Generic Name: levocetirizine (LEE-voe-se-TIR-a-zeen)
Brand Name: Xyzal
Xyzal solution is used for:
Treating allergy symptoms and chronic hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Xyzal solution is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a substance in the body called histamine. This helps to decrease allergy symptoms and hives.
Do NOT use Xyzal solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Xyzal solution or to cetirizine
- you have severe kidney problems or you are receiving dialysis
- the patient is a child 6 months to 11 years old who has kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Xyzal solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Xyzal solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially any of the following:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
- if you have trouble urinating or a condition that may increase your risk of trouble urinating (eg, enlarged prostate, spinal cord lesion)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Xyzal solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- Ritonavir or theophylline because they may increase the risk of Xyzal solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Xyzal solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Xyzal solution:
Use Xyzal solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Xyzal solution by mouth with or without food. Take it in the evening unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Xyzal solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Xyzal solution.
Important safety information:
- Xyzal solution may cause drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Xyzal solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Xyzal solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- The risk of drowsiness may be greater if you take Xyzal solution in high doses. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Use Xyzal solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- CHILDREN younger than 6 years old may be more likely to experience constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, or ear infection while taking Xyzal solution.
- Xyzal solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Xyzal solution while you are pregnant. Xyzal solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Xyzal solution.
Possible side effects of Xyzal solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth; nose or throat irritation; sore throat; tiredness; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); burning, numbness, or tingling; dark urine; difficult or painful urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, suicidal thoughts or actions); nosebleeds; seizure; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; tremors; trouble urinating; vision problems (eg, blurred vision); vomiting; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; irritability; restlessness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Xyzal solution:
Store Xyzal solution between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Xyzal solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Xyzal solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Xyzal solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Xyzal solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Xyzal solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Xyzal solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Xyzal solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.