User Reviews for Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic to treat Otitis Media

Also known as: Cortisporin Otic, Antibiotic Ear, Cortomycin, Casporyn HC, AK-Spore HC Otic Suspension, Drotic, Cortatrigen Modified Cortatrigen Cort-Biotic

Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic has an average rating of 1.9 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Media. 10% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 90% reported a negative effect.

Hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b otic Rating Summary

1.9/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b otic

finallyhearing May 12, 2020

“Like frustrated, I received these drops for presumed otis media. My hearing worsened after three days, I was then ordered oral antibiotics but instructed to finish drops. On the sixth day my hearing became suddenly markedly muffled in my left ear. I saw my PCP despite the pandemic. Negative CT. I was referred to ENT. When they saw my ears they visualized this "casting" which when shown to me on a large screen, looked like a frozen cracked lake on my eardrum. I had to do mineral oil drops twice daily for a few weeks and return. The doctor was able to remove the cast from both eardrums and my hearing instantly improved. It feels like my ears popped for the first time in 2 months. I am ELATED. He showed me the casts, it looked like crunchy thick seran wrap-DO NOT USE THESE.”

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

“OMG. After having my ear extensively cleaned out from dead skin due to my botched tympanoplasty several years ago I was given this prescription. Saw the doctor Tuesday and inserted the first 4 drops Wednesday night. I have never felt anything like that. It was the worst pain I have even inflicted on myself on purpose. Severe burning that extended down into my jaw and mouth. Put the drops in a bout 10 pm and at 4:00 am my ears still had stabbing pains. I am waiting for a return call from the doctor. I will never touch this stuff again and have stored it away after putting a big warning label on it. Doctor never warned me of this possibility and I had to search on line to see that this has happened to others. It cannot possibly be good for you. I only hope it hasn't damaged my ear even more that another doctor already damaged.”

Anonymous April 15, 2020

“I went to a new PCP with chief complaints of a migraine, ear infection, sore throat, and nasal drip on March 13th, 2020. The antibiotic did not work and my ears were still in pain, on March 21, 2020 My PCP then called me a prescription for these hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b ear drops. My ears got extremely worse than before making it unbearable. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that I still have an ear infection and scaring inside my ears! Both of my ears now have hearing loss, ringing, severe pain, migraines, sinus pain, coughing, memory loss, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, dry mouth, dry throat, loss of voice, shaking of hands, slow and jerky muscle movements, frequent urination, bowel cramps, feeling about to pass out, dizziness, chest pain, tight chest and breathing problems, loss of appetite, insomnia. I pray that this medicine is removed from the shelves. It is a dangerous drug and I pray that it does not cause life long threatening complications or even death after using it.”

Mama bear December 16, 2019

Cortisporin Otic (hydrocortisone / neomycin / polymyxin b): “My 7 year old son had ANOTHER ear infection. The minute I tried this new medication he started cry and rubbing his hear crying out in pain. His ear turned bright red and he got a terrible taste in his mouth. I obviously stopped giving it to him. This is the first ear drop that's caused this reaction from him.”

Laura · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

“This was so painful! One day after taking these drops my ear infection got worse. My ear was so painful to the touch, red, my face was swollen and it was traveling to my throat. I couldn't breathe and my heart was racing for hours, I felt like I was having a heart attack. Finally realized after three days it was the drops that were causing all these problems. I pray these drops did not cause permanent damage to my lungs and ears, I am still having breathing problems. I go to the ENT and doctor tomorrow to look things over. Worst experience of my life.”

Vadore February 13, 2020

“Visited my ear doctor this morning as I have tubes placed and one seemed to be causing slight pain. The doc noticed I had an active sinus infection and prescribed these drops for the ear with the tube to prevent infection. He placed the first drops while I was in his office. There was a bit of mild discomfort but nothing too serious. I placed the second dose and initially all seemed well. Before 3 minutes were up the pain hit with the fierceness of a f5 hurricane. It hit sudden and was excruciating. With tears in my eyes I crawled to the bathroom. I had severe dizziness and couldn't stand for fear I'd fall. After I removed as much as I was able and placed a cotton ball in the painful ear. This has greatly helped. These drops are straight from the bowels of a volcano. This drop isn't worth the risk it poses and need to be off the market!”

LADYJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

“Used the Neomycin and Polymycin B ear drop prior to going to bed. I was awaken about 4:30 a.m., with a severe itch and stinging in and around my right ear. I used the drop the next morning and noticed I began to itch worse and continued, leading to bumps, redness, swollen and scaly ear that feels like rubber to the touch. I decided not to use it again. I called the doctor and was prescribed other meds to treat it. I'm praying it gets better and go away very soon.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2016

“This was prescribed to my son who has tubes in his ears.... It caused him even more pain and once the crying stopped it put him in a comatosed state for an hour or more each time we put them in.... We stopped it even though his dr said to continue for two more days... I couldn't watch my 2 year old go through this any more... We are contemplating a law suit against the dr who prescribed them as it may have caused hearing loss..”

Katw87 August 24, 2020

“I got water stuck in my ear 2 weeks prior and could hear it slosh around every once in a while and it started to be tender to the touch. Called Teladoc on a Saturday to see if they would rx me something to help. I was prescribed these awful drops and started them Saturday late afternoon. The first dose was fine but it was during my second dose that night that I started having excruciating pain and loss hearing in my ear. My whole neck and cheek was swollen and I couldn’t chew. It was worst than before I started the drops. I thought if I continued to use them, it would get better. I wrong, I continued for another day and a half and was in bed with throbbing pain at all times. The only thing that gave me brief relief was a hot rice pack. I went into my Dr. that Monday and had a 101 fever and 123 HR. My Dr said my ear canal was so swollen he couldn’t see past it. My symptoms didn’t turn until I started these drops! Spare yourself and please do not use these drops, throw them away!”

Sandy April 15, 2020

“I went to a new PCP with chief complaints of a migraine, ear infection, sore throat, and nasal drip on March 13th, 2020. The antibiotic did not work and my ears were still in pain, on March 21, 2020 My PCP then called me a prescription for these ear drops. My ears got extremely worse than before making it unbearable. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that I still have an ear infection and scaring inside my ears! Both of my ears now have hearing loss, ringing, severe pain, migraines, sinus pain, coughing, memory loss, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, dry mouth, dry throat, loss of voice, shaking of hands, slow and jerky muscle movements, frequent urination, bowel cramps, feeling about to pass out, dizziness, chest pain, tight chest and breathing problems, loss of appetite, insomnia. I pray that you remove this medicine from the shelves. It is a dangerous drug and I pray that it does not cause life long threatening complications or even death after using it.”

Marina · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

“I am supposed to be on these ear drops for 10 days, leading up to my next ENT appointment. I have a tube in the ear I’m prescribed the drops for, and when using ear drops with a tube, you’re told to “pump” your tragus with your finger a couple of times in order to push the fluid further into your sinuses. I put 4 drops in, and immediately felt a burning in the back of my face. I pumped it twice, like normal, and felt the most intense, immediate pain to the point where I couldn’t stay silent in my apartment. I had to yell and make sounds to deal with the pain. My ear was in pain and full of fluid for about an hour after. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to take them 3 times a day for ten days, as the pain is excruciating and I don’t think I’ll be taking them at all anymore.”

Avoid · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2021

“Do not take this drug, the other reviews were correct, this drug WILL form a crust over your eardrum. Follow up after taking this drug showed that there is a crusty film covering my eardrum, doc tried to remove it but it hurt really bad so he stopped. Going back to ENT soon to get it fully removed. I hope no permanent damage will be done to my hearing, this drug needs to be banned ASAP.”

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“Lost hearing in my ear using this med. Finally went to specialist he said this seeped into inner ear. Could cause a problem. Pain unbearable. User beware. Don't use this product.”

emmyk September 12, 2018

“Totally ineffective. SUPER PAINFUL. After the second dose it left my ear throbbing and swollen with shooting pains for almost 24 hours straight.”

Anonymous February 14, 2017

“I had an ear infection after having swimmers ear. Dr prescribed me this and now I have hearing loss!!! It's horrible!”

T March 18, 2020

“This hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ear drop made my ears bleed, I had ringing and clogged up even worse so I can't hear”

hearing lost · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2017

“Because of this medicine, my hearing is damaged... Perhaps permanently is what the consensus is. Never use.”

Su December 21, 2018

“Big swelling and pain on eyebrow of the infected ear that I used drop in”

PSTAR7 · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

“I have had a middle ear infection for months and got prescribed these drops and Amoxicillin. I've been using the drops 3x daily like specified and no improvement what so ever”

sunnykim32 · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2017

“In my experience, this medication soothed my aching ear considerably.”

Aprilc091234 January 15, 2016

“Horrible. These eardrops didn't work at all. 7 days later and I'm still miserable!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 21, 2021

“I'm not sure why there's so many bad reviews, these ear drops always work for my chronic ear infections and I don't have any hearing loss.”