User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking Zopiclone which my doctor did not like me taking so I saw that Montmerency cherry juice can help. I go to bed at 1 to 2 am and wake up early. I don't know if this is coincidence but I slept in this a.m. until 12.30 I can't remember a time I didn"t wake up early and tired so will keep taking it. I have got the tart concentrated juice it is fairly expensive but has to be diluted so lasts quite a while"

Helaine 6 January 16, 2017

"Hi. I got some of this from my doc as I was having bad dreams about my father who had recently passed. My experience has been absolutely awful. Dreams out of this world! It takes the first 2 hours of the day getting over the wild vivid craziness that happened in your supposed deep sleep. Then came the DEPRESSION!! I have never been depressed and never full understood how others felt, now I do!! I knew it was the Melatonin so I stopped and I was fine. I am not going to ramble on but be so careful, it's an insidious drug, for me anyway."

Ecas123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"Be careful. I was prescribed Circadin by my psychiatrist to help with insomnia caused by my antidepressant. Over a period of around 3 months I became anxious, agitated, and extremely depressed. I felt like I was losing my mind. I then realised that my deterioration coincided with starting the melatonin so I stopped it. Within 24 hours by depression was under control and I was back to my normal self. It says on the drug information that it can worsen depression and cause mood changes yet my psychiatrist thought it would be a good idea to prescribe it for someone with severe depression. It also caused awful trapped wind and tummy pain. It's a shame because as a sleeping tablet it did actually work. Back to zopiclone for me!"

RosieLea December 14, 2016

"After two nights of sweats which I was told would go away,the night before last they almost did. As I'm being hauled by ambulance with a threaded heart rate of 40. 3 MG. No other medicines. No allergies"

Soopercooper (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"Many people dose this medicine far too high. 5mg and above is absurd. 0.3mg-1mg gives me a beautiful nights rest. 2mg and 3mg and I was waking up every few hours. If you are having sleeping troubles while taking melatonin, try a lower dose! Higher dose does not mean better sleep, it can mean the opposite! Good luck"

MateoJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

"Works very well at first to help you fall asleep but I sometimes wake up very early or in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. But I tend to overthink if I'm just laying in bed trying to sleep so I'm glad that the melatonin helps me fall asleep quickly. Quite useful for when I have to stay up late doing homework and then wake up early the next day for class. I take it within an hour before I go to sleep and my eyelids get heavier and heavier from there."

Elisabeth Dranoel November 29, 2016

"my first trial experience :fall a sleep within one hour after taking the tablet but just for one hour then again for 3 hours .it help in starting sleep but not its not continuous , next day felt as if i took antihistamine."

mmmg (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

"First time didn't make me sleep and I felt nausea and dopey all the next day. A tried it months later one night and got severe head aches and didn't make me sleep."

Comsta October 19, 2016

"I wake up after 3 hours, doesn't seem to last long. Worse part I have hyperpigmentation on my face. I'm upset about this bc it's not mentioned in the side effects but melatonin is the cause of my pigmentation which appeared 1 month after taking tablets."

ellabella4321 October 18, 2016

"CAUTION with the DOSAGE of this thing. I've seen from 0.3mg to 10mg being sold. Got a really BAD headache the next day when taking 1mg before sleep. Also tried the 0.3mg and got sleepy the next day all, yawing all day long It really "causes" sleep, you'll feel sleepy, but not relaxed at all. It's not like a benzodiazepine(alprazolam/clonazepam/etc). If you already feel your eyes dry/red and yawning, you don't need this! And try the lowest dose you can find. I'm STILL trying to find something lower than 0.3mg because even that dosage seems too much for me. Have been fighting with my "internal clock" since I was a kid.. it seems my brain always want to sleep later and later... and that feeling that I won't sleep causes me anxiety too"

heiler (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2016

"Puts me right to sleep!"

Tay082915 October 8, 2016

"I am a 66 year old woman and have been taking Melatonin since 1990's. I started taking it for sleep since I had to get up early. There was never any side effects. I started out with 3 mg. Then went up from there. I always knew my limited because to much was creating just the opposite effects. I am now at 6 mg. and am doing fine. As we get older the meletonin that our bodies create, diminishes. Also, sleeping without a light or having a very faint night lite, is best. When getting up to go to the bathroom, do not turn on lights for lights depletes the meletonin in your body. I use a colored night light. And may I suggest just turning off your computers and phones so they won't interrupt your sleep."

Tickie (taken for 10 years or more) September 23, 2016

"I've taken melatonin 3g before but I just started taking it again and have been feeling dizzy with extremely bad headaches and my hands are shaky. I also feel it is harder to wake up in the mornings. Not sure if its reacting with my Prozac because before I took Prozac it worked very well. I do recommend it but obviously if you get these symptoms you are going to want to stop."

Sabrina0003 September 9, 2016

"I took this for three days. Within that short period of time I experienced extreme abdominal pain and cramping, severe migraine headaches, nauseated, drowsiness all day, moodiness, agitation, shaking, etc."

Vontrice August 30, 2016

"I am 46 years old and have been struggling with hot flashes for 8 years, and more severe now that I have had a total hysterectomy. The side affects of menopause for me have been severe hot flashes all day and all night. I have declined to take unnatural replacements. A week ago I began to take 10 mg Melatonin (quick disolve). I am still waking up throwing the covers off and feeling like my bed is going to catch fire due to the extreme heat of my body..however, I am finally able to fall back to sleep, and feel rested in the morning. I am pleased with the this supplement and I will continue to take it."

Mrs Sonsteby (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

"i tried taking this and I have lung problems and I could tell in my sleep I was having breathing problems. I threw the rest away."

weste August 19, 2016

"Melatonin helped me to fall asleep (I have severe insomnia), and usually keeps me asleep for some hours, sometimes the entire night, which to me is incredible. It helped me get off the poisonous benzodiazepines. I did need at least 3mg to feel the effect, so if you're not feeling it, increasing doses might help. As a side effect, I think it lowered my blood pressure during the night, although I'm not sure. Studies did confirm it has this potential."

Alexzerox (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

"This particular brand of melatonin causes me to fall asleep quickly, but I wake up within half an hour feeling horribly dizzy, gassy and nauseous. I also have vivid nightmares, and my general quality if sleep is far worse than non assisted sleep. Give melatonin a try, but if your experience matches mine, you likely won't be able to continue."

ltpa July 24, 2016

"Melatonin is pretty effective at making me drowsy enough to sleep. I have taken better supplements for sleep but Melatonin overall is a great choice."

Jwright7784 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 23, 2016

"Well i've been taking Melatonin for about 2 weeks and for the first, maybe, 9 days it worked super amazing. (Let me point out - i'm taking this drug because i take other medication that was stopping me getting the best sleep) But then it stopped and i went back to the norm for me. UGH. I was on 2mg (was prescribed 3mg but it wasn't in stock) now i've ordered 3mg from overseas and am gonna see if that makes a difference or not."

Gracie_15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

"I like this sleeping aid, I can't sleep and have a tough time going to sleep at night, some nights I sleep other I don't and stay up for days until I'm so tired that I fall out, I tried this drug 5mg and I love it so far, There is always some draw back for all drugs when I woke up the next morning, I was drowsy but I snapped out of it a little while later and felt good, refreshed. I'm not saying it didn't work, It really did, it's the first test and time I am taking it and I tell you it might not work all the time but I will give it a try, so far so good"

Tootsie Roll (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

"I have had a really ruff time sleeping the last 6 months and i have tried other sleeping pills but had bad reactions to them. I was told to use melatonin and so my dr perscribed me 5mg and i was able to relax and get good sleep but sadly i wake up with a lot of groggyness that literally lasts all day. I feel like im rested but if i shut my eyes i would fall out."

Dragonbornv (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"It's a shame to see such mixed responses to Melatonin given how much safer it is when compared to other sleeping medication. For me, it's worked perfectly. I take 2mg and strangely enough have no side effects. I don't feel "drugged" like I do when on Diazepam. I'm a 19 year old, 234 LBS (106kg), 185cm tall. I have diagnosed social anxiety, general anxiety and some cases of depression. This medication is truly a miracle pill. I'm not sure how the medication works, but boy does it work. I'll take a pill roughly 1 hour before going to sleep and I'll put my put phone down, close my eyes and before I know it I'm off to lala land - amazing! The brand I take is called Circadin which is a prolonged release version that only comes in 2mg."

Edyz (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"Honestly, I would rate Melatonin 3mg a big fat zero if I could. My doctor switched me over to Melatonin 3mg from Trazodone. I personally know from family and friends that Melatonin has worked for them. Unfortunately, it did not help me in anyway with my serve insomnia. Ironically, Melatonin did the opposite for me. I was wide awake and super active. In a strange way, I had more energy to do things. I did like Melatonin better than Trazodone because this sleep aid did not give me hallucinations. Even though I couldn't sleep the next day I did not feel irritable or antsy. Personally, I will not recommend Melatonin to anyone but I will share my results to anybody who ask for it. I been on Melatonin for about two months, I don't know why."

Pham Lay (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

"It's been utterly worthless. I guess evergone is different and only way to know is to try it. Started at 1.5 mg, upped it to 3mg...nothing."

Sleep chaser (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016