Generic Name: fluorometholone (flure-oh-METH-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Examples include Fluor-Op and FML Forte
FML Forte is used for:
Treating inflammation (swelling, warmth, redness, pain) of the eyes and eyelids.
FML Forte is a corticosteroid. Exactly how FML Forte works is unknown.
Do NOT use FML Forte if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in FML Forte
- you have a viral infection of the eye (eg, herpes), a fungal or tuberculosis infection of the eye, certain untreated eye infections (eg, infections producing pus or discharge), or vaccinia or chickenpox infection
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using FML Forte:
Some medical conditions may interact with FML Forte. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have thinning of the eye tissues (eg, cornea, sclera), other eye problems (eg, glaucoma, cataracts, nerve damage), or diabetes
- if you have recently had cataract surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with FML Forte. Because little, if any, of FML Forte is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if FML Forte may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use FML Forte:
Use FML Forte as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- To use FML Forte, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear soft contact lenses while you are using FML Forte. Sterilize contact lenses according to the manufacturer's directions and check with your doctor before using them.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, find out the best order for using each medicine.
- If you miss a dose of FML Forte, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use FML Forte.
Important safety information:
- FML Forte may cause blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to FML Forte.
- If your condition does not improve within 2 days or if it becomes worse, check with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including eye pressure, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use FML Forte with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using FML Forte during pregnancy. It is unknown if FML Forte is excreted in breast milk after use in the eye. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using FML Forte, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of FML Forte:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; taste changes; temporary burning or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continuing blurred vision; discharge from eyes; eye pain, itching, redness, swelling, irritation, or sores not present when you began using FML Forte.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of FML Forte:
Store FML Forte below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep FML Forte out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about FML Forte, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- FML Forte is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take FML Forte or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about FML Forte. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to FML Forte. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using FML Forte.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.