User Reviews for Kava

Kava has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings on Drugs.com. 75% of those users who reviewed Kava reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety  Off-label
Anxiety and Stress  Off-label
Herbal Supplementation
Summary of Kava reviews 7.8 13 reviews

Reviews for Kava

HB March 21, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have had anxiety for a while now. I was doing better but had a stressful week so I drank some kava tea I bought at a local grocery store for a few days. My blood pressure shot up and I couldn’t breathe and felt like I was going to pass out. I was admitted to the Emergency Room where it turns out that the kava tea interacted with every medication I was taking. I drank the tea Thursday at lunch and I am still having high blood pressure and pulse on Sunday, not to mention I am terrified to take the medication I need.”

Anonymous July 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “A small amount of kava three to four times a week WITHOUT alcohol before dinner reduced my anxiety to near zero. Amazing effects and the euphoria with well being feelings builds as time goes on.”

Dkain June 18, 2020

For Anxiety: “It's effective in treatment of anxiety”

Taja · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have suffered and suffer anxiety, daily gut issues, heart palpitations and fast heart rate and high stress with panic attacks. Always in constant fear. I have used kava medi herb from my naturopath for 4 days now and thank god I am seeing significant changes. I’m on antidepressants still but tapering off and have stopped valium. I am still a little anxious at times but nothing like I was. I pray it stays this way. I do get scared about the reports on liver damage etc but I’m sure it’s ok I’m under supervision and nothing can be as bad as western drugs”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2018

For Anxiety: “Absolute life saver!! Best stuff on the planet for anxiety/stress.Every symptom of anxiety disappears in a matter of minutes, absolutely amazing. I like to drink the “yogi” kava tea 2 times per day, at 1st it gets u a bit sleepy and relaxed but by hr 2 it’s a feeling of “bliss “ and extreme clarity.It’s like a “high” but on life. Wish I found out about kava many years ago as I struggle with severe anxiety/panic attacks, not no more, thank you kava!!!”

C100T340 July 25, 2016

For Anxiety: “Kava is as close to the effects of Valium as one can get from a legal substance. It definitely is a direct muscle relaxant and definitely does it through the GABA receptors. However, there's no lassitude - no real euphoria or feeling of elation either - but to me that's the actual beauty of kava. It's GABAergic effect is most noticeable when taken during a time of discomfort. Kava has quickly reversed full-blown panic attacks and also markedly reduced pain, probably because of it's direct muscle relaxation. I also sleep like a baby after taking it. But if one is looking for an upfront euphoria (i.e., a recreational drug) then that person is likely to think that kava does nothing.”

Kava man · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: “Hi I have been drinking Kava for 15 years and I can not tell you how much it has enhanced the quality of my life. Kava has greatly helped with all the stress and anxiety in my life and has given me my life back. I drink Kava using the traditional method used for centuries by Pacific Islanders and I only purchase pure and Kava for reliable sources. I would recommend Kava to anyone with anxiety, stress or insomnia.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: “I tried a few varieties of Kava, capsules and teas, and found it to be very effective at reducing anxiety. It does not cause any euphoric effects at the amounts I’ve been trying (400-800 mg) but the easing of stress is marked. I am able to function better, with more restful sleep. I don’t like the taste too much. It’s definitely more effective than SSRIs for me though, without any side effects. It doesn’t act like benzodiazepines either, which mess up my cognition a good deal. I’m happy to leave all those things behind!”

Sickofsick2 May 30, 2016

For Anxiety: “I have had serious issues with a-fib together with a heart rate of 150-170 for over 3 weeks. I have had a heart ablation surgery, and am now on 3 different blood pressure/heart regulation pills. Lately, as soon as I lay down at night, my heart has begun to pound in my chest, so badly that I can't go to sleep. If I finally do go to sleep, it is still doing the same dance when I wake up. My chest burns & I am exhausted for the rest of the day. BUT, at the suggestion of an old fashioned Mexican lady who is a dear friend of mine, I began steeping two tea bags of Kava in boiling water for 5 minutes and drinking that before bed time. My blood pressure (which is usually around 135/85 immediately goes down to NORMAL (115/75). I can sleep!”

Anonymous November 18, 2009

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have drunk kava for more than 15 years. I went for a full medical examination at the best lab here and they found no problems with my health. University of Queensland, Australia research has found a traditional extract of Kava, a medicinal plant from the South Pacific, to be safe and effective in reducing anxiety.”

Anonymous March 18, 2012

For Herbal Supplementation: “I have taken Kava Kava in 10-mg capsules for insomnia because I work shift work and have trouble relaxing when I need to at times. I buy powdered root from a reputable company and put it in gel caps. It works very well for me and I have been taking it for years with nothing detrimental to report. I have taken melatonin in the past but then had periods after where I couldn't sleep without it. I sleep fine on my days off without taking Kava and have never awoke drowsy.”

Ashley c · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2013

For Anxiety: “Very relaxing not something that will get you high but will ale the spirit lifted and relaxed safely...being an ex heroin addict my anxiety is always crazy kava does help significantly.”

Jaker · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2020

For Anxiety: “I tried making a tea out of the kava. Let it steep for a long time. Then filtered it. Tastes like mud but I drank it. Didn’t feel anything. Did I miss something?”