Generic Name: aflibercept (a-FLIB-er-sept)
Brand Name: Eylea
Eylea is used for:
Treating neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD) (an eye problem). It is also used for treating certain types of an eye problem called macular edema.
Eylea is a recombinant fusion protein. It works by decreasing the growth of certain cells in the eye. It also helps to keep blood vessels in the eye from leaking and decreases the formation of new blood vessels in the eye. This slows or stops wet AMD and macular edema.
Do NOT use Eylea if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Eylea
- you have an infection in or around the eye
- you have inflammation in the eye
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Eylea:
Some medical conditions may interact with Eylea. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, or other eye problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Eylea. However, no specific interactions with Eylea are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Eylea may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Eylea:
Use Eylea as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Eylea is given as an injection into the eye at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Eylea is for injection into the eye only.
- If you miss a dose of Eylea, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Eylea.
Important safety information:
- Eylea may cause temporary vision changes. Use Eylea with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Eylea may increase the risk of serious and sometimes fatal health problems caused by blood clots (eg, heart attack, stroke). Talk with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including eye pressure and other eye tests, may be performed while you use Eylea. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Eylea should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Eylea while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Eylea.
Possible side effects of Eylea:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Feeling of having something in your eye; increased tear production; seeing floaters.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest, jaw, or arm pain; confusion; eye or eyelid swelling; eye pain, pressure, redness, bleeding, or discharge; fainting; new or worsening vision problems (eg, blurred vision); one-sided weakness; sensitivity to light; shortness of breath; slurred speech; sudden, severe nausea or vomiting; unusual sweating or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Eylea:
Eylea is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Eylea, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Eylea is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Eylea or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Eylea. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Eylea. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Eylea.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Eylea (aflibercept ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating