Generic Name: calcitonin-salmon (KAL-si-TOE-nin SA-mon)
Brand Name: Miacalcin
Calcitonin-salmon is used for:
Treating Paget disease, postmenopausal osteoporosis (fragile or brittle bones), and high blood calcium levels. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcitonin-salmon is a hormone. It works by regulating calcium in the blood and bone.
Do NOT use calcitonin-salmon if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in calcitonin-salmon
- you have untreated low blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using calcitonin-salmon:
Some medical conditions may interact with calcitonin-salmon. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have low blood vitamin D levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with calcitonin-salmon. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Lithium because its effectiveness may be decreased by calcitonin-salmon
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if calcitonin-salmon may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use calcitonin-salmon:
Use calcitonin-salmon as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Calcitonin-salmon is sometimes given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using calcitonin-salmon at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use calcitonin-salmon. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use calcitonin-salmon if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of calcitonin-salmon, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use calcitonin-salmon.
Important safety information:
- Some people have had an allergic reaction when using calcitonin-salmon. Some reactions may be serious and can be life threatening. Get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing; swelling of the face, throat, or tongue; chest pain; fast heartbeat; dizziness; or fainting.
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider. Calcitonin-salmon works better if used along with calcium and vitamin D. Ask your doctor about appropriate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- This drug may add to your chance of getting some types of cancer. Talk with your doctor.
- Calcitonin-salmon should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using calcitonin-salmon while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use calcitonin-salmon, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of calcitonin-salmon:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Flushing of the face or hands; loss of appetite; nausea; reaction, redness, or pain at injection site; salty taste in mouth; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation at the injection site; symptoms of low calcium levels (eg, muscle cramps or spasms, numbness and tingling, seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of calcitonin-salmon:
Store calcitonin-salmon in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep calcitonin-salmon out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about calcitonin-salmon, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcitonin-salmon is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take calcitonin-salmon or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about calcitonin-salmon. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to calcitonin-salmon. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using calcitonin-salmon.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about calcitonin
- Calcitonin-salmon spray
- Calcitonin injection
- Calcitonin nasal
- Calcitonin Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Calcitonin Nasal (Advanced Reading)