Generic Name: palifermin (pal-ee-FER-min)
Brand Name: Kepivance
Kepivance is used for:
Reducing and treating mouth sores in patients who are receiving chemotherapy and radiation to treat lymphoma and other blood-related cancers.
Kepivance is a protein, keratinocyte growth factor. It works by increasing cell growth and healing of skin tissue.
Do NOT use Kepivance if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kepivance
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kepivance:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kepivance. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are scheduled to receive chemotherapy within 24 hours
- if you have any non-blood-related cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kepivance. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Heparin because the effectiveness of Kepivance may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kepivance may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kepivance:
Use Kepivance as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Kepivance is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Kepivance at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- Do not use Kepivance within 24 hours of certain chemotherapy because the effectiveness of Kepivance may be decreased.
- If you miss a dose of Kepivance, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kepivance.
Important safety information:
- Because Kepivance works by increasing cell growth of skin and certain other tissues, it may increase growth of any tumor not related to the blood.
- Use Kepivance with caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Kepivance can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Kepivance, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Kepivance during pregnancy. It is unknown if Kepivance is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Kepivance, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kepivance:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Change in taste; joint pain; skin reactions (rash, irritation, redness, swelling, itching); tingling, numbness, prickling, or burning sensation around the mouth or on the skin; tongue thickening or discoloration.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Kepivance:
Kepivance is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Kepivance at home, store Kepivance as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Kepivance out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kepivance, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kepivance is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Kepivance or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Kepivance. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Kepivance. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Kepivance.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.