User Reviews for Methimazole

Also known as: Northyx, Tapazole

Learn more about Methimazole.

Hyperthyroidism 11 reviews 9 medications

5.9
Summary of Methimazole reviews 11 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Methimazole

For Hyperthyroidism: "I was put on methimazole 10 mg late May. Within a month, I had gained 10 lbs, my finger and feet became swollen, pressure headaches that would not go away after taking Advil, it hurt just to walk, back pains, and I was soooooooo tired. I complained to my doctor and she lowered the dosage to 5 mg and then she took me off of it after my levels were ok. Then last week, I've had to go back on it again but I've noticed that my symptoms aren't that severe this time but I'm still continueing to gain weight. My doctor says I need to be on it and try to have my hyperthyroidism go into remission. I hate this drug! I've never felt this bad in my entire life but I have no choice but to be on it."

Anonymous September 3, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "I just started taking Methimazole and I don't like how I feel. My back hurts, right hand near my little finger gets sharp pains shooting through it I can't eat because I'm nauseated all the time. I get dizzy and can't focus. Looked at the side affects and I have a few of them, I don't like that."

Zaniegal August 20, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "My 6yr old daughter and I have been dealing with this medication for 2yrs now and now that she is off of it and getting ready for the surgery she has been wetting the bed at night and also getting bloody noses is this normal for this medication? I am at a lost here I need to help my baby but idk how doctors are saying that they don't think it's from this medication but I really think it is"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "After 2 weeks of taking this medication I began an extreme itch all over my neck and body. This itch last about 3 week. Then severe back pain for 1 week. Weight gain. And extremely dry mouth and hair. Had To Discontinue use. This medication scared me."

CC, California (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "This has been a horrible experience. I could never take the full dose because the stomach issues were horrible. My hair got so dry, that I had to put conditioner on it just to wash it and get my fingers through my hair. Then my hair came out in clumps. So hungry all the time that I would eat things I hated."

Bbmax February 2, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "I don't have any complaints about Methimazole. It got my thyroid where it needed to be & I didn't experience any side effects from it. I highly recommend this thyroid medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Hyperthyroidism: "I'm taking methimazole for about 4 months and already experienced side effects. I have a very bad burning in my tongue and mouth. My teeth have become very sensitive and I have headaches every day. I told my doctor 2 times about this. He just runs the same tests on me and he finds nothing. I think is this medicine that's making all of this, but he just doesn't listen. I need help cause this side effects are killing me!!!!"

Nagaja September 8, 2015

For Hyperthyroidism: "I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism two years ago and an endocrinologist suggested Methimazole. I started on a lower dose and went in for blood work every three months and after about one year of tapering the medication I was taken off. The only side effect I noticed was the weight gain and some very heavy menstrual bleeding which has since resolved. I still have the extra weight but I no longer suffer from palpitations and tremors. This medicine worked well for me and I'm awaiting my tests to see if my thyroid function is still normal."

hawaiigrl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2013

For Hyperthyroidism: "After being diagnosed with Grave's Disease, my doctor prescribed methimazole to bridge my symptoms until my procedure to "kill" my thyroid. I noticed I no longer had extreme stomach pains and the shaking improved considerably. However, after a month of being on the medication I broke out in itchy, uncontrollable hives. Benadryl didn't even get rid of them. Once I stopped taking methimazole they went away after about 48 hours but the itching was still prevalent. Now my stomach pains are back and the shaking is worse."

Graves Patient March 23, 2013

For Hyperthyroidism: "I have Grave's disease with a small node in my thyroid. Five Dr.'s that I went to, as the previous reviewer stated wanted to radiate and kill my thyroid which would require meds for hypothyroid for the rest of my life. I then found an endocrinologist who suggested that the node was small and that a small dosage of this medicine may control it. I was monitored very closely and went into remission after 2 years. After being okay for another 5 years my thyroid went hyper again and I was put back on a dosage of 2.5 mg/1x per day. The node has not changed in dimension or mass. So I am not healed but effectively am under control. I also have a very minor symptom of Graves' ophthalmopathy, which this medicine controls as well."

ShakeNBake (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2012

Tapazole (methimazole) for Hyperthyroidism: "A serious bout of autoimmune hyperthyroidism had me very sick; traditional docs wanted to use RAI, radiation to kill off the thyroid; fortunately I read up on some Japanese and European studies that showed tapazole/methimazole solves the problem without killing the victim-thyroid. I fired the docs, got new ones at a major medical center, and started tapazole therapy. It took a closely monitored, gradually reduced dosing over 10 months, but I got well thanks to this miracle medicine."

healed now (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2012

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate