Generic Name: ergoloid mesylates (ER-goe-loid MES-i-lates)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Ergoloid mesylates is used for:
Treating symptoms of declined mental capacity (memory, mood, and behavior problems) in certain patients older than 60 years of age. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ergoloid mesylates is an ergot alkaloid. Exactly how it works is unknown.
Do NOT use ergoloid mesylates if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ergoloid mesylates
- you have certain mental problems (psychosis)
- you are taking HIV protease inhibitors (eg, delavirdine, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir), efavirenz, a ketolide antibiotic (eg, telithromycin), a macrolide antibiotic (eg, clarithromycin, erythromycin), or selective 5-HT agonists (eg, sumatriptan, eletriptan)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ergoloid mesylates:
Some medical conditions may interact with ergoloid mesylates. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ergoloid mesylates. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Clotrimazole, ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine), fluconazole, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, nefazodone, saquinavir, or zileuton because side effects of ergoloid mesylates may be increased
- HIV protease inhibitors (eg, delavirdine, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir), efavirenz, ketolide antibiotics (eg, telithromycin), macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin), or selective 5-HT agonists (eg, sumatriptan, eletriptan) because the risk of severe side effects, including irregular heartbeat or decreased oxygen to the extremities (eg, hands, feet) or brain, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ergoloid mesylates may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ergoloid mesylates:
Use ergoloid mesylates as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke while you take ergoloid mesylates.
- Place ergoloid mesylates beneath your tongue and allow it to dissolve completely.
- Do not swallow, crush, or chew ergoloid mesylates.
- If you miss a dose of ergoloid mesylates, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you miss more than 1 dose, contact your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ergoloid mesylates.
Important safety information:
- Improvement is usually gradual. You may not see results for up to 3 to 4 weeks.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use ergoloid mesylates for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Your doctor should evaluate you periodically while you are taking ergoloid mesylates to determine if you are still benefiting from it or whether you have a specific mental or mood problem that might benefit from a different medicine.
- Use ergoloid mesylates with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use ergoloid mesylates if you are pregnant. If you suspect that you could be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. Ergoloid mesylates is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking ergoloid mesylates.
Possible side effects of ergoloid mesylates:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Irritation beneath the tongue; stomach upset; temporary nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of ergoloid mesylates:
Store ergoloid mesylates at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ergoloid mesylates out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ergoloid mesylates, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ergoloid mesylates is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about ergoloid mesylates. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ergoloid mesylates
- Other brands: Hydergine