Generic Name: Camphor and Menthol Gel (KAM for & MEN thol)
Brand Name: Arctic Relief Pain Relieving, Freeze It, Ortho-Nesic, Rhuli Gel, Sombra Natural Pain Relieving, ...show all 6 brand names.Sombra Warm Therapy
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 6, 2020.
Uses of Ortho-Nesic:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
- It is used to ease pain from skin irritations.
- It is used to treat itching.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ortho-Nesic?
- If you have an allergy to camphor, menthol, or any other part of Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel).
- If you are allergic to Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel); any part of Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ortho-Nesic?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Some of these drugs may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Different brands of Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) to a child.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Ortho-Nesic) best taken?
Use Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Do not put on open wounds.
- Do not put on right after a shower or bath.
- Do not put on right after using a heating pad.
- Do not bandage tightly.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Many times Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Ortho-Nesic?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ortho-Nesic?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Ortho-Nesic (camphor and menthol gel), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about camphor / menthol topical
- Camphor and menthol topical
- Camphor and Menthol Cream, Lotion, and Ointment
- Camphor and Menthol Gel
- Camphor and Menthol Patch
- Camphor, Capsicum, and Menthol Patch