k. Wish I never heard of Xylimelts.”

CPM · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2020

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “Been taking Xylimelts at night ( 1) for dry mouth due to breathing thru my mouth while sleeping. I'm 66 and I have OSA. During dry winter months while sleeping I would wake up with a terribly parched mouth several times a night. This really helps !! Side effect - seems to act like a mild laxative....”

MDD102016 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2016

NeutraSal (saliva substitutes): “I actually liked this product when I was using it, but hated the inconvenience of having to mix the powder. It was hard to use away from home. My doctor gave me a lot of samples but now he said it isn't available? Not sure why. I like a new product he gave me a sample of called Lubricity (it's an oral spray) and I love the convenience of it. It also seems to last considerably longer than NeutraSal and most of the other products I've tried. Unfortunately it's not in any stores by me yet”

Morgan Grimm · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2016

“I recently came across a new product that's on the market called Lubricity and I LOVE IT. It's an oral spray & so far seems to last MUCH longer than any other dry mouth spray I have ever used. I suffer from dry mouth & have for about 5 years. I ordered this product online since it's not sold in any stores near me. I came across it when doing some research online. They did offer a coupon code on the website when I bought it, seems like they have a different % off discount now but always seem to offer something. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!”

Sally · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2020

Biotene Oral Balance (saliva substitutes): “Husband has been using biotene spray for years due to the medicines that give him dry mouth. A few nights ago he sprayed some in his mouth and within a few minutes his throat constricted, he kept coughing and choking and I almost had to take him to the hospital. He drank some water and then took 2 antihistamines which seemed to help. He complained of a cough and soreness in throat for a couple of days after. He is better now.”

Jaack · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 1, 2017

Salivart (saliva substitutes): “Probably the closest to real saliva. No nasty after taste, very liquid, pressurized spray can. ONLY negative is availability. Not many stores/pharmacies carry this. Trying company web site and ebay & Amazon”

Allie July 12, 2021

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I’ve been using Xilomelts for several months and they were great at first . It seems I have developed an allergy to them . My mouth became so irritated that it was hard to eat anything. Corners of my mouth were a mess too. I didn’t realize that it was the xilimelts Thats was causing it until I stopped using them to experiment and see. Sure enough, the irritation stopped slowly . I won’t use them again . I’m so sad because they let me get a little sleep at night .”

JamesrPQ February 20, 2017

Aquoral (saliva substitutes): “I only tried a sample and not very good tasting. Price is around $500 per bottle, a month's supply I guess. Also, Medicare doesn't cover it and no coupons. Not sure if it would help, but it's too expensive for me.”

Becks · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2021

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I got a Cpap machine and my mouth has been cotton dry at night. Miserable. After around 6 months I got the first cavity I’ve had since I was 12 years old (I’m over 50). Since dry mouth causes cavities, I decided to try Xylimelts and WOW! I figured they would probably help some, hoping at least to make my mouth more comfortable at night, but I didn’t realize they could stimulate such saliva flow. I even drooled on my pillow. All I need is one a night. It sticks just right and is gone when I wake up. This is a fantastic product.”

Anonymous July 27, 2012

NeutraSal (saliva substitutes): “I was prescribed NeutraSal by my Rheumatologist. I am able to get through the day without having a dry mouth which made it hard for me to enjoy eating.”

Jack · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2020

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I use Xylimelts for dry mouth at night. I also have a CPAP machine. Recently I developed a very large sore where one of the two Xylimelts was used. I stopped using it and it went away.”

Bigsweet November 23, 2010

NeutraSal (saliva substitutes): “Outstanding product. Works really well. Easy to use. Worth every dollar.”

Lorrai · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2018

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “Had sores develop at site on gums where I attached the lozenges.”

Cotton Mouth from Denver · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2021

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “Recommended by dentist. After four days had hive like bumps inside my cheek. The tablets were inserted correctly, and adhered to the side of my gums. Sadly, this is not the answer for me.”

I like it · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

XyliMelts (saliva substitutes): “I use a BiPAB (Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure) for sleep apnea, and was getting dry mouth when I use it, the XyliMelts works well with no apparent side effects.”

Texan1 · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2017

Biotene Mouthwash (saliva substitutes): “Really bad after taste and didn't helped me at all. I'm seeing other options now to help my with the dry mouth.”

Learn more about Xerostomia