User Reviews for Bromfed DM to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

Bromfed DM has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion. 52% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Bromfed DM Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Bromfed DM

Marijean March 6, 2013

“I was so miserable with upper respiratory symptoms; nasal congestion, coughing all night, etc. One dose of Bromfed DM and I felt so much better, slept all night without coughing and congestion was gone. Great stuff!”

kmg's mom · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2013

“Great! My daughter has had a cold and cough to the point of vomiting a few times. After the Dr checked her to make sure nothing serious, gave her this and she felt immediately better. Coughing and congestion significantly reduced. Bromfed is amazing and tastes good too (I always try anything I am going to give my children).”

Me2017 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2017

“I find that giving my 4 yr old son Bromfed DM, makes him aggressive and sleepless. I am not sure if its a combination with Albuterol or just by itself. I would say that he is hypersensitive to these drugs including zyrtec, claritin and singulair. When he was younger I would give him bromfed dm and zyrtec also. He would be hyper and I thought that was his "normal behavior". When he got switched to claritin and singulair its when we noticed how much more aggressive he was becoming. When I stopped all the medicine, its when his demeanor completely changed. He suffers from environmental allergies & now when I give him any of the medications above, his demeanor starts changing. His aggression is uncontrollable. His doctors don't believe me.”

Montgomery · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

“This is the second time I’ve used this medication for a sinus infection. It is the best medicine I’ve ever been prescribed for getting rid of congestion in my head that moves down to chest. There is an immediate reduction in symptoms after first dose, which is impressive for any medication. Only side effect for me is loss of appetite.”

Awesome1jg · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2013

“I thought I had the flu. Long story short, too late to treat so I was sent home with cough meds. I was offered codeine but that stuff never worked for me so I asked if there was anything else. I had mentioned that I had allergies as well so he gave me this. I felt so much better within an hour of the first dose. No drowsiness for me but I don't get drowsy with Benadryl either so I wasn't expecting it.”

Susiej · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2019

“I don't normally write reviews and I know everybody reacts differently to medication. But I will never take Bromfed DM again!!! It made my heart feel like it was going to beat right out my chest. It did not help my coughing at all which is why it was prescribed for me. I hope it works well for others. But for me I'll never take it again!!!!”

Kmallas87 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“My Daughter was recently prescribed this medication for her cough and nasal congestion that wasn’t clearing up for two weeks. This has started to significantly improve her symptoms to where she’s not sneezing and having a lot of mucous in her nasal passages. The only down fall to it, is the flavor along with the drowsiness. It makes her soooo sleepy and groggy and a little slower than usual with her speech and actions. But overall the benefits have outweighed that and has proven to be what she needed to get better as she was diagnosed with a bad case of allergies and possible viral infection that accompanied her allergy symptoms.”

Ang · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2018

“Worked well for me! I have been dealing with cough/cold for the last week + ear infection and went to the doctor today. She gave me bromfed DM on top of an antibiotic for my ear infection and I have noticed much improvement even after just 1 dose. I can breathe out of my nose again!”

MommyOfGirls · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2014

“I went to the doctor for my preschooler and the 1st time, they sent me home with nothing but recommendations for OT remedies. A week and a half later, no improvement, especially at night when coughing became unbearable for my little one. They gave her Bromfed DM and diagnosed allergies on top of the cold. Worked like a charm. She was able to rest and fight the cold and was back to her old self. Now, I have the cold, and I have tried Nyquil, cough drops, honey and lemon and tea remedies. Nothing worked. My daughter had a half bottle leftover, (I do not have insurance for myself and don't qualify for any if you are wondering) so I had to do research on reactions, dosage, etc. Mommy hasn't slept. Hoping it works.”

K. Ron · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2018

“I have been officially diagnosed with the flu so you know I am not exaggerating when I say my cough is horrendous. I will cough for so long, non-stop for an hour or more, that I feel like I am going to go crazy. In the beginning I took an OTC medication for colds. The next day, I took prescription Bromfed. The only difference between the prescription Bromfed & the OTC medication is the Bromfed seems to work a little faster than the OTC meds.”

sydlynn · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

“I could not sleep because of this medicine, it made me feel like I had to move every second and made me so paranoid and anxious. It also made my heart pound hard and just made me feel so messed up, I can’t wait for it to wear off to never take it again. I literally feel like I’m about to have a heart attack”

Matt · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“The taste is unbearable I dread taking this awful medicine when I take it I get better in a few days but you’re way better off taking a different decongestant their are many other options that you can ask your doctor for but if you can’t swallow pills bromfed is the way to go but I highly recommended mixing it into a different soft drink”

Andrew620 January 9, 2018

“Awful experience awful drug... It seriously made me feel like I was about to have a seizure (had my first seizure a month and a half before this happened) wasn't a good feeling at all... would definitely recommend staying away from this one!”

Retired Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2021

“This med has been effective for my frequent cough and upper respiratory congestion which I had experienced for a day and night before being tested (negative) for covid. I carefully measured the 10 ml dose because I know the importance accurate dosing. The taste was very pleasant, so possibly the manufacturer has made a change, since I read reviews of really bad taste. It very quickly began to relieve the “heavy” feeling in my chest and promoted deep breathing without coughing. I slept well with less coughing and did not take the med during the night. I stayed very well hydrated with water. Second day of taking Bromfed DM: the congestion is breaking up. I feel much better.”

Anonymous June 6, 2013

“Works great. Nothing helped my cough and congestion until I began taking Bromfed.”

Lua · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2012

“Fast recovering.”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

“Helped cough but the trade off for the severe side effects of nausea, dizziness and heart palpitations was not a worth it. Never taking it again.”

Ed Boca March 8, 2017

“Worked well. I took every 4 hrs about 7 ml ”

ktcc February 22, 2016

“nothing better after 2 days, still coughing a lot”

Dat boi · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2016

“Did nothing for my cough.”

Elly jumbo January 28, 2016

“Can't urinate for 2 days, horrible pain, need a catheter”

Jessic2952 · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2017

“Did nothing for my cough. I did however get the side effects. Dizziness, nausea, constipation, then diarrhea. Never again.”

Greg P. · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2015

“Not effective”

Learn more about Cough and Nasal Congestion

More about Bromfed DM (brompheniramine / dextromethorphan / pseudoephedrine)

Other brands
Resperal-DM, Robitussin Allergy & Cough, Brotapp-DM, Allanhist PDX Drops, ... +8 more

Professional resources