Generic Name: l-methylfolate/vitamin b12/n-acetylcysteine (meth-ill-FOE-late/VYE-ta-min/a-se-teel-SIS-teen)
Brand Name: Examples include Cerefolin NAC and Triveen-CF NAC
Cerefolin NAC is used for:
Supplying nutritional requirements of certain patients with neurovascular oxidative stress or high blood levels of homocysteine. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cerefolin NAC is a nutritional supplement. It works by providing the body with folate, vitamin B12, and a form of antioxidant, which helps to reduce or eliminate oxidative stress and lower homocysteine levels.
Do NOT use Cerefolin NAC if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cerefolin NAC
- you are very ill
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cerefolin NAC:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cerefolin NAC. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia, liver problems, kidney stones, or a history of ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cerefolin NAC. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antibiotics (eg, penicillin, cephalexin, ciprofloxacin), cholestyramine, colchicine, colestipol, metformin, nitrous oxide, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), para-aminosalicylic acid, potassium chloride, or sulfasalazine because they may decrease the effectiveness of Cerefolin NAC
- Fluorouracil or nitrates (eg, nitroglycerin) because their side effects may be increased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), primidone, pyrimethamine, or valproic acid because their effectiveness may be decreased by Cerefolin NAC
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cerefolin NAC may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cerefolin NAC:
Use Cerefolin NAC as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cerefolin NAC may be taken with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Cerefolin NAC, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cerefolin NAC.
Important safety information:
- Diabetes patients - Cerefolin NAC may cause incorrect test results with some ketone tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Cerefolin NAC is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Cerefolin NAC, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cerefolin NAC during pregnancy. Cerefolin NAC is excreted in breast milk. Do not breastfeed while you are taking Cerefolin NAC.
Possible side effects of Cerefolin NAC:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloated feeling; headache; itching; mild diarrhea; mild fever; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); lower back or side pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cerefolin NAC:
Store Cerefolin NAC at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, light, and moisture. Keep Cerefolin NAC out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cerefolin NAC, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cerefolin NAC is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cerefolin NAC or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cerefolin NAC. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cerefolin NAC. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cerefolin NAC.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Cerefolin NAC (multivitamin)
- Side Effects
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations