Generic Name: perflutren (per-FLOO-tren)
Brand Name: Definity
Serious and sometimes fatal heart and lung problems have occurred uncommonly during and within 30 minutes after administration of Definity. Do not use Definity if you have certain heart problems (eg, cardiac shunt). Tell your doctor if you have heart problems (eg, QT prolongation, recent heart attack, serious irregular heartbeat, worsening or unstable heart failure). Tell your doctor if you have lung problems (eg, blood clot in the lungs, high blood pressure in the lungs, respiratory failure, severe emphysema). Your heart function and vital signs will be monitored during and for at least 30 minutes after treatment with Definity. Tell your doctor right away if you experience chest, jaw, or arm pain; fainting; fast, slow or irregular heartbeat; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; sudden, severe nausea or vomiting; trouble breathing; unusual sweating; weakness; or wheezing.
Definity is used for:
Making the heart easier to see during a certain diagnostic procedure (echocardiogram).
Definity is a contrast agent. It works in the blood to help create a clearer picture of the heart.
Do NOT use Definity if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Definity
- you have certain serious heart problems (eg, cardiac shunt)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Definity:
Some medical conditions may interact with Definity. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of lung problems (eg, blood clot in the lungs, high blood pressure in the lungs, respiratory failure, severe emphysema) or heart problems (eg, congenital heart defect, heart attack, heart blood vessel problems, heart failure, irregular heartbeat, QT prolongation)
- if you have had recent worsening of heart or lung problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Definity. However, no specific interactions with Definity are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Definity may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Definity:
Use Definity as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Definity will be given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Definity, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Definity.
Important safety information:
- Definity may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Definity with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Lab tests, including heart function and vital signs, may be performed while you use Definity. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Definity should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Definity while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Definity, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Definity:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; flushing; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); back pain; chest, jaw, or arm pain; confusion; decreased feeling in the face; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; loss of consciousness; one-sided weakness; seizure; severe headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; slurred speech; sudden, severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual sweating; vision changes (eg, blurred vision); weakness; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Definity:
Definity is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Definity at home, store Definity as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Definity out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Definity, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Definity is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Definity or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Definity. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Definity. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Definity.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Definity (perflutren)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: ultrasound contrast media
Other brands: Optison