Generic Name: Calcitriol Capsules (kal si TRYE ole)
Brand Name: Rocaltrol
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 20, 2019.
Uses of Rocaltrol:
- It is used to control low blood calcium levels in certain patients.
- It is used to treat high parathyroid hormone levels in certain patients.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rocaltrol?
- If you have an allergy to calcitriol or any other part of Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
- If you are allergic to Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules); any part of Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels or too much vitamin D in the body.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rocaltrol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor about whether you may need to take calcium while taking Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
- Too much vitamin D in the body may cause problems. Do not take more of Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules) than what your doctor told you to take. Be sure you know the signs of too much vitamin D in the body. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking other sources of vitamin D, talk with your doctor.
- If you are also taking a product that has magnesium in it, talk with your doctor. This includes some types of antacids.
- Talk with your doctor to see if you need to drink extra fluids while you take Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- If you take cholestyramine, talk with your pharmacist about how to take with Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Rocaltrol) best taken?
Use Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules) at the same time of day.
- Take with or without food.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, constipation, or bone pain.
What are some other side effects of Rocaltrol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Rocaltrol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Rocaltrol (calcitriol capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Rocaltrol (calcitriol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: vitamins
Other brands: Calcijex