Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 14, 2022.
More frequently reported side effects include: idiopathic edema, pruritus, skin rash, erythema of skin, and local irritation. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic: otic solution, otic suspension
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic:
- Itching, skin rash, redness, swelling, or other signs of irritation in or around the ear not present before the use of this medicine
- Stinging and burning feeling in the middle ear
Incidence not known
- Blood in the urine
- change in the frequency of urination or amount of urine
- difficulty in breathing
- feeling of fullness in the ears
- increased thirst
- loss of appetite
- loss of balance
- loss of hearing
- ringing or buzzing in the ears
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- trouble in hearing
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, skin rash
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic: otic solution, otic suspension
Rare (less than 0.1%): Application site hypersensitivity[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Local exfoliative dermatitis, skin atrophy, telangiectasia , stria, exacerbation of underlying skin conditions (including eczema)
The most commonly reported side effect was hypersensitivity.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Ototoxicity[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Secondary infection[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Application site reaction including pain, irritation, edema, burning sensation, rash
Frequency not reported: Itching, dryness, stinging[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nephrotoxicity[Ref]
More about hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (50)
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
- Drug Information
- Neomycin, polymyxin b, and hydrocortisone Otic (Advanced Reading)
- Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution
- Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Cortisporin Otic (hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin B otic)" Monarch Pharmaceuticals Inc, Bristol, TN.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.