The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Lidosense 5 Cream
Generic Name: lidocaine (LYE-doe-kane)
Brand Name: LMX 5
Lidosense 5 Cream is used for:
Relieving pain and itching caused by anal or rectal problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lidosense 5 Cream is an anesthetic. It works by preventing nerves from sending painful impulses to the brain.
Do NOT use Lidosense 5 Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lidosense 5 Cream or to similar medications (eg, amide-type local anesthetics such as prilocaine)
- you have an infection (eg, oozing, warmth, pain) or injury at the affected area
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lidosense 5 Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lidosense 5 Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
- if you have heart, liver, or kidney problems
- if you have been very ill or weakened
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lidosense 5 Cream. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine), beta-blockers (eg, atenolol), or cimetidine because risk of side effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lidosense 5 Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lidosense 5 Cream:
Use Lidosense 5 Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands well before and after using Lidosense 5 Cream.
- Wash the affected area with mild soap and warm water, if practical. Gently dry by patting or blotting with toilet tissue or a soft cloth.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- Lidosense 5 Cream may come with an applicator to help with rectal application. To use the applicator, attach it to the tube. Lubricate the applicator well with medicine, then gently insert the applicator into the rectum. Squeeze the tube to deliver the medicine. Do NOT insert any part of the tube into the rectum.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Lidosense 5 Cream, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lidosense 5 Cream.
Important safety information:
- Do not get Lidosense 5 Cream in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water. Contact your doctor and protect your eyes until the numbness goes away.
- Do NOT use the applicator if pain occurs when you try to insert it. Contact your doctor right away if this occurs.
- Lidosense 5 Cream may cause numbness at the treated area. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperatures while numbness occurs.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if rectal bleeding occurs, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Lidosense 5 Cream in large amounts, over large areas, or for longer than recommended. This may increase your risk of serous side effects.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you use Lidosense 5 Cream before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or products in the anal or rectal area.
- Lidosense 5 Cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Lidosense 5 Cream should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Lidosense 5 Cream can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lidosense 5 Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lidosense 5 Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lidosense 5 Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; chest pain; dizziness; drowsiness; irregular heartbeat; rectal bleeding; severe or persistent irritation; signs of infection (eg, oozing, warmth, pain); trembling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Lidosense 5 Cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Lidosense 5 Cream:
Store Lidosense 5 Cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lidosense 5 Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lidosense 5 Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lidosense 5 Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Discard unused medicine and packaging in the trash out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lidosense 5 Cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lidosense 5 Cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lidosense 5 Cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lidosense 5 Cream.