User Reviews for Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic to treat Otitis Externa

Also known as: Cortisporin Otic, Antibiotic Ear, Cortomycin, Casporyn HC, AK-Spore HC Otic Suspension, Drotic, Cortatrigen Modified Cortatrigen Cort-Biotic

Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Externa. 26% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 68% reported a negative effect.

Hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic Rating Summary

3.4/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Externa.

Reviews for Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic

Li123 July 18, 2021

“Did anyones tinnitus heal ? Please answer ? And describe the tinnitus Few days after using this horrible ear drop my ear now makes wierd noises like air or swoshing noises when I eat, like open and close my mouth.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

“Beware of this medication! Whatever you do, do not take it. It will wreak havoc on your ear. After taking 4 drops 4 times a day for 7 days it formed a cast in my ear. I had to see an ENT (as I was given the medication at an urgent care) afterwards because my ear had a “rice krispie” sound whenever I’d touch it. He told me my ear was dry and unable to clean until he gave me a different set of drops to clear it up. Why is this medication given to anyone? It needs to be removed ASAP.”

Frustrated September 27, 2019

“Prescribed by an ENT for an outer ear infection I used these drops for 5 days & seemed to take care of the infection however, one week later my hearing became muffled. I returned to the ENT who said I had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction & prescribed steriods, etc but it only worsened to the point of being debilitating. An MRI was order, CT scan performed with negative results. I saw 3 other ENTs who also were unable to help. After 4 months I was referred to my 4th ENT who found the drops had left a residue forming a cast on my ear drum rendering it unable to move. 3 wks of oil treatment helped loosen the cast from my drum, it was easily removed, and although this freed up my ear drum, my ear is still struggling to clear. I am appalled that drops that could cause such damage are being prescribed.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

“I used the drops in both ears for a week because my ears were itchy. Itch went away but after a week my ears became clogged, sounds were muffled and hearing loss in the right ear. Went to ENT after two weeks. Seems that the suspension caused a crust to form on the war drums preventing them from vibrating which caused the muffled sound and the rating loss. ENT used a small tweezer, pulled crust from both ears and voila’... I could hear again. If you get the symptoms I had , let your ENT know to check for that. Don’t use the suspension for longer than 10 days.”

Lo · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2020

“One of the worst ear drops I have to take. I was having irritation in both ears due to excessive q-tip use and the doctor prescribed me this for pain. I used in both ears for the first day, 3 times a day and it burned and itches when I tried it. Also made both of my ears completely clogged and now barely drains and the skin around the ear is sore and dry and scabby. I tried it again the next day which was a huge mistake. Now both ears are also again completely clogged and my gland under my right ear on my face is painful and enlarged and barely drains. I can’t hear out of both ears and it hurts to chew. Do not use this medication. I’m surprised this was even prescribed to me when I could have used something else. This medication shouldn’t even be on the market at all. I’m wondering why the doctor who prescribed it to me with out telling me the side effects and I’m worried now that it has caused damage to my ear. I hope not. I’m really angry.”

Roni · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

“I had an incident where a bug crawled into my ear while I was sleeping and believe me it was extremely painful. I went to the ER and they pulled it out and wrote me a prescription for Hydrocortisone/Neomycin/Polymyxin B Otic to ensure I would not develop a ear infection after the procedure. I was instructed to use 3-4 drops, 3 times a day for 7 days and then discontinue use of them. I followed these instructions precisely. 3 days after I stopped taking them my inner ear started to become extremely itchy, and I had discharge coming out of my ear. After that my inner ear was scaly and a painful and itchy. It has since then spread to my outer earlobe. My earlobe is covered in a rash and is swollen. I also experienced hearing loss, and I now have a lump behind my ear. Please do not use these drops”

C · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2020

“Update...after suffering severe tinnitus for two weeks and being misdiagnosed with a middle ear infection at an urgent care clinic, I was finally able to see an ENT. My eardrum was covered with a thick coat of dried drops. Two visits later all traces of the drops have been removed, but I am told it will take some time for the ear/brain connection to correct itself. Don’t use these drops.”

Tayaa August 17, 2017

“THIS STUFF IS HORRIBLE. DO NOT USE IT!!! My girlfriend started using this (prescribed by doctor) for an ear infection (swimmers ear), and reported extremely painful symptoms when using this stuff. Now, she can't hear anything out of her ear. I'm so freaking mad that the doctor prescribed this medicine. DO NOT USE!!”

Angie January 16, 2021

“I’ve been having swimmers ears for over a week. I went to the doctors today and they prescribed me these ear drops. I had a weird gut feeling that these ear drops might mess up my ears. I was right. Used them only 3 times today. My ears swelled so bad and are so painful. There’s crust all over. Bare in mind I had none of these symptoms before I used these. My doctor did not warn me. After reading the other reviews I will not even continue to the second day. I have to wait till the weekend is over to call my doctor. I am extremely angry. My biggest fear is I will lose my hearing. Always trust your gut feeling people.”

bucket · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2020

“Went to ear doctor today mild discomfort he looked at my ear said ear infection sucked the fluid out and prescribed this ear drops 5 drops 3 times a day went and picked them up at pharmacy. I had no pain and within one minute I had pain down my throat my ear was on fire the pain was big time and I'm not allergic or have I had a reaction to medication in my life. Four hours later it started to settle down this stuff is already thrown out and I'll get another antibiotic this stuff is nasty.”

Irama Tenej · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2016

Cortisporin Otic (hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b): “I had a HORRIBLE allergic reaction to the ear drops! The medication made my look like I had a chemical burn on the right side of my face and blister like on my ear. The itching was immune to Benadryl and I am hoping my face will heal soon.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

“I have bad seasonal allergies that sometimes affect my Eustachian tubes and I tend to end up with otitis externa in one of my ears as a result. ENT doctor prescribed these drops. They're very effective and get rid of the pain and swelling that results from this ear infection. The only side effect is that it makes my ear very itchy. I'll apply an itch relief cream like Benadryl around the outside of my ear and it usually does the trick. Definitely do not use for more than 10 days.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

“I was prescribed these ear drops for ear pain and everything seemed to be going okay until a week after I stopped taking it. I now have ringing in the ear, ear fullness, and ear pain. The ENT said I have partial hearing loss now and I don’t know if it’s because of these drops or not!!! Do not use even if you are in severe pain!!!!”

pawestiegirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2016

“I have been using these ear drops for 4 days now. I had itching in my right ear and pain in my left. Doctor said it was a mild skin infection/irritation. When I put the drops in the right ear, the itching becomes intense for a few minutes. But it does seem to help in the long run. The drops in the left ear I can hardly feel. That ear seems "full". The pain seems to have been alleviated though.”

Mark · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2021

“This was an awful medicine. Was prescribed this for a mild ear infection with some swelling. Every application worsened symptoms: and within 12 hours I the ear was swollen shut and I could barely hear out of it. I went to the ER due to hearing loss, and the criminally negligent staff placed and ear wick and insisted I continue using this toxin. Within 48 hours, further applications had caused the pain to spread to the entire left side of my face, worsening noticeably after each application. Was too sensitive to sleep the following night.”

Leigh · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

“I had perfect hearing Used these drops for a scaley ear. Now I have ringing in my ears”

C · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2020

“I got Tinnitus as a side effect from these combo drops hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b- do not use them. Has anyone else had this side effect and recovered? Please post.”

Attof September 1, 2016

“I used to get swimmers ear. These drops always fixed that in a few days. I now always flush my ears with vinegar/peroxide after swimming/diving, and don't much have the problem any more.”

Leahbear · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

“These drops worked on my otitis externa (outer ear infection) never once burned. In 48-72 hrs inflammation was about gone and no more ear pain. It never burned at all.”

Anonymous September 20, 2017

“Started it today after a 7 day course of ciprodex failed to work. This stuff burns badly, so I hope it works!!!”

Silveretta January 28, 2017

“I'm not a swimmer, but I get ear infections a lot. I always get prescribed this and it always works in under 10 days. Wish it was available OTC.”

Ear ache. Swimmers ear · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2017