Lactase chewable tablets
Generic Name: lactase (LAK-tase)
Brand Name: Examples include Lactaid and Lactaid Ultra
Lactase chewable tablets are used for:
Helping you consume dairy foods without gas, cramps, bloating, or diarrhea.
Lactase chewable tablets are an enzyme. It works by helping the digestion of milk sugar.
Do NOT use lactase chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in lactase chewable tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using lactase chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with lactase chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with lactase chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with lactase chewable tablets are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if lactase chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use lactase chewable tablets:
Use lactase chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take lactase chewable tablets with the first bite or drink of dairy product.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you continue to consume foods containing dairy after 20 to 45 minutes, take another tablet.
- If you miss a dose of lactase chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use lactase chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Lactase chewable tablets are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if lactase chewable tablets may cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking lactase chewable tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using lactase chewable tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if lactase chewable tablets are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking lactase chewable tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of lactase chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with lactase chewable tablets. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of lactase chewable tablets:
Store lactase chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep lactase chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about lactase chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lactase chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take lactase chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about lactase chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to lactase chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using lactase chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about lactase
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Support Group
- 13 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: digestive enzymes