Generic Name: Uridine Triacetate (Vistogard) (URE i deen trye AS e tate)
Brand Name: Vistogard
Medically reviewed on September 5, 2018
Uses of Vistogard:
- It is used to treat fluorouracil or capecitabine overdose.
- It is used to treat very bad or life-threatening side effects caused by fluorouracil or capecitabine.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vistogard?
- If you have an allergy to Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) or any part of Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vistogard?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Vistogard) best taken?
Use Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your doctor will tell you how to take Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)). Be sure you know how much to take, how often to take Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)), and how to store this drug. If your doctor does not tell you how to use Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) or if you are not sure how to use it, talk with your doctor.
- Throw away any part of the packet not used after use.
- Mix granules with 3 to 4 ounces (90 to 120 mL) of applesauce, pudding, or yogurt.
- Do not chew Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)).
- Drink at least 4 ounces (120 mL) of water.
- Keep taking Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take with or without food.
- Take your dose within 30 minutes after mixing. Throw away any part not used within 30 minutes of mixing.
- If you throw up within 2 hours of taking Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)), take 1 more dose.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)). Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)) is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Vistogard?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Vistogard?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Vistogard (uridine triacetate (vistogard)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Vistogard (uridine)
- Vistogard Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents
Other brands: Xuriden