User Reviews for Methimazole

Hyperthyroidism
5.3

Reviews for Methimazole

Gravessux · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 8, 2021

For Hyperthyroidism: “Methimazole has been great for me. I started at 10 mg, went immediately hypo, so dropped to 5, went hypo again, kept dropping until I just take 2.5 3x per week. I appear to be in remission, but I never want to stop taking it because it gave me my life back and I’m terrified of being hyper again. I was so sick before I started. I’ve been on it for over a year, had zero side effects and never gained weight.”

T · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2021

For Hyperthyroidism: “After waking up each morning with my right eye swollen I went to othamathologist and placed on an prescription eye drop. My condition became worse. I was diagnosed with hyperhroidism in September 2020 and had a ultra sound on my thyroid and thank God no nodules. I was placed on Methimazole 10 mg. It seems like my symptoms have gotten worse and my thyroid has became slightly bigger. I have night sweats, chronic itchy hives, swollen face, lips, pain in joints, blurred vision and brittle hair. I was beautiful women however this condition has extremely altered my appearance. I have a upcoming appointment with an endrocologist in hopes I can be helped.”

Micky · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2021

For Hyperthyroidism: “Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 10 years ago. Have taken methemazole since with no side effects. Have blood work done monthly to check levels and adjust dosage if needed. My thyroid levels do vary somewhat occasionally, however, I've never taken more then 10 mg. per day. My endo has suggested RAI to me however the thought of actually getting rid one of my organs is scary to me and I have heard of some real horror stories associated with this. Any feedback on this would be helpful.”

12345 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “When I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I believe this drug methimazole saved my life. I was having anxiety attacks heart palpitations like crazy and I thought I was literally going out of my mind. I would wake up with incredibly high heart rates Thinking I was having an anxiety attack before I found out I had hyperthyroidism. I would even sometimes hallucinate to a certain extent. Drinking alcohol was the only thing that helped me. I started off at 20 mg a day and to be honest I cannot remember any bad side effects except for after about a month I started feeling a whole lot better and felt like I had my life back. After a couple years I have reduced It down to 2.5 mg a day, which is where I am now. I have tried to lower my dose. But it seems to get worse each time I do so 2.5mg seems to be my sweet spot. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of negative comments on here so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to the side effects.”

Holly · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “I have been on methimazole for hypothyroidism and Graves disease for one year now and I have noticed side effects like extreme hair loss, bloating, constipation, upset stomach, fatigue and joint pain and weight gain. I'm almost in remission now and can't wait to get off of methimazole. I have also started seeing a naturopathic doctor and I'm absolutely amazed of the natural health benefits of food for hypothyroidism and would highly recommend a naturopathic doctor to anyone:) Tips for a healthy and natural recovery of the thyroid for hypothyroidism are to consume foods like cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and kale raw on a daily basis. I hope this msg will help”

healed now · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2012

Tapazole (methimazole) for Hyperthyroidism: “A serious bout of autoimmune hyperthyroidism had me very sick; traditional docs wanted to use RAI, radiation to kill off the thyroid; fortunately I read up on some Japanese and European studies that showed tapazole/methimazole solves the problem without killing the victim-thyroid. I fired the docs, got new ones at a major medical center, and started tapazole therapy. It took a closely monitored, gradually reduced dosing over 10 months, but I got well thanks to this miracle medicine.”

Texasgal January 27, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “This medicine is brutal. After a short week of Methimazole I began to start feeling aches in my muscles, nerves, and joints. I am miserable. I’m walking around here like a drunk lady. My head hurts too. My entire body feels like it’s been through a wreck. Dizziness Constipation Headaches Nausea Muscle pain Nerve pain Joint pain I feel nauseated and dizzy and can’t go poop now! My stomach is feeling so bad. And I feel unwell all day. I’m not sure if I can keep taking this medicine. Has anyone else felt this way? Help me!”

John · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “It works well to bring thyroid levels and antibodies down, but man you will THROW weight on like crazy. I cut my calories down by 30% and was still putting it on. Also seems to make me hold onto water (bloat) more.”

JAYD · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks. This medicine took about a full week to work so don’t be discouraged. I have hyperthyroidism auto immune disease and was very sick. So far I have zero side effects. I have read all the reviews and was scared what people have to say . I am grateful that I feel semi back to normal. I recommend this drug as of right now. My symptoms have subsided ”

SunShiine · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “I had a thyroid storm about 3-4 months ago and did the RAI 3X a day during my stay in the ICU along with methimazole 30mg a day and metoprolol 50mg a day. Immediately I did not have any side effects, within a month or 2 the extreme charley horses and numbness and shooting nerve pains, extreme tiredness and sleeping all day came, my hair is brittle and thinning and hair loss everywhere, my face got swollen chubby, periods got longer and heavier, weight gain was very fast and I’m unsure of how to shed even one pound. On a positive note, none of my hyperthyroidism symptoms have returned however I don’t know how to balance this out to avoid these pains and weight gain and tiredness and maintain a healthy thyroid. Has anyone had this?”

Brown Beauty · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2021

For Hyperthyroidism: “Was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism August 2020 and was put on 20mg of methimazole and with 1.5 weeks I gained a whopping 10lbs. My doctor took me down to 10mg and my weight, heart palpitations, sleepless nights slowly went away. Still having dry eyes, a little eye bulging in 1 eye accompanied with it being wider than the other, and blurred vision that I’m seeing an Ophthalmologist for now. Now I’m dealing with little red bumps and the feeling like something is always biting me. Always thinking a bug is crawling on me and itching all the time. I scratch so that I actually ends up with tiny sores mostly on my arms. Just did my blood work 1/5/2021 and was informed today that my levels are still low. Going to new endocrinologist next week to see if we can get this under control ASAP. I’m tired of it all and I’m tired of going to so many doctors all the time. I want my life back!!!!”

Tennis Chick · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 3, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I lost about 30 pounds before I was diagnosed with Graves disease and hyperthyroidism. My heart rate would get to 190 when I was playing pickleball or tennis and I would feel like I was going to pass out. My resting heart rate was 90. My TSH was .005. I started taking 10 mg of methimazole and after 3 months my TSH went to 4.7. So I started taking 5mg and 9 months later my TSH is 5.3. I have been on Methimazole for a total of 1 year and I'm going to ask my doctor to reduce my dosage to 5 mg every other day. I have been very fortunate in that I haven't had any side effects. I did gain 15 pounds back. When I first saw my endocrinologist, he wanted to use the radioactive iodine to destroy my thyroid. I told him I had read a lot of literature and I wanted to try the medicine first. Hopefully I will stay on this medicine for another 6 months and then be done with it. Now that I know what to look for, I will know if I start to go hyperthyroid again.”

Candles654 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “Yes, your hair will grow back. I was on Methimazole for 2 years and my hair thinned a lot, then I went in remission and when I stopped the meds I had TONS of hair grow back. I hadn’t even realized how much I lost until it started growing back all over. People thought I’d cut bangs, but it was just new hair! Unfortunately after being in remission 9 years my Graves is back and I had to go back on Methimazole. This time around I’m only on 5 mg but having a terrible time losing weight even with a 1200 calorie/day diet. Wondering if it caused water retention or if it’s just impossible to lose weight on it. :(”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I was prescribed low dose to treat hyperthyroidism. My T4 and T3 were normal but TSH 0.01. After one month I stopped taking. Horrible back and joint pain, my hands are numb, constant headache and weight gain. Can’t recommend this medication”

Positive experience · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 4, 2020

Tapazole (methimazole) for Hyperthyroidism: “I’ve been on Tapazole for several weeks now. I’ve seen many negative experiences online, and wanted to share my early positive experience. I am currently on a low dose, and within the first 3 weeks my hyperthyroidism has responded very well - levels were extremely high before and have come down to the upper end of normal range. TSH is still low, but I’m told that takes longer to respond to treatment. The first few days on Tapazole were challenging, but manageable: headaches, tiredness, overall feeling blah. I experienced some swelling from water retention, as well as itchy skin. A couple weeks in and most drug side effects have disappeared, and a lot of hyperthyroid symptoms have improved too. My heart is still racing, but overall I’m happy I tried this drug.”

Sean · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I was diagnosed with graves disease and saw two endos and a primary care. One endo prescribed methimazole 30mg/day and the other 5mg/day, the primary though 10mg/day was the right starting dose. I stayed with 5mg. Within 10 days or so my Free T4 was within range. A few months later my TSH was coming up. My TSH got to the high end of the range and I started having some depression and muscle cramps, so they lowered my dose. Now, I am on 2.5mg every other day and it's keeping my level. Good drug, I would say try it.”

surferguy October 13, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “In June 2020 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism due to heart palpitation. After blood test I was refer to endocrinologist. Initial test reading t4 31.6 and t3 11.6. started 10mg methimazole a day and 40 mg propanolol for palpitations. My second test methimazole 15mg a day and propranolol stayed the same. I started to feel short periods of being dizzy to longer periods of dizziness. t4 shows 18 and t3 8. My third blood test t4 12 and t3 at 6 all normal levels. THS level 0.01 now lower dosage back to 10 mg a day. and no more propanolol. My heart rate now 65 to 75bpm no palpitations. been told by doc TSH 0.01 will be back to normal in weeks (range 0.045 to 4.5) I gained some weight too... In conclusion I felt propranolol saved my life with heart palpitations, methimazole brought back my t4 and t3 levels way down to normal range t4 normal levels ( 9.0 to 26) current 12.1 t3 normal levels(4.0 to 11) current 6.0 tsh normal level (0. 045 to 4.5) current 0.001 low will see later Greetings from canada”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “Before I got Methimazole I went to the health food store and got liquid iodine and all my symptoms went away. I haven't started the medicine yet. But will go get my blood work to see where my levels are at.”

Whatever June 16, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I'm 29 years old male. I take methimazole for almost 4 months now. At first I had some slight side effects, but fortunately they are gradually going away as my dose is. I was initially on 30mg/day now I'm at 10mg/day as 2x5mg/day. I lost around 5 kg from the hyperthyroidism but now I've gained those back even +1 kg more. This med has worked pretty well on me and I don't have much( if not any) side effects now. I plan to use this medicine as long as it is needed and not go RAI. The only con is that I have to do lab tests often and I willingly do labs 1 time every month, until I go in the maintenance long term dose. Last time I did labs I was going almost hypo - FT4= 12.7(10.3-23.1) so I reduced the dose from 20mg to 10mg. My TSH has never changed and is still <0.02, but I don't care because I feel fine now. I was on metoprolol but I stopped that weeks ago. Let me tell you I feel just fine right now, I really love this med and I've never missed a dose. It works just perfect with me.”

Getbentster · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I was on this medication for 2 months I gained 30 pounds in 2 months. Brittle, broken, damaged hair loss. I stopped taking the medication after I got a liver scan, my liver is fatty and my doctor said I have the liver of an obese person. I would not recommend this medication to anyone unless you want to be morbidly obese.”

Angwl · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2018

For Hyperthyroidism: “I honestly believe methimazole saved my life. No more night sweats, no more insomnia (3-4 day at a time with no sleep at all), no more heart palpitations, no more anxiety, not more thinking I was losing my mind. No longer do I take propranolol for heart palpitations. After 3 years of struggling with hyperthyroisim, I’m finally back to my normal self. I’ve got my life back thanks to methimazole.”

Kenny May 10, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I have constant headaches, everyday! My left arm, hand, side of my neck goes numb and my body aches. I hate and don’t know what other alternatives there are out there besides some unknown mixture of chemicals that can cause liver failure and or death. This is the worst treatment option for anything that is suppose to help you. I absolutely think this medication is harming me more than helping me.”

Autoimmune Disease Collector · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I was on this methimazole medication for 3 weeks before I broke out into hives/rash on my feet, knees, hips, arms, wrists and back. I have sensitive skin so I'm used to being itchy, but this was the worst I've ever been - scratched my skin until it bled. It's been 3 weeks since I stopped taking it and my skin is STILL reacting with itching and red patches. Benedryl did nothing, but thankfully I was prescribed Atarax which saved my life. I have zero interest in trying this medication again, even though my Doctors want me to. Not sure what to do next as all my symptoms (tremors, insomnia, sweating, constant hunger, brain fog) have returned.”

Toni M · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “I have been on this med for a month now. It has thinned out my hair and made me gain weight. I have never had a weight issue in my life. I have the pain in my muscles and tooth sensitivity. I feel tired all the time.I can't wait to get off this med.”

hawaiigrl · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2013

For Hyperthyroidism: “I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism two years ago and an endocrinologist suggested Methimazole. I started on a lower dose and went in for blood work every three months and after about one year of tapering the medication I was taken off. The only side effect I noticed was the weight gain and some very heavy menstrual bleeding which has since resolved. I still have the extra weight but I no longer suffer from palpitations and tremors. This medicine worked well for me and I'm awaiting my tests to see if my thyroid function is still normal.”

MB1 December 3, 2019

For Hyperthyroidism: “After 11 days on methimazole of a 40 dose I had side effects of fever and chills that shook my whole body. Dr claimed that was not caused by RX. Stayed off 1 day, doctor told me to start again. Have chills, back ache, sore throat, cant sleep, tried and feel like I am in a fog. With so many bad reviews throughout the net, I say 85 percent are negative. How are Dr still pushing this med”

JrsMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2020

For Hyperthyroidism: “This is now my second attempt at taking methimazole as I thought I was in remission - but wasn't. I am currently on 5mg. The stomach pain is terrible and so sporadic. I am hoarse in the voice and can't jog anymore due to being out of breath. I am tall and lean and not overweight. I have begun to put weight back since starting the medicine 6 weeks ago. I am getting weird, red bumps on my skin. I am coming off of this medicine and looking into other options. I cannot do the stomach pain anymore.”

ShakeNBake · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2012

For Hyperthyroidism: “I have Grave's disease with a small node in my thyroid. Five Dr.'s that I went to, as the previous reviewer stated wanted to radiate and kill my thyroid which would require meds for hypothyroid for the rest of my life. I then found an endocrinologist who suggested that the node was small and that a small dosage of this medicine may control it. I was monitored very closely and went into remission after 2 years. After being okay for another 5 years my thyroid went hyper again and I was put back on a dosage of 2.5 mg/1x per day. The node has not changed in dimension or mass. So I am not healed but effectively am under control. I also have a very minor symptom of Graves' ophthalmopathy, which this medicine controls as well.”