User Reviews for XyliMelts

XyliMelts has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings on Drugs.com. 26% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 53% reported a negative experience.

Xerostomia
4.1
Mucositis
4.7
Summary of XyliMelts reviews 4.2 21 reviews

Reviews for XyliMelts

Phomp · Taken for less than 1 month · October 23, 2018

For Xerostomia: “I started using Xyligel (my dentist gave me a sample) it works wonderfully. After using it for 4 days my gums and teeth hurt.. Last night I had to get up and brush my teeth and use a mouth wash because my gums hurt so much, I was getting scared. If I bite down on anything my teeth hurt. I am so disappointed that I can't use XyliGel anymore, it worked so well for me. Something is very wrong. I've been reading reviews on this product and a great many people are experiencing the same thing.”

grandmacln · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 1, 2019

For Xerostomia: “I have dry mouth due to Sicca syndrome and at first I thought it was wonderful in relieving dry mouth at night. Gradually over several months, I had gastric issues and sensitive teeth. Also had to have 2 root canals in previously good teeth (related?). When it got really uncomfortable, I visited my doctor due to black gassy stools several times a day, terrible gas, pressure and rumbling in the stomach. Then re-flux started. Stool test and blood test were normal so Dr. made appt. with gastroenterologist (not seen yet). I found a reference to gastric side affect from Xylitol. I stopped using the xylimelts and symptoms went away.”

Dianne · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 15, 2018

For Mucositis: “I was told by my dentist to use these or something like it for dry mouth. I did. They work great. Till they started eating my gums! I thought I had an abscess on on molar then the other side flared up. Both in the same place I put the melts. Seeing my dentist next week. Hope there is no permanent damage.”

sparkles · June 18, 2018

For Xerostomia: “I have sjogren's and loved xylimelts as it meant I could sleep several hours without a drink. But had a side effect of diarrhea and didn't associate it with xylimelts for 4 months even after other meds changes and gastro tests. Eliminated them 3 weeks ago and no diarrhea so xylitol was the culprit. Now thinking of trying mouth kote.”

Ann · April 21, 2022

For Xerostomia: “I had a very bad experience after taking Xylimelts. At first I did not know what was causing me to feel so unwell. My tongue was extra swollen and felt hot. I had Tingling in my mouth and tongue. My voice was very hoarse and a tightness in my chest. I started to shake slightly throughout my arms. legs and body. I did not know what was causing it and I rang a health line. I wondered if I had Covid though I rarely go out. As there was no warning on the box of medication I did not connect to start with then as I had not taken anything else I decided to google to see if that showed any side effects. It certainly did. I went to my doctor's and I was given another medication which did help. However it was a holiday so the night it happened I had nowhere to call apart from going to emergency dept. I am telling you this because I think you should state all the possible side effects on your medication on the enclosed leaflet or box. boxes. That way an earlier diagnosis can be made. I”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 7, 2020

For Xerostomia: “XyliMelts was recommended by my dentist’s office for dry mouth caused by meds that I am on. Used nightly as instructed for 1 year. Decayed front tooth in my bridge & 3 teeth in my lower jaw. Having to get dental implants & already got 3 crowns in lower jaw. Cost approximately $7k. Wish I never heard of Xylimelts.”

Allie · July 12, 2021

For Xerostomia: “I’ve been using Xilomelts for several months and they were great at first . It seems I have developed an allergy to them . My mouth became so irritated that it was hard to eat anything. Corners of my mouth were a mess too. I didn’t realize that it was the xilimelts Thats was causing it until I stopped using them to experiment and see. Sure enough, the irritation stopped slowly . I won’t use them again . I’m so sad because they let me get a little sleep at night .”

TDawg · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 28, 2019

For Xerostomia: “I've been using Xyimelts Tablets for about one month since I starting using the CPAP for sleep apnea to help dry mouth caused by the CPAP. So far I have had only positive results. I wake up in the AM after a nights rest and the tablet has dissolved. I may have to move my tongue around to completely spread the tablet but the overall effect is positive.”

CPM · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 28, 2020

For Xerostomia: “Been taking Xylimelts at night ( 1) for dry mouth due to breathing thru my mouth while sleeping. I'm 66 and I have OSA. During dry winter months while sleeping I would wake up with a terribly parched mouth several times a night. This really helps !! Side effect - seems to act like a mild laxative....”

JL · Taken for 2 to 5 years · January 21, 2020

For Xerostomia: “Have used xyliMelts for years for dry mouth at night. Definitely helps with sleep. Sometimes the area of the gum where I put the xyliMelts is a little sensitive, but worth it for the sleep. Have tried other products, but these are the best. I am 80 and developed this dry mouth at night about five years ago. No real cause determined. Discovered this product by trial and error. Dentists need to be informed. I told my dentist and she now recommends this product.”

Jo · July 9, 2021

“I have dry mouth due to three diff meds. Didn't know the damage dry mouth could cause other than needing to keep a bottle of water near at all times. One day a tooth just broke off. The dentist showed me that my teeth were the consistency of chalk. She recommended a choice of three or four products. They worked as long as I had one in my mouth but as soon as the substance as melted or gone my mouth was dry again. I ended up losing another couple of teeth. My tongue looks like it has large cracks all over it. Even when the dentist is working in my mouth she had to wet my tongue down every few minutes. Others think XyliMelts causes loss of teeth when it may be the dry mouth that causes it. That was my case anyway. Finally another dentist recommended XyliMelts! It has made a huge difference. I have had no side effects.Thank you so very much. Had I discovered it earlier I could have saved thousands of dollars, hours in a dentist chair, and several teeth.”

Xylimelts. · Taken for less than 1 month · March 12, 2022

For Mucositis: “I've been taking 550 mg of Xylimelts for the past 8 days. I've developed a condition of diarrhea, intestinal gas and hiccups all at once. Please respond if the conditions are the results of taking Xylimelts once a day at evening. Thank you. Bob”

Becks · Taken for less than 1 month · August 14, 2021

For Xerostomia: “I got a Cpap machine and my mouth has been cotton dry at night. Miserable. After around 6 months I got the first cavity I’ve had since I was 12 years old (I’m over 50). Since dry mouth causes cavities, I decided to try Xylimelts and WOW! I figured they would probably help some, hoping at least to make my mouth more comfortable at night, but I didn’t realize they could stimulate such saliva flow. I even drooled on my pillow. All I need is one a night. It sticks just right and is gone when I wake up. This is a fantastic product.”

Ngp2022 · Taken for less than 1 month · August 27, 2022

For Xerostomia: “I have diabetes and started using these for dry mouth. My blood sugar hasn't been over 180 for a year. Within a few days of using these my blood sugar was reading in the 250’s and higher with no other changes in my life except for the xylitol. It doesn't make sense because there is no sugar in the product and xylitol is not supposed to raise blood sugar but there it is!”

Warning · Taken for less than 1 month · May 28, 2022

For Xerostomia: “I thought they were great at first but my tongue would be extra sensitive after using them. I stopped after a week or so but my dry mouth kept me up all night recently so last night I used another one. Today my tongue has little sores all over it and it hurts to eat. I won't be using these again.”

Jack · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 31, 2020

For Xerostomia: “I use Xylimelts for dry mouth at night. I also have a CPAP machine. Recently I developed a very large sore where one of the two Xylimelts was used. I stopped using it and it went away.”

Lorrai · Taken for less than 1 month · January 17, 2018

For Xerostomia: “Had sores develop at site on gums where I attached the lozenges.”

I like it · Taken for less than 1 month · May 13, 2019

For Xerostomia: “I use a BiPAB (Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure) for sleep apnea, and was getting dry mouth when I use it, the XyliMelts works well with no apparent side effects.”

Cotton Mouth from Denver · Taken for less than 1 month · March 20, 2021

For Xerostomia: “Recommended by dentist. After four days had hive like bumps inside my cheek. The tablets were inserted correctly, and adhered to the side of my gums. Sadly, this is not the answer for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · January 2, 2022

For Xerostomia: “This product seemed to work except my blood sugar went up, almost doubled. I am now taking a break to see if blood sugar goes down.”

Dave h · Taken for less than 1 month · May 3, 2020

For Mucositis: “I have thick saliva from cancer treatments. Started on XyliMelts This stopped the thick saliva in first hour. So thankful I tried it.”

kay · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 25, 2020

For Xerostomia: “There it was in black and white print, adverse side effects allergic reaction of HIVES which I have all over my chest. And I took way too many. They are in the garbage now.”

More about XyliMelts (saliva substitutes topical)

Patient resources