Generic Name: Dalteparin Multi-Dose Vials (dal TE pa rin)
Brand Name: Fragmin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 13, 2019.
- People who have any type of spinal or epidural procedure are more likely to have bleeding problems around the spine when already on this drug. This bleeding rarely happens, but can lead to not being able to move body (paralysis) long-term or paralysis that will not go away. The risk is raised in people who have problems with their spine, a certain type of epidural catheter, or have had spinal surgery. The risk is also raised in people who take any other drugs that may affect how the blood clots like blood-thinner drugs (like warfarin), aspirin, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor you use Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) before you have a spinal or epidural procedure. Call your doctor right away if you have any signs of nerve problems like back pain, numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, paralysis, or loss of bladder or bowel control.
- Talk with your doctor if you have recently had or will be having a spinal or epidural procedure. Some time may need to pass between the use of Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) and your procedure. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Fragmin:
- It is used to thin the blood so that clots will not form.
- It is used to treat blood clots.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Fragmin?
- If you have an allergy to dalteparin or any other part of Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials).
- If you are allergic to pork products, talk with the doctor.
- If you are allergic to Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials); any part of Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have had a low platelet count caused by heparin.
- If you have active bleeding.
- If the patient is a newborn or infant. This medicine has benzyl alcohol in it. Benzyl alcohol may cause severe and sometimes deadly side effects in newborns or infants. Do not give Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) to a newborn or infant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Fragmin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Severe and sometimes deadly bleeding problems have happened with Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials).
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you fall or hurt yourself, or if you hit your head, call your doctor right away. Talk with your doctor even if you feel fine.
- If you are 65 or older, use Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Fragmin) best taken?
Use Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin on the right or left side of the stomach, thigh, or buttocks.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- You will need to be seated or lying down when you take Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Move the site where you give the shot with each shot.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Keep using Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Very bad headache.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Muscle weakness.
What are some other side effects of Fragmin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Fragmin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Throw away any part not used 2 weeks after first use.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Fragmin (dalteparin multi-dose vials), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Fragmin (dalteparin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: heparins
- Fragmin (Dalteparin Ampules, Prefilled Syringes, and Single-Dose Vials)
- Fragmin (Advanced Reading)