The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: multiple vitamins with calcium (VYE-ta-mins/KAL-see-um)
Brand Name: Examples include Avail and One-A-Day Within
One-A-Day Within is used for:
Supplementing the diet with vitamins, minerals, and calcium.
One-A-Day Within is a multivitamin and mineral combination. It increases the amount of calcium and vitamins in the body.
Do NOT use One-A-Day Within if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in One-A-Day Within
- you have high levels of calcium in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using One-A-Day Within:
Some medical conditions may interact with One-A-Day Within. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are dehydrated, have kidney stones, kidney problems, have unusual growths or tumors, or have excess calcium in your urine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with One-A-Day Within. However, no specific interactions with One-A-Day Within are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if One-A-Day Within may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use One-A-Day Within:
Use One-A-Day Within as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- One-A-Day Within may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of One-A-Day Within, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use One-A-Day Within.
Important safety information:
- One-A-Day Within contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless directed to by your doctor.
- One-A-Day Within may cause false test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool. Check with your doctor if you are taking One-A-Day Within when using the test kit.
- Diabetes patients - One-A-Day Within may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Use One-A-Day Within with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking One-A-Day Within, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using One-A-Day Within during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using One-A-Day Within, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of One-A-Day Within:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the proper use of One-A-Day Within. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of One-A-Day Within:
Store One-A-Day Within at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep One-A-Day Within out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about One-A-Day Within, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- One-A-Day Within is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take One-A-Day Within or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about One-A-Day Within. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to One-A-Day Within. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using One-A-Day Within.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.