User Reviews for Xiaflex to treat Dupuytren's contracture

Xiaflex has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Dupuytren's contracture. 22% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 74% reported a negative effect.

Xiaflex Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Dupuytren's contracture.

Reviews for Xiaflex

JB January 30, 2021

“After considering surgery, I decided instead to have a Xiaflex injection to treat Dupuytren's contracture of the pinky finger of my left (non-dominant) hand. At this time (approximately two months post injection), I am extremely pleased with the result. I did not have to risk the complications and long-healing time of surgery, and the contracture has almost completely disappeared, along with the chords that caused it. Yes, there was some pain and discomfort during the administration of the Xiaflex and again the next day, when a local anesthesia was injected prior to the finger manipulation. These were expected and well tolerated. I recovered full use of my hand within a few days after the procedure. It is important to find an experienced hand surgeon who has had a lot of success doing these injections.”

LA Annie November 13, 2020

“Had Xiaflex injection mid August, it's now end of November. The injection procedures, both Xiaflex drug and Novacain numbing is the most painful thing I have ever experiences. Feel like I survived torture. First week after injection, left hand and arm were swollen and arm turned red/purple, green then yellow for about two weeks. Drug is very expensive and co-pay was almost $2000. After over three months of PT and wearing splint at night (and any other time I'm not using hand) fingers curl back to original 50 degree bend. Concluded that procedure did not work. DO NOT HAVE THIS PROCEDURE. INTEND TO COMPLAIN TO AUTHORITIES-FDA, PHYSICIAN LICENSING, WHO EVER WILL LISTEN.”

M Kevin · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2018

“I thought I would try this less invasive alternative to hand surgery. I had 45 degree bend in both hands effecting the pinkies. The injection was painful for a few seconds and my hand was wrapped so I could not move the finger. Two days later my surgeon manipulated the finger. He injected me with a numbing agent which again was painful for a few seconds. The manipulation was successful in both hands but one had a skin tear that needed attention post-op. I performed PT afterwards and wore a splint at night for three months. All was fine until the cord returned on both hands to the same degree as before. This occurred within one year. Therefore I rate the result as a one. I subsequently had hand surgery to remove the effected tissue and the results have been exceptional after four years. Basis my experience I would not suggest the Xiaflex treatment alternative. The success rate is too low and the cost and pain too high. Find a good hand surgeon, under go the PT and be happy with the results.”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2019

“Received the injection in my left hand, about 6 hours later ended up in the emergency room with my lymph glands under my left armpit about the size of a baseball. Next day it turned black and blue. Procedure was not successful and following year went under the knife. I would not recommend this expensive alternative.”

Dude · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2019

“Before 1-07-19 I thought the benchmark for pain was the night I had to undergo an emergency bladder catheterization for another issue. The Xiaflex injection that I just experienced completely erased that unpleasant memory with a brand new horrifying one. The next day when my hand was injected with novocaine before the manipulation was almost as bad as the Xiaflex. I briefly glanced at my hand when the procedure was complete and saw that my fingers were back to their normal position. My point is simple. As medicine advances isn't the comfort of the patient supposed to be a main part of the equation? I had Needle Aponuerotomy on two previous occasions and the discomfort was minor compared to this, not to mention less expensive to all concerned. My other hand is also due and I would rather live under a freeway bridge that go through Xiaflex again. I'm definitely going back to N.A. even if I have to go out of network and pay out of my pocket.”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2021

“Had the treatment 20 months ago for a 45 degree bend in my little finger. The pain was minor. The procedure was very successful with no return. I’m sorry for the poor outcomes others have had... my experience was very positive and I would certainly do it again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“I would not recommend this procedure at all. I had a reaction to the injection which caused bruising on my arm up to my armpit. It felt like my whole right side of my body was just not quite right, however my Dr. said that it just couldn't be from the shot. It is a week and a half later and my arm still hurts and my little finger is bruised, swollen and aches. The procedure was painful and the manipulation of my little finger 3 days after the shot hurt and I felt the tearing of the cord or whatever. My finger is still so swollen and bent that I'm not sure how straight it will be after it heals up, hoping upon hope that it actually heals and I can use it again. Again, I would not ever do this again!”

John · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 21, 2018

“Absolute waste of time and money. Even after my PPO coverage I was still left owing more than $3,000. It was VERY painful and only a few months after the treatment my hands are back the way they were before I started. This is despite hand therapy 3 times a week and wearing a brace while sleeping. DO NOT HAVE THIS TREATMENT!! Find another way - I suggest Needle aponeurotomy which I did several times with great success.”

Charlottesville November 14, 2019

“I had surgery in my left and thought I would try this less invasive method. The pain of the injection and finger stretch was moderately painful. The problem is the contracture returned in 9 months and was worse than before the treatment, 60 went to 90 degrees.”

Arthur dent July 15, 2017

“Painful, expensive and useless treatment. I have extensive dupuytrens. No follow up whatsoever. Immediate results seemed hopeful, but regressed almost immediately despite pt and stretching regimen. No difference whatsoever from pre treatment condition after 6 months.”

Unhappy · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“I was so excited to finally get my hand straightened out!! My doctor who had special training injecting xiaflex never recommended surgery to correct my hand. He told me that I would be very happy with the results!! Well I am not. My ring finger is at a 90 degree angle. He now recommends surgery. I have a very high deductible -so the xiaflex alone was $3600.00 out of pocket!! With very little correction. I can’t help but think that these doctors kick-back to recommend the injection over the surgery. And since you purchase the xiaflex from a professional pharmacy - no refund or adjustment is issued. Very unhappy!!!”

dbt March 26, 2021

“It has now been a year since I had the injections. I did not experience pain to the extent that some people have posted. My injection resulted in about a 50% improvement and it has stayed that way after one year. Still have a problem with it going numb in cold weather, but in spring and summer it is not a problem. All in all I feel it was a better option then surgery for me”

Neveragain May 11, 2021

“Extremely painful and the outcome was no correction. The side effects were relentless itching after the painful injections, my hand and arm swelled 2x it’s normal size for a week after injections and my hand was so painful I couldn’t even touch it. It’s only been two weeks and still experiencing pain and bruising. This drug should be taken off the market in my opinion. A waste of time, money, and unnecessary complications for absolutely no reason! I’ll turn to amputation before I would ever do this treatment again.”

klippies August 27, 2020

“Had a more than 90 degree contraction. The injection is painful but I had no bruising. The injection of the anesthetic was very painful. Manipulation of the finger resulted in a definite snap of the cord but the result was very disappointing. Only gained about 20 degrees. Sitting with an extremely swollen and painful hand two days later.”

kt · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“I was very disappointed with Xiaflex. I had procedure involving 3 shots to correct Dupuytrens contracture in right hand, small finger. Shots were very painful  and syringe supplied by Endo "blew apart" on 2 nd shot. Next day cord break left open wound which could not be stitched and took several weeks to heal. Finger is still 20 % bent and still has extra mass under skin. Making maters worse my copay was over $900. Previously I had  two operations for same condition in diff fingers. Much much better approach and results and less out of pocket. ”

dbt November 8, 2020

“It has now been 8 months since I had my injection which resulted in a 50% improvement. No return to the previous contraction yet. The problem is the circulation in the finger is very poor, there is visible atrophy in the finger and it goes numb with the slightest amount of cold. From my experience I can not recommend this procedure. Will update my review in about 3 months.”

Tito · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2021

“I received Xiaflex and it was painful and ineffective. It’s only been 7 months and my fingers returned to their previous contracture point. I had surgery 6 years ago on two different fingers for dupuytrens and they’re still straight. I would not recommend Xiaflex.... expensive and a waste of time.”

Anonymous July 21, 2021

“I had my right my hand done with the injection Xiaflex and it was very painful and not a success. A few months later I had surgery on the pinky finger and therapy and it’s straight. In March I had the injection done on my left hand and again very painful”

Jerry · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 20, 2021

“I first developed Dupuytren's contracture in my early 60's in my right pinky finger. No history of this in my siblings, parents or grand parents. I had Xiaflex injections and manipulation with very good results. The shot was painful, but tolerable. The manipulation was pretty easy (not aggressive). The doctor numbed my hand, then gently flexed my finger and the cord snapped (almost no pain). However, it needed to be done again (same finger) about 4 years later with a different doctor. That was about 3 years ago, and I continue to have a good result. Pain from that injection was about the same, but the manipulation was aggressive. My skin split and needed additional care. I have not had a reoccurrence in my right hand since. Since then, I have developed it in my left ring and pinky finger. I had Xiaflex injected in the pinky and ring finger yesterday and go back in 4 days for manipulation. Looking forward to a good result.”

CP Australia · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2021

“Had the injection and manipulation in June 2019. The out of pocket expense was considerably high. I had no adverse reactions and initially my pinky and ring fingers were not perfectly straight but I was happy. However after six months the pinky started to flex again and by 12 months was back to what it started at and is still becoming worse. Now at 90 degrees. Would never recommend this treatment.”

Sondrew · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2021

“I am only one day post manipulation, so I’m not sure of my lasting results. But I would not do it again, due to the pain and the tearing, even though my insurance covered the injection 100%. I had it done to my severely bent ring finger, which has been operated on twice before. The tearing was predicted, but the pain of the xiaflex and local numbing agent was unimaginable.”

DiamondDave · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2021

“Had left hand done in May and now having right hand manipulated tomorrow. Xiaflex injections are somewhat painful but worth it. The local injections are worse but tolerable, manipulation is nothing. Had minor bruising but no problems otherwise. My right hand has swollen and been a little more painful since Xiaflex injection earlier but I am right handed and use it more. Find a good doctor and get this done, nothing to it!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2021

“Made my 2nd and little finger have a bend in them at the big middle joint that won't straighten out now. Overall fingers in right hand seem swollen on the underside and extremely sensitive to touch . My hand has lost the grip it had before the injections . Now I know why you can't get it from the USA into Canada any more. There should be a class action lawsuit over this poor drug that does more damage than good .”

Amelia Tejera Valdivia · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2016

“A very positive experience without noside effects.”

Learn more about Dupuytren's contracture