The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam
Generic Name: clobetasol (kloe-BAY-ta-sol)
Brand Name: Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack
Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam is used for:
The short-term treatment of burning and itching caused by moderate to severe skin diseases. The regular foam may also be used to treat psoriasis and burning and itching caused by moderate to severe skin diseases of the scalp.
Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam is a topical corticosteroid. This kit contains the same medicine in 2 different types of foam. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation).
Do NOT use Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam or to other corticosteroid medicines (eg, prednisone)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chickenpox, shingles, measles, or tuberculosis (TB), or have had a positive TB skin test or a recent vaccination
- if you have had a skin infection, thinning of the skin (atrophy), or a certain type of severe acne (rosacea)
- if you are taking an oral corticosteroid (eg, prednisone)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. However, no specific interactions with Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam:
Use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. If your fingers are warm, rinse them in cold water and dry before you apply Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam.
- Use the smallest amount of medicine necessary to cover the affected area.
- If you are using the emollient foam, shake well before each use.
- Turn the can upside down and squirt a small amount of foam (up to the size of a golf ball) into the cap of the can, onto a clean saucer, or onto another cool, clean surface. You may also squirt it directly onto the affected area. Do not squirt the medicine directly into the hand because it will start to melt immediately upon touching warm skin.
- If you are applying the regular foam to the scalp, move the hair away from the affected area and gently rub the medicine into the affected area until the foam disappears. Repeat until the entire affected area of the scalp is treated.
- If you are applying Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam to other areas, gently rub the medicine into the skin until it disappears.
- Throw away any unused medicine that has been squirted out of the can.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam, unless your hands are a part of the treated area.
- Do not use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam on your face, groin, or underarms unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam over large areas of the body without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- If the can seems warm or the foam seems runny, rinse the can with cool water.
- If you miss a dose of Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam, apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam.
Important safety information:
- Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth; on your lips; or near your genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Check with your doctor before you receive any vaccination while you are using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam over a large area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam is flammable. Do not store near fire or an open flame. Avoid fire, open flame, or smoking during and immediately after use.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam.
- Caution is advised when using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam in CHILDREN older than 12 years old; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Olux/ Olux-E Complete Pack foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness, burning, or mild skin irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, peeling, or swelling not present before you began using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; numbness of the fingers; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, confusion; flushing; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; rapid breathing; unusual drowsiness); thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam:
Store Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not expose to heat or store at temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister, even if it appears to be empty. Keep Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Olux/Olux-E Complete Pack foam.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.