Generic Name: Trientine (TRYE en teen)
Brand Name: Clovique, Syprine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 11, 2020.
Uses of Clovique:
- It is used to treat Wilson's disease.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Clovique?
- If you have an allergy to trientine or any other part of Clovique (trientine).
- If you are allergic to Clovique (trientine); any part of Clovique (trientine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High level of cystine in the urine or rheumatoid arthritis.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Clovique (trientine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Clovique (trientine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Clovique?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Clovique (trientine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your urine checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- During the first month you take Clovique (trientine), take your temperature every night. Call your doctor if you have a fever or skin irritation.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Clovique) best taken?
Use Clovique (trientine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take on an empty stomach. Take at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Take at least 1 hour before or after any other drug, food, or milk.
- Do not take iron products within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Clovique (trientine).
- If you take other products with minerals in them (like aluminum, calcium, magnesium, or zinc), talk with your doctor. You may need to avoid these products while taking Clovique (trientine).
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, open, or crush.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- If the capsule is opened or broken, do not touch the contents. If the contents are touched or they get in the eyes, wash hands or eyes right away.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Muscle spasm.
- Muscle weakness.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Clovique?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Clovique?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Clovique (trientine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Clovique (trientine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: chelating agents
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.