User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

"Was good the first week helped me sleep well woke up fine then the 2nd week I woke up feeling like I was having a panic attack and then felt so sleepy I was scared their was something wrong with me and was not feeling right at all and woke up with headaches and feeling groggy all day .. horrible won't take it again."

Brappp890 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication to help assist my sleep. I took between 2 and 4 a night and often found that this didn't help at all. I was still up at night, unable to get a to sleep and remain asleep. I was once again up with my worries. I would just like to note I was also on anti depressants which may have caused this medication to not work correctly."

LaurenM27 September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I really like my melatonin. It makes me sleep a lot better on its own. Even with just one pill , it helps make me a bit drowsy and I feel like I can get to sleep a bit more quickly. This one really doesn't carry over into the next day as much as some of my other ones for sleep. The only thing is , it's really not as strong as I need. I have really intense insomnia. It does work though and the difference is noticeable. It tends to also melt pretty quickly but it's pretty flavorless , so , it's not that bad. I think for just someone who has occasional , minor insomnia , It's something that would work out."

LOVELIGHT777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My pain specialist recommended this and after reading reviews I was so reluctant to take it, however I tried it and yes it did work 20mins later. I found myself relaxed, it was like I took a valium but when I woke up my heart rate was so low which wasn't normal for me. My HR is usually 65-80 but when I woke up I had a irregular heart beat of 43bpm. I thought I was going to have a panic attack cos of a sunken feeling in my chest. I suffer with PTSD, depression, anxiety and have CRPS so I do take 8 meds when necessary. Will I continue taking 2mg melatonin? No, unless the blood test shows ur "lacking melatonin" I wouldn't recommend this. The number of complaints is quite alarming to me."

Kay1812 September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insomnia started years ago due to ageing. Tried several sleep aids then settled on just 1/2mg Melatonin nightly. Gives me 6-8 hrs sleep including REM. Often remember dreams; like watched or created 3-4 different movies in my mind i.e. REM every 2hrs. Would give Melatonin a 10 except every 2 wks or so it stops working. Tried increasing dosage at that point but even going up to just 1mg gives me neurological twitches. For me, a retiree, what works is 2 wks 1/2mg alternating with 2 wks of zero sleep aids, tolerating sleeplessness. Beware of doctors who offer to replace Melatonin with things that will fry your brains while sparing your heart. Melatonin does not directly induce sleep; it can nudge your body's natural melatonin production."

grandpawgrizzly (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It it true this medicine can make depression worse in people who are pre disposed to depression? This is in the brain serotonin is converted into melatonin? The brain has a feed back sensing mechanism: if one takes melatonin tablet the normal level of melatonin present at the receptors goes up , the brain senses this and responds by decreasing serotonin production! I think this drug can be useful for jet lag for those who are not pre disposed to anxiety and depression! I'm pre disposed and I tried it once and felt hopeless the next day! Also did not help sleep! Be careful with melatonin if depression and anxiety are present or are in remission! One can try it and see how they feel!"

Izn (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 1.5 mg of Melatonin for almost a year and found that it did help me sleep. I started having heart palpations about a month later but never associated it with the Melatonin until I went on vacation and did not take it. I did not have any a-fib symptoms when not taking it. When I returned home I took my usual dosage and started having the same afib symptoms. I stopped taking it completely and have not had any afib symptoms since! I was ready to have heart ablation because the heart medication could not keep the palpations under control. I'm so thankful that I found the cause and will never take Melatonin again. My doctor agreed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gone up to 6mg per night now, still experiencing staying awake until the early hours then 4 hours sleep, or being awake for 36/48 hours then 6 hours sleep cycle. I'm at a loss as to what to do next."

belles1979 May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had problems with sleep for around 7-8 years, and I started taking this 4-5 years ago. It has worked absolute wonders! I take 2-3 pumps or 6-10 drops (depending on what I have) and go to lay in bed. I usually lay in bed for a while either reading or doing something else, and at around 10-11 I go "properly" to bed. I easily fall asleep, and I'm able to wake up in the morning, without feeling incredibly grumpy and such. Normally if I don't have school and such I wake up (naturally, not by an alarm) at around 7-9, completely and well rested, and all the other times I get up at 6.30, also well rested and ready for a new day."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am over 50 and I no longer get the amount of sleep that I used to.Went from 8 hours to now I'm lucky if I get 5 hours and it's interrupted sleep. I tried prescription sleeping pills once, but they had nasty side affects Melatonin really helps. If you take too high a dose( larger than 3mg) you will wake up with a headache I break a 3mg pill in half and take it"

KrystalR April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It actually really works great for me. I go to sleep and stay asleep taking 3mg at bedtime. I am using the kind that dissolves on your tongue. My tongue is feeling kind of burned. Anyone else having that problem??"

Cgbrn March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Caused anxiety and depression. Didn't realise this after taking them for a year. When I stop taking them I became my good old self. Doc confirmed this side effects afterwards cause I had a new doc"

qqii (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For insomnia I think it helps, 1mg to 3mg depending on each one's body. But if you don't get to sleep properly, maybe anxiety is the cause. In my case and from my life experience, I do some tricks to beat both anxiety and insomnia: 1.5mg melatonin 30min before bed time; Spend those 30min reading a book (out of the bedroom) with just 5w blue-light; Take 75mg Trazodone when already in bed, just before program my alarm-clock, lights out; Always get up before 9am (no matter what); Exercise outdoors 40min (before lunch time ); Have 2 hobbys: listen to music (without headphones) and study collective sports; Dinner time before 8:30pm; And psychotherapy 2 times a month, forever. SO: melatonin is a part of a whole."

Cistus James B (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed melatonin by my doctor about 2 months ago. Due to anxiety, and tinnitus I hadn't been sleeping until around 6-7am or not at all. Having university the next day was a big pain, when I had no sleep and had to be able to focus for the rest of the day. I had been on many different medications before for both anxiety and insomnia, some of which worked but all had bad side effects. Melatonin works extremely well for me, with no noticeable side effects. I take 2 mg two hours before bed, and it works well. I normally get a good 7-9 hours sleep when I take melatonin and don't feel drowsy the next day."

Mike12123 January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have never experienced such a high quality of sleep since 8 years, was very promising. Experienced night sweats and vivid dreams at the beginning . But I didn't mind at all because I thought finally I can stop taking benzos and go with this healthier alternative. After the 3rd day and increasing with each day, my preexisting stuttering condition worsened significantly and I began to experience severe anxiety and felt dizzy during the day. My doctor saw me during treatment and a week after stopping and was shocked at how much my stuttering decreased and anxiety reduction. I am so disappointed it didn't work for me. I still recommend people try it."

RoseRose22 January 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm an 18 year old with insomnia. I have difficulty falling asleep on my own & when I finally do, it's a chore to wake up! I started taking Melatonin 3mg and I've slept amazing! It works within the first hour and I can actually wake up from my alarm! I took one at 8 last night, fell asleep around 8:45 and woke up at 5 this morning with no problem. First time I've woken up before the afternoon and felt awake enough to get my nephew ready for school!"

Anonymous January 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Zopiclone which my doctor did not like me taking so I saw that Montmerency cherry juice can help. I go to bed at 1 to 2 am and wake up early. I don't know if this is coincidence but I slept in this a.m. until 12.30 I can't remember a time I didn"t wake up early and tired so will keep taking it. I have got the tart concentrated juice it is fairly expensive but has to be diluted so lasts quite a while"

Helaine 6 January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi. I got some of this from my doc as I was having bad dreams about my father who had recently passed. My experience has been absolutely awful. Dreams out of this world! It takes the first 2 hours of the day getting over the wild vivid craziness that happened in your supposed deep sleep. Then came the DEPRESSION!! I have never been depressed and never full understood how others felt, now I do!! I knew it was the Melatonin so I stopped and I was fine. I am not going to ramble on but be so careful, it's an insidious drug, for me anyway."

Ecas123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Be careful. I was prescribed Circadin by my psychiatrist to help with insomnia caused by my antidepressant. Over a period of around 3 months I became anxious, agitated, and extremely depressed. I felt like I was losing my mind. I then realised that my deterioration coincided with starting the melatonin so I stopped it. Within 24 hours by depression was under control and I was back to my normal self. It says on the drug information that it can worsen depression and cause mood changes yet my psychiatrist thought it would be a good idea to prescribe it for someone with severe depression. It also caused awful trapped wind and tummy pain. It's a shame because as a sleeping tablet it did actually work. Back to zopiclone for me!"

RosieLea December 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After two nights of sweats which I was told would go away,the night before last they almost did. As I'm being hauled by ambulance with a threaded heart rate of 40. 3 MG. No other medicines. No allergies"

Soopercooper (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Many people dose this medicine far too high. 5mg and above is absurd. 0.3mg-1mg gives me a beautiful nights rest. 2mg and 3mg and I was waking up every few hours. If you are having sleeping troubles while taking melatonin, try a lower dose! Higher dose does not mean better sleep, it can mean the opposite! Good luck"

MateoJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works very well at first to help you fall asleep but I sometimes wake up very early or in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. But I tend to overthink if I'm just laying in bed trying to sleep so I'm glad that the melatonin helps me fall asleep quickly. Quite useful for when I have to stay up late doing homework and then wake up early the next day for class. I take it within an hour before I go to sleep and my eyelids get heavier and heavier from there."

Elisabeth Dranoel November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my first trial experience :fall a sleep within one hour after taking the tablet but just for one hour then again for 3 hours .it help in starting sleep but not its not continuous , next day felt as if i took antihistamine."

mmmg (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First time didn't make me sleep and I felt nausea and dopey all the next day. A tried it months later one night and got severe head aches and didn't make me sleep."

Comsta October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wake up after 3 hours, doesn't seem to last long. Worse part I have hyperpigmentation on my face. I'm upset about this bc it's not mentioned in the side effects but melatonin is the cause of my pigmentation which appeared 1 month after taking tablets."

ellabella4321 October 18, 2016