User Reviews for Hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic

Also known as: Cortisporin Otic, Antibiotic Ear, Cortomycin, Casporyn HC, AK-Spore HC Otic Suspension, Drotic, Cortatrigen Modified Cortatrigen Cort-Biotic

Otitis Externa   3.6
Otitis Media   1.5

Reviews for Hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic

Angie January 16, 2021

For Otitis Externa: “I’ve been having swimmers ears for over a week. I went to the doctors today and they prescribed me these ear drops. I had a weird gut feeling that these ear drops might mess up my ears. I was right. Used them only 3 times today. My ears swelled so bad and are so painful. There’s crust all over. Bare in mind I had none of these symptoms before I used these. My doctor did not warn me. After reading the other reviews I will not even continue to the second day. I have to wait till the weekend is over to call my doctor. I am extremely angry. My biggest fear is I will lose my hearing. Always trust your gut feeling people.”

Marina · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

For Otitis Media: “I am supposed to be on these ear drops for 10 days, leading up to my next ENT appointment. I have a tube in the ear I’m prescribed the drops for, and when using ear drops with a tube, you’re told to “pump” your tragus with your finger a couple of times in order to push the fluid further into your sinuses. I put 4 drops in, and immediately felt a burning in the back of my face. I pumped it twice, like normal, and felt the most intense, immediate pain to the point where I couldn’t stay silent in my apartment. I had to yell and make sounds to deal with the pain. My ear was in pain and full of fluid for about an hour after. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to take them 3 times a day for ten days, as the pain is excruciating and I don’t think I’ll be taking them at all anymore.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “Update...after suffering severe tinnitus for two weeks and being misdiagnosed with a middle ear infection at an urgent care clinic, I was finally able to see an ENT. My eardrum was covered with a thick coat of dried drops. Two visits later all traces of the drops have been removed, but I am told it will take some time for the ear/brain connection to correct itself. Don’t use these drops.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “I got Tinnitus as a side effect from these combo drops hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b- do not use them. Has anyone else had this side effect and recovered? Please post.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “Beware of this medication! Whatever you do, do not take it. It will wreak havoc on your ear. After taking 4 drops 4 times a day for 7 days it formed a cast in my ear. I had to see an ENT (as I was given the medication at an urgent care) afterwards because my ear had a “rice krispie” sound whenever I’d touch it. He told me my ear was dry and unable to clean until he gave me a different set of drops to clear it up. Why is this medication given to anyone? It needs to be removed ASAP.”

Concerned August 25, 2020

“My 12 year old went to doctor today for ear ache. Diagnosis: Middle ear infection. Got antibiotics and these drops. The burning and stinging pain after 3 uses of the drops, can’t take anymore. The burning of ears and burning now gone to throat area. We have discontinued the drops and going to get something else. I should have read the reviews first. I don’t recommend these.”

Katw87 August 24, 2020

For Otitis Media: “I got water stuck in my ear 2 weeks prior and could hear it slosh around every once in a while and it started to be tender to the touch. Called Teladoc on a Saturday to see if they would rx me something to help. I was prescribed these awful drops and started them Saturday late afternoon. The first dose was fine but it was during my second dose that night that I started having excruciating pain and loss hearing in my ear. My whole neck and cheek was swollen and I couldn’t chew. It was worst than before I started the drops. I thought if I continued to use them, it would get better. I wrong, I continued for another day and a half and was in bed with throbbing pain at all times. The only thing that gave me brief relief was a hot rice pack. I went into my Dr. that Monday and had a 101 fever and 123 HR. My Dr said my ear canal was so swollen he couldn’t see past it. My symptoms didn’t turn until I started these drops! Spare yourself and please do not use these drops, throw them away!”

bucket · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “Went to ear doctor today mild discomfort he looked at my ear said ear infection sucked the fluid out and prescribed this ear drops 5 drops 3 times a day went and picked them up at pharmacy. I had no pain and within one minute I had pain down my throat my ear was on fire the pain was big time and I'm not allergic or have I had a reaction to medication in my life. Four hours later it started to settle down this stuff is already thrown out and I'll get another antibiotic this stuff is nasty.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “I used the drops in both ears for a week because my ears were itchy. Itch went away but after a week my ears became clogged, sounds were muffled and hearing loss in the right ear. Went to ENT after two weeks. Seems that the suspension caused a crust to form on the war drums preventing them from vibrating which caused the muffled sound and the rating loss. ENT used a small tweezer, pulled crust from both ears and voila’... I could hear again. If you get the symptoms I had , let your ENT know to check for that. Don’t use the suspension for longer than 10 days.”

Laura · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

For Otitis Media: “This was so painful! One day after taking these drops my ear infection got worse. My ear was so painful to the touch, red, my face was swollen and it was traveling to my throat. I couldn't breathe and my heart was racing for hours, I felt like I was having a heart attack. Finally realized after three days it was the drops that were causing all these problems. I pray these drops did not cause permanent damage to my lungs and ears, I am still having breathing problems. I go to the ENT and doctor tomorrow to look things over. Worst experience of my life.”

finallyhearing May 12, 2020

For Otitis Media: “Like frustrated, I received these drops for presumed otis media. My hearing worsened after three days, I was then ordered oral antibiotics but instructed to finish drops. On the sixth day my hearing became suddenly markedly muffled in my left ear. I saw my PCP despite the pandemic. Negative CT. I was referred to ENT. When they saw my ears they visualized this "casting" which when shown to me on a large screen, looked like a frozen cracked lake on my eardrum. I had to do mineral oil drops twice daily for a few weeks and return. The doctor was able to remove the cast from both eardrums and my hearing instantly improved. It feels like my ears popped for the first time in 2 months. I am ELATED. He showed me the casts, it looked like crunchy thick seran wrap-DO NOT USE THESE.”

LADYJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

For Otitis Media: “Used the Neomycin and Polymycin B ear drop prior to going to bed. I was awaken about 4:30 a.m., with a severe itch and stinging in and around my right ear. I used the drop the next morning and noticed I began to itch worse and continued, leading to bumps, redness, swollen and scaly ear that feels like rubber to the touch. I decided not to use it again. I called the doctor and was prescribed other meds to treat it. I'm praying it gets better and go away very soon.”

Anonymous April 15, 2020

For Otitis Media: “I went to a new PCP with chief complaints of a migraine, ear infection, sore throat, and nasal drip on March 13th, 2020. The antibiotic did not work and my ears were still in pain, on March 21, 2020 My PCP then called me a prescription for these hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b ear drops. My ears got extremely worse than before making it unbearable. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that I still have an ear infection and scaring inside my ears! Both of my ears now have hearing loss, ringing, severe pain, migraines, sinus pain, coughing, memory loss, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, dry mouth, dry throat, loss of voice, shaking of hands, slow and jerky muscle movements, frequent urination, bowel cramps, feeling about to pass out, dizziness, chest pain, tight chest and breathing problems, loss of appetite, insomnia. I pray that this medicine is removed from the shelves. It is a dangerous drug and I pray that it does not cause life long threatening complications or even death after using it.”

Sandy April 15, 2020

For Otitis Media: “I went to a new PCP with chief complaints of a migraine, ear infection, sore throat, and nasal drip on March 13th, 2020. The antibiotic did not work and my ears were still in pain, on March 21, 2020 My PCP then called me a prescription for these ear drops. My ears got extremely worse than before making it unbearable. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that I still have an ear infection and scaring inside my ears! Both of my ears now have hearing loss, ringing, severe pain, migraines, sinus pain, coughing, memory loss, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, dry mouth, dry throat, loss of voice, shaking of hands, slow and jerky muscle movements, frequent urination, bowel cramps, feeling about to pass out, dizziness, chest pain, tight chest and breathing problems, loss of appetite, insomnia. I pray that you remove this medicine from the shelves. It is a dangerous drug and I pray that it does not cause life long threatening complications or even death after using it.”

T March 18, 2020

For Otitis Media: “This hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ear drop made my ears bleed, I had ringing and clogged up even worse so I can't hear”

Vadore February 13, 2020

For Otitis Media: “Visited my ear doctor this morning as I have tubes placed and one seemed to be causing slight pain. The doc noticed I had an active sinus infection and prescribed these drops for the ear with the tube to prevent infection. He placed the first drops while I was in his office. There was a bit of mild discomfort but nothing too serious. I placed the second dose and initially all seemed well. Before 3 minutes were up the pain hit with the fierceness of a f5 hurricane. It hit sudden and was excruciating. With tears in my eyes I crawled to the bathroom. I had severe dizziness and couldn't stand for fear I'd fall. After I removed as much as I was able and placed a cotton ball in the painful ear. This has greatly helped. These drops are straight from the bowels of a volcano. This drop isn't worth the risk it poses and need to be off the market!”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “I was prescribed these ear drops for ear pain and everything seemed to be going okay until a week after I stopped taking it. I now have ringing in the ear, ear fullness, and ear pain. The ENT said I have partial hearing loss now and I don’t know if it’s because of these drops or not!!! Do not use even if you are in severe pain!!!!”

Lo · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2020

For Otitis Externa: “One of the worst ear drops I have to take. I was having irritation in both ears due to excessive q-tip use and the doctor prescribed me this for pain. I used in both ears for the first day, 3 times a day and it burned and itches when I tried it. Also made both of my ears completely clogged and now barely drains and the skin around the ear is sore and dry and scabby. I tried it again the next day which was a huge mistake. Now both ears are also again completely clogged and my gland under my right ear on my face is painful and enlarged and barely drains. I can’t hear out of both ears and it hurts to chew. Do not use this medication. I’m surprised this was even prescribed to me when I could have used something else. This medication shouldn’t even be on the market at all. I’m wondering why the doctor who prescribed it to me with out telling me the side effects and I’m worried now that it has caused damage to my ear. I hope not. I’m really angry.”

Mama bear December 16, 2019

Cortisporin Otic (hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b) for Otitis Media: “My 7 year old son had ANOTHER ear infection. The minute I tried this new medication he started cry and rubbing his hear crying out in pain. His ear turned bright red and he got a terrible taste in his mouth. I obviously stopped giving it to him. This is the first ear drop that's caused this reaction from him.”

Leigh · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

For Otitis Externa: “I had perfect hearing Used these drops for a scaley ear. Now I have ringing in my ears”

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

For Otitis Media: “Lost hearing in my ear using this med. Finally went to specialist he said this seeped into inner ear. Could cause a problem. Pain unbearable. User beware. Don't use this product.”

Frustrated September 27, 2019

For Otitis Externa: “Prescribed by an ENT for an outer ear infection I used these drops for 5 days & seemed to take care of the infection however, one week later my hearing became muffled. I returned to the ENT who said I had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction & prescribed steriods, etc but it only worsened to the point of being debilitating. An MRI was order, CT scan performed with negative results. I saw 3 other ENTs who also were unable to help. After 4 months I was referred to my 4th ENT who found the drops had left a residue forming a cast on my ear drum rendering it unable to move. 3 wks of oil treatment helped loosen the cast from my drum, it was easily removed, and although this freed up my ear drum, my ear is still struggling to clear. I am appalled that drops that could cause such damage are being prescribed.”

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

For Otitis Media: “OMG. After having my ear extensively cleaned out from dead skin due to my botched tympanoplasty several years ago I was given this prescription. Saw the doctor Tuesday and inserted the first 4 drops Wednesday night. I have never felt anything like that. It was the worst pain I have even inflicted on myself on purpose. Severe burning that extended down into my jaw and mouth. Put the drops in a bout 10 pm and at 4:00 am my ears still had stabbing pains. I am waiting for a return call from the doctor. I will never touch this stuff again and have stored it away after putting a big warning label on it. Doctor never warned me of this possibility and I had to search on line to see that this has happened to others. It cannot possibly be good for you. I only hope it hasn't damaged my ear even more that another doctor already damaged.”

Roni · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

For Otitis Externa: “I had an incident where a bug crawled into my ear while I was sleeping and believe me it was extremely painful. I went to the ER and they pulled it out and wrote me a prescription for Hydrocortisone/Neomycin/Polymyxin B Otic to ensure I would not develop a ear infection after the procedure. I was instructed to use 3-4 drops, 3 times a day for 7 days and then discontinue use of them. I followed these instructions precisely. 3 days after I stopped taking them my inner ear started to become extremely itchy, and I had discharge coming out of my ear. After that my inner ear was scaly and a painful and itchy. It has since then spread to my outer earlobe. My earlobe is covered in a rash and is swollen. I also experienced hearing loss, and I now have a lump behind my ear. Please do not use these drops”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

For Otitis Externa: “I have bad seasonal allergies that sometimes affect my Eustachian tubes and I tend to end up with otitis externa in one of my ears as a result. ENT doctor prescribed these drops. They're very effective and get rid of the pain and swelling that results from this ear infection. The only side effect is that it makes my ear very itchy. I'll apply an itch relief cream like Benadryl around the outside of my ear and it usually does the trick. Definitely do not use for more than 10 days.”