User Reviews for Melatonin

Also known as: Bio-Melatonin, Health Aid Melatonin, Melatonin Time Release, SGard, VesPro Melatonin

Learn more about Melatonin.

Melatonin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Melatonin to treat Insomnia

"I am a 66 year old woman and have been taking Melatonin since 1990's. I started taking it for sleep since I had to get up early. There was never any side effects. I started out with 3 mg. Then went up from there. I always knew my limited because to much was creating just the opposite effects. I am now at 6 mg. and am doing fine. As we get older the meletonin that our bodies create, diminishes. Also, sleeping without a light or having a very faint night lite, is best. When getting up to go to the bathroom, do not turn on lights for lights depletes the meletonin in your body. I use a colored night light. And may I suggest just turning off your computers and phones so they won't interrupt your sleep."

Tickie (taken for 10 years or more) September 23, 2016

"I've taken melatonin 3g before but I just started taking it again and have been feeling dizzy with extremely bad headaches and my hands are shaky. I also feel it is harder to wake up in the mornings. Not sure if its reacting with my Prozac because before I took Prozac it worked very well. I do recommend it but obviously if you get these symptoms you are going to want to stop."

Sabrina0003 September 9, 2016

"I took this for three days. Within that short period of time I experienced extreme abdominal pain and cramping, severe migraine headaches, nauseated, drowsiness all day, moodiness, agitation, shaking, etc."

Vontrice August 30, 2016

"I am 46 years old and have been struggling with hot flashes for 8 years, and more severe now that I have had a total hysterectomy. The side affects of menopause for me have been severe hot flashes all day and all night. I have declined to take unnatural replacements. A week ago I began to take 10 mg Melatonin (quick disolve). I am still waking up throwing the covers off and feeling like my bed is going to catch fire due to the extreme heat of my body..however, I am finally able to fall back to sleep, and feel rested in the morning. I am pleased with the this supplement and I will continue to take it."

Mrs Sonsteby (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

"i tried taking this and I have lung problems and I could tell in my sleep I was having breathing problems. I threw the rest away."

weste August 19, 2016

"Melatonin helped me to fall asleep (I have severe insomnia), and usually keeps me asleep for some hours, sometimes the entire night, which to me is incredible. It helped me get off the poisonous benzodiazepines. I did need at least 3mg to feel the effect, so if you're not feeling it, increasing doses might help. As a side effect, I think it lowered my blood pressure during the night, although I'm not sure. Studies did confirm it has this potential."

Alexzerox (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

"This particular brand of melatonin causes me to fall asleep quickly, but I wake up within half an hour feeling horribly dizzy, gassy and nauseous. I also have vivid nightmares, and my general quality if sleep is far worse than non assisted sleep. Give melatonin a try, but if your experience matches mine, you likely won't be able to continue."

ltpa July 24, 2016

"Melatonin is pretty effective at making me drowsy enough to sleep. I have taken better supplements for sleep but Melatonin overall is a great choice."

Jwright7784 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 23, 2016

"Well i've been taking Melatonin for about 2 weeks and for the first, maybe, 9 days it worked super amazing. (Let me point out - i'm taking this drug because i take other medication that was stopping me getting the best sleep) But then it stopped and i went back to the norm for me. UGH. I was on 2mg (was prescribed 3mg but it wasn't in stock) now i've ordered 3mg from overseas and am gonna see if that makes a difference or not."

Gracie_15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

"I like this sleeping aid, I can't sleep and have a tough time going to sleep at night, some nights I sleep other I don't and stay up for days until I'm so tired that I fall out, I tried this drug 5mg and I love it so far, There is always some draw back for all drugs when I woke up the next morning, I was drowsy but I snapped out of it a little while later and felt good, refreshed. I'm not saying it didn't work, It really did, it's the first test and time I am taking it and I tell you it might not work all the time but I will give it a try, so far so good"

Tootsie Roll (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

"I have had a really ruff time sleeping the last 6 months and i have tried other sleeping pills but had bad reactions to them. I was told to use melatonin and so my dr perscribed me 5mg and i was able to relax and get good sleep but sadly i wake up with a lot of groggyness that literally lasts all day. I feel like im rested but if i shut my eyes i would fall out."

Dragonbornv (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"It's a shame to see such mixed responses to Melatonin given how much safer it is when compared to other sleeping medication. For me, it's worked perfectly. I take 2mg and strangely enough have no side effects. I don't feel "drugged" like I do when on Diazepam. I'm a 19 year old, 234 LBS (106kg), 185cm tall. I have diagnosed social anxiety, general anxiety and some cases of depression. This medication is truly a miracle pill. I'm not sure how the medication works, but boy does it work. I'll take a pill roughly 1 hour before going to sleep and I'll put my put phone down, close my eyes and before I know it I'm off to lala land - amazing! The brand I take is called Circadin which is a prolonged release version that only comes in 2mg."

Edyz (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"Honestly, I would rate Melatonin 3mg a big fat zero if I could. My doctor switched me over to Melatonin 3mg from Trazodone. I personally know from family and friends that Melatonin has worked for them. Unfortunately, it did not help me in anyway with my serve insomnia. Ironically, Melatonin did the opposite for me. I was wide awake and super active. In a strange way, I had more energy to do things. I did like Melatonin better than Trazodone because this sleep aid did not give me hallucinations. Even though I couldn't sleep the next day I did not feel irritable or antsy. Personally, I will not recommend Melatonin to anyone but I will share my results to anybody who ask for it. I been on Melatonin for about two months, I don't know why."

Pham Lay (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

"It's been utterly worthless. I guess evergone is different and only way to know is to try it. Started at 1.5 mg, upped it to 3mg...nothing."

Sleep chaser (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

"Made me feel drowsy after taking it but then after going to bed it made me have that mixed feeling of drowsiness and insomnia. I had a terrible night using it!"

OMT (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

"THis drug helped me to get a very good night's sleep, but I was very weak, tired, and lethargic the next day, until about dinnertime."

Marilyn J. May 16, 2016

"I have trouble sleeping. I don't like taking drugs but find after missing 2-3 nights in a row I have to take something. A friend (battling cancer) told me Melatonin helped her. I have taken it 3 nights in a row and slept 10 hrs, 6 hrs and 8 hrs. BUT I seem to be drowsy midday and need a nap as soon as I get home. So going to stop for a few nights and then try half a tablet"

Retracmjused May 16, 2016

Melatonin Time Release (melatonin): "I have tried a lot of medications for insomnia that hasn't worked but melatonin is the only thing that has helped me I now get a full night's sleep"

Ptucka2303 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

"Took it at 10:30pm it is noon the day after and I am so drugged up drowsy. Don't understand why it is still in my body."

It is bad (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

"I have been on nearly every sleep drug on the market, and like the rest I don't find these work at all! My doctor has bumped me up to 5 5mg pills a night and nothing!!"

JaccHART (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2016

"I have extreme insomnia my Dr has prescribed every Medication for Insomnia either I had bad reactions to it or didn't help at all so yesterday My Dr prescribed OTC Melatonin I took one pill 3 mg I had a very restful 5-6 hrs~I'm going to try 1/2 of a Pill to to get a full night sleep~I'll see how a 5 mg dose will work~but I was just happy that the 3mg gave me a restful few hrs. I'll report if the 1 1/2 Pills helps me stay asleep for 8 hrs. Right now I'm Thankful that I actually went to sleep and had a few good hrs of rest & sleep. No side effects !"

Sleepless in Va. (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"My dose is 2mg nightly 1 hour before sleep. It has been 3 weeks so far. I have suffered from parasomnia ever since I can remember. I also suffer anxiety at night because of it. I hallucinate and sleep walk. In the 3 weeks I have hallucinated maybe once or twice and only sleep walked once. Usually it would be every second night. I get to sleep so much quicker. My mind doesn't race and I am so much more relaxed. I sleep so much deeper. I am no longer afraid of sleeping!"

KSzekely March 1, 2016

"Had trouble going to sleep primarily due to anxiety and irregular work schedule. Prescription medications made me hard to wake up and hungover the next day. Now I take 2.5. mg about an hour before bedtime and go right to sleep and awake refreshed. It also has helped with my ED."

Dr. DB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 28, 2016

"So I've been ill for 16 yrs, autoimmune, so needless to say insomnia is part of the equation here, since I don't absorb anything properly I take is liquid or sublingual. I take 3mg sublingual dots they work like a charm, if it's a bad night I take 2. But that's just me. Also the blue light on your cell and Desktop computer lowers your Melatonin and causes you to lose sleep. Look for an app to filter that out that should help tremendously... sweet dreams"

Roserage February 19, 2016

"I took this last night for the first time as I have had 2-3 months of bad sleep. Waking up and staying awake few hours after falling asleep. I took a 10mg, not really reading about it before. It was way too much for me, I slept, absolutely, but wanted to sleep whole day, now, 24 hours later I still feel very very sleepy! Will take it again but will break up the pills in quarters now if possible. I got the advice to take it with warm, sweetened milk an hour before bedtime."

EMki (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016