Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate
Generic name: Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate [ tek-NEE-shee-um-tee-see-nyne-tee-nyne-em-SOW-dee-um-per-TEK-ne-tate ]
Brand names: LEU TechneLite, TechneLite
Drug class: Diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 16, 2022.
Uses of Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate:
- It is used with a special imaging test.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate?
- If you are allergic to technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate; any part of technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed after the test is over for as long as your doctor has told you.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate?
For all uses of technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine is radioactive. You will need to follow what the doctor has told you to lessen being exposed to technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate, call your doctor right away.
For use in the eye:
- Blow your nose and wash your eyes after getting technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate as you have been told by your doctor.
For other reasons:
- Pass urine often. You need to empty your bladder often. Drinking lots of liquids will help.
How is this medicine (Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate) best taken?
Use technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine will be given to you by a doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Technetium Tc 99m Sodium Pertechnetate?
- If you need to store technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about technetium tc 99m sodium pertechnetate, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about sodium pertechnetate (tc-99m)
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.