Generic Name: Podophyllum Resin (po DOF fil um REZ in)
Brand Name: Podocon
Uses of Podocon:
- It is used to treat genital warts.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Podocon?
- If you have an allergy to podophyllum or any other part of Podocon (podophyllum resin).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: High blood sugar (diabetes) or poor blood flow.
- If you are taking a steroid.
- If your skin has birthmarks, moles, bleeding warts, or warts with hair growth. Do not use Podocon (podophyllum resin) on these areas.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use Podocon (podophyllum resin) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Podocon (podophyllum resin).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Podocon (podophyllum resin).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Podocon (podophyllum resin) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Podocon?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Podocon (podophyllum resin). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not have any kind of sex when Podocon (podophyllum resin) is on your genital or anal skin.
- Do not use if the wart or the skin around the wart is swollen or irritated. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of warts to others. Talk with your doctor about how to prevent the spread of genital warts to others.
- If you get Podocon (podophyllum resin) in the eyes, flush right away with cool water and get medical help.
How is this medicine (Podocon) best taken?
Use Podocon (podophyllum resin) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Treating genital warts is done in a doctor's office.
- Do not take Podocon (podophyllum resin) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash off well when your doctor tells you. Use alcohol or soap and water as you have been told.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Very bad pain, swelling, or bleeding where treated.
- Very bad burning or burning that does not go away.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Podocon?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Short-term pain after use.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Podocon?
- If you need to store Podocon (podophyllum resin) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Podocon (podophyllum resin), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.