User Reviews for Azelaic acid

Also known as: Azelex, Finacea, Finevin

Learn more about Azelaic acid.

Acne 22 reviews 525 medications

8.1
Rosacea 41 reviews 102 medications

8.1
Summary of Azelaic acid reviews 63 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Azelaic acid

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "This review is for Finacea Foam. I visited a Dermatologist and discovered I have Rosacea. She prescribed Finacea Foam and gave me a small booklet to read. In the middle of the booklet it was mentioned that it is important to throw out anything left over 8 weeks after opening. Reason not given....wasteful for something that costs close to $300. I wasn't concerned about any redness in my skin, as it wasn't bad, but I was assured it would take care of the pimple-like bumps that had persisted for years. I tried it for two weeks and there was no improvement.....just got a little worse. It also dried out my skin, so had to use extra moisturizers. No terrible side effects, so rating it a 2. Wish I'd been able to get a sample to try out."

Dayle4c (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I have been using Finacea gel for the last 6 weeks and have seen amazing results. I had been recently diagnosed with a medium case of Rosacea but to me It felt like it was a serious case. Both cheeks and forehead were effected. My forehead and cheeks were at times very red and I became very aware of it.I use it twice a day and have also been given a course of Erythromycin tablets and I also use Zerobase moisturising cream.By using all of the mentioned items I have seen an incredible difference in my face and on occasions my face bears no redness as it used to . I saw some difference in about 10 days by using Finacea gel, and I cannot recommend it enough."

Lennox23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I've been using Finacea on and off for many years!! When I was originally diagnosed with rosacea, the treatment was continuous tetracycline. A couple years later, it was my opthamologist who prescribed Finacea and the results were almost immediate. My usual course of treatment is a morning facial wash with a gentle cleaner and then a few dabs of Finacea smoothed into the affected areas. And then there are periods when I don't use it all until I begin to see the initial telltales signs. Recently and years later, I had a flare-up of rosacea-related acne on my cheeks, a new occurence. My dermatologist placed me on doxycycline and twice-a-day Finacea with excellent results in a matter of a few days. It's been like a cure for me."

Lobstah (taken for 10 years or more) November 13, 2016

For Rosacea: "Used this for rosacea, which i thought was a shaving rash on my face. It immediately went far more red than before to the point where it was visible to others and on a larger area. I persisted and after a few days it was beginning to clear. The peeling is pretty severe and i seem to be flaking heavily everytime i rub my face. I will persist for another few weeks but it has definatley helped. Interesting to note that a tub of 15% 30g costs £8 on the NHS or £45 private wheras in the US it seems comparitely extortionate."

anon98798567 November 1, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I brought it from my country, the insurance does not cover this cream here. I only pay U$27 compared with almost U$400. Finacea is really work to me. I used to wear metroge(didn't work)l, taking a lot of antibiotic in the past. my dermatologic gave me some Finacea samples because it was expensive. I can not understand why all dermatologic problems are considered "cosmetology and insurance not cover them."

vezame October 17, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "Been using for 10 years and has always kept my Rosacea at bay. It stings during the first week of use but definitely worth enduring that discomfort, the results are amazing! A tube now last me almost a year as it only takes a tiny bit of cream to maintain clear skin."

CoryT (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2016

For Rosacea: "I have had some luck with reducing pustules with a product available in Australia - Azclear. It is a 20% azaleic acid. I have had a little bit of peeling - it's quite strong so I use it spareingly. For those in the US it is only $8.95 Aus dollars. Yes! It doesn't need a prescription and it is made by a well trusted company - I'm sure it's able to be purchased online and shipped overseas. Well worth a try - I can't believe it's so expensive in the US!"

Wingster October 1, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 22 years old and have some hormonal acne thats often cystic and painful. I went to the dermatologist and she recommended Finacea and doxycycline (for the first two months until Finacea became more effective) I didn't have horrible acne to begin with but it was just annoying huge ones that would spur up from time to time maybe two or three at a time. Once I started Finacea I got little pimples along with cystic ones on my jaw line and chin area (where I had them before) but now I was also getting pimples on my cheeks and forehead. I am wondering if Finacea makes acne worse before it gets better or if anyone else has found a solution for this/had this experience"

Ateam September 19, 2016

For Rosacea: "currently in drug trial for generic CREAM formulation working really well!"

jjbem (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2016

For Rosacea: "Finacea has transformed my face. It has cleared the breakouts and improved the pigmentation.Just wish they made a cream formulation. I use to much because it dries so fast spreading it is difficult. I have to rush before it dries. A 50gram tube should last me two month's but for me only one month.And even with Insurance it cost me 109 dollars monthly.Maybe one day they will combine cerave moisturizer with active ingredient Azalaic Acid.Sorry so long."

Dr Ford June 20, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "Finacea has worked great for my skin - it is the ONLY product that has taken anyway mostly all of the redness (cutting dairy out of my diet also helped immensely). I now do not wear any makeup other than mascara and a tinted moisturizer for SPF protection. Only thing is - the drug company is making this product almost impossible to afford. $275 every month? I know I certainly can't afford that. My dermo gave me a coupon for the first 10 bottles to be $175 but that is still killing me. I do not know how much longer I can reasonably buy it."

cate L. June 15, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "Started working right away on the numerous colonies of pustules. Food was the cause then spices then alcohol. No. Lack of azelic acid. Obvious. Getting better and I am hopeful. I never had acne as a teen. Getting this rosacea in my early 50'S was frustrating and some of my skin got badly damaged by the pustules. Finacea seems to be correcting some of the damage."

Sea dubya (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "Tiny amount goes a long way."

Chrisy2 May 2, 2016

For Acne: "I had super bad acne for about half a year and it was awful. My dermatologist, at first put me on creams like Aczone and Epiduo and an antibiotic called Doxycycline Monohydrate. My skin started to look better.The dermat switched my antibiotic to a different drug called minocycline. This cleared up my face, but started making some of my acne scars look even darker! I then switched back to my normal, until last December I began having a major allergic reaction to the Epiduo. It was awful! I stopped using it and continued with the pill and with the Aczone. I started to break out again, and I'm hoping that starting Finacea, it will keep me acne free again!"

Larker March 22, 2016

For Rosacea: "I get terrible flare ups when I'm stressed. My father recently passed away so my stress level was extreme! My aunty took one look at my face and said "you need antibiotics" I've been on doxy and azelaic acid combination for 1 week and I've noticed a huge improvement. I've also been using benzac wash which is good for acne prone skin but is super soothing and doesn't dry the skin... so far so good! Made a huge difference in my confidence too."

Min77 March 3, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "Finacea is a miracle drug, but the key to perfect (most of the time) skin is adding a good moisturizer. I use a good skin moisturizer for rosacea. I have my beautiful, glowing skin back!!! It is all worth the money to me. If your skin is burning and red it is probably because you are not using the right moisturizer. Remember, people with rosacea need special moisturizers. Maybe find one made specifically for rosacea. Good luck!!"

Shan1524 February 18, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I have moderate Rosacea but enough where my entire face is pink/red. I started using this two months ago day and night and the redness has gone down minimally, but I've started to break out in deep red pimples on my cheeks. I stopped yesterday and the pimples seem to be clearing up a bit. Definitely wasn't worth it because I now have acne marks all over my face."

Nat1294 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

For Acne: "Best product for acne it literally started clearing my face in two days now my skin is starting to look even better than it did before it fixes skin discoloration as well"

J-09 February 4, 2016

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I've always had super clear skin then recently broke out in a really aggressive bit of Rosacea all over my chin and it was spreading-my confidence was out the window so I went to the doctors and she prescribed me with Finacea-at first it didn't do much and there were times it would flare up and I thought it was actually getting worse but I kept using it twice a day anyway and in the 3rd week it started clearing up more and more every day! I'm now in my 4th week using it and it is almost completely clear-it does take a little time to take effect but the results are so worth the persistence!"

Danni91 January 12, 2016

For Rosacea: "I used this because my friend recommended this and has healed her face for 4 months.. I rarely get pimples, probably 3-5 sometimes when my period is about to come. But I was greedy and I like a clearer face, one that looks like a baby's skin.. no pores and whatsoever.. so I dreamed too much and I used this for 6 weeks.. they said purging is normal, but on the 5th week, it%u2019s like I made myself a monster.. and worse on 6th week.. so my advice is not to use this until the doctor tells you to use it.."

ghino December 23, 2015

For Acne: "I just started this medication about 3 days ago. I have horrible, deep, pustule acne, with nodule and cystic acne as well. Since i've started this medication, the inflammation is practically GONE...no new pimples have come up, and my face actually feels smoother, IN JUST 3 DAYS. I'm in shock. I just found out that i'm pregnant, as they were in the process of getting me started to try accutaine...i'm glad i was pregnant because, i'd rather use this stuff if it works first, rather than a harsh med. So hopefully this continues to help, and i will be sporting beautiful skin in a month or so. I've never had skin so smooth as it is already now, so i'm super excited. I've been suffering with acne for over 10 years, so this is really a relief"

jswtjh4 (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2015

For Acne: "My idiot dermatologist prescribed me finacea for acne. Absolutely terrible for me. I used it for 2 months during the summer, made my skin so much worse than it was in the beginning and gave me huge cysts on both my cheeks. Self-esteem had never been lower. Do NOT TAKE for acne. It was also very expensive ($80). Biggest waste of money."

kaykay12 November 5, 2015

Finacea (azelaic acid) for Rosacea: "I have been using Finacea gel for over a year, with very noticeable results. I apply in the morning and evening, after washing my face, and before applying moisturizer. I occasionally have some stinging and itching after application, and I have noticed this happens when my skin is starting to heal. It isn't bothersome, and I think the benefits outweigh the occasional slight discomfort."

Wheatens (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2015

For Rosacea: "My dermatologist prescribed this for dry skin under my mouth/ perioral dermatitis. It cleared up this stubborn dry skin in 3 or 4 days. Doc told me to use on my acne. It cleared up existing acne but brought big, nasty, honking zits to the surface that haven't cleared up after a month."

Avpu September 21, 2015

For Acne: "I've been battling acne for 8 years now. I am now 20. Although the severity of acne that I've experienced over the past 8 years has been very mild leaving no pitted scaring I do have some blemishes and hyper pigmentation on my cheeks, chin and jawline. Initially I was referred to azelaic acid (finacea) along side doxycycline. However, doxcycline triggered acne in places where Ive never had pimples before. Even after 3 months of doxy usage I gave up on it as it was making it worse. Currently, I use the cetaphil clearing wash and then apply finacea evenly to all areas with blemishes before bed. I recommend this product despite it having an initial burning effect when applied. Don't give up on it. I didn't see improvement until 3 months in!"

GIVE IT A GO (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015