Generic Name: phytonadione (fye-toe-na-DYE-one)
Brand Name: Mephyton
Phytonadione tablets are used for:
Treating bleeding problems caused by low vitamin K blood levels or decreased vitamin K activity (eg, caused by certain anticoagulants, antibiotics, salicylates, certain liver problems).
Phytonadione tablets are a vitamin K. It works by helping the liver to produce blood clotting factors.
Do NOT use phytonadione tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in phytonadione tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using phytonadione tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with phytonadione tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with phytonadione tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because effectiveness may be decreased by phytonadione tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if phytonadione tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use phytonadione tablets:
Use phytonadione tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking phytonadione tablets unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of phytonadione tablets, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use phytonadione tablets.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using phytonadione tablets.
- LAB TESTS, including blood clotting tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use phytonadione tablets with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed. NEWBORN CHILDREN may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if phytonadione tablets can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking phytonadione tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using phytonadione tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if phytonadione tablets are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using phytonadione tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of phytonadione tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of phytonadione tablets:
Store phytonadione tablets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep phytonadione tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about phytonadione tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Phytonadione tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take phytonadione tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about phytonadione tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to phytonadione tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using phytonadione tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about phytonadione
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: anticoagulant reversal agents