User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Tegretol Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Tegretol to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I just started tegretol 2 days ago in conjunction with Cipralex and Clonazapam. I've taken the last two mentioned for years up until a few months ago and never had side effects so I know the side effects are from the Tegretol. No appetite. Nausea, and severe migraines. Definitely making me more hopeful and less suicidal and less impulsive, but I just hope the physical symptoms go away soon. I've never been on Tegretol before."

Haileyp January 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"As I've only been on the medication a week, don't take this review exactly to heart. My first day on this medication was extremely brain foggy, trouble concentrating and very sleepy. I was already sleeping excessively to begin with, which is something I was needing help with. The first night I took this I slept for 14 hours, which is actually way more then I usually do. I also didn't really feel like myself taking this medication, it kinda sucks the life right out of you. I would reply slower to things, take longer to think of responses, and all in all lack the normal enthusiasm I usually had. Now, as far as my mood swings went, I believe I have a mild case of bipolar. My doctor prescribed me 200 mg twice a day, which I've just been halfing"

saburna (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on tegretol about 2 weeks and at 1.4 weeks just went up to 600 mgs and dont like the side affects stopping it as of today. taking for bipolar"

cookietiger November 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I found teratoll very helpful I take I conjunction with mertazapine and it has really changed my life I have many lifetime issues that will never go away but with this combination of drugs I feel my condition is under control now I take 400 milligrams per day of slow release with my dose of mertazapine and I only get angry now like a normal person get irrational only in extreme circumstances but generally I can function fine"

Herbie goes to Monte carlo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Bad side effects after several months!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This was the best medication I have ever had. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I only trouble I have had was at one time the Doctor tried to up me to 2 night and 2 in the morning and it caused terrible vertigo like feeling. I couldn't even stand up. Overal I would say it's a great medication."

Emankcin May 24, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was depressed and in bed for 4 years until I was diagnosed with bi polar. I am now 2 months with Tegretol, out of bed and am enjoying life like never before. It has been a miracle for me."

sunny_surfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day."

Ezgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"it helped with the mania , but i was always drowsy and could not concentrate , also i gained weight...."

saba44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me."

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression."

rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2014

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay."

Crazilysweet March 1, 2014

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication."

Bipolar? January 26, 2014

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify."

Wolfie Kins December 19, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!"

Zara91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2013