Generic Name: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate (SOW dee um zir KOE nee um SYE kloe SIL i kate)
Brand Name: Lokelma
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 26, 2019.
Uses of Lokelma:
- It is used to treat high potassium levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Lokelma?
- If you are allergic to Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate); any part of Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a bowel block.
- If you have any of these health problems: Constipation, low potassium levels, or if you have not had a bowel movement after surgery.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Lokelma?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, take them at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate). If you are not able to do this, talk with your doctor.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Lokelma) best taken?
Use Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Mix the contents of the packet in a glass with about 3 tablespoons (45 mL) or more of water. Stir well and drink right away.
- If there is powder in the glass after taking your dose, add more water, stir, and drink right away. Do this until there is no more powder.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Lokelma?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Lokelma?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Lokelma (sodium zirconium cyclosilicate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: cation exchange resins
- FDA Approval History