The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Alacol DM Elixir
Generic Name: phenylephrine/brompheniramine/dextromethorphan (FEN-il-EF-rin/BROME-fen-IR-a-meen/DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan)
Brand Name: Examples include Alahist DM and Dimetapp DM Cough/Cold
Alacol DM Elixir is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alacol DM Elixir is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Alacol DM Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alacol DM Elixir
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alacol DM Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alacol DM Elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alacol DM Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Alacol DM Elixir's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Alacol DM Elixir
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Alacol DM Elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alacol DM Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alacol DM Elixir:
Use Alacol DM Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Alacol DM Elixir by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Alacol DM Elixir.
- If you miss a dose of Alacol DM Elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alacol DM Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Alacol DM Elixir may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Alacol DM Elixir with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Alacol DM Elixir; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Alacol DM Elixir without checking with your doctor.
- Alacol DM Elixir has phenylephrine, brompheniramine, and dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine, brompheniramine, or dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Alacol DM Elixir for cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use for long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- Alacol DM Elixir may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Alacol DM Elixir. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Alacol DM Elixir may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Alacol DM Elixir for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Alacol DM Elixir before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Alacol DM Elixir with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Alacol DM Elixir in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Alacol DM Elixir should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Alacol DM Elixir while you are pregnant. Do not take Alacol DM Elixir in the third trimester of pregnancy. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Alacol DM Elixir, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alacol DM Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest tightness; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; flushing or redness of the face; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; numbness or tingling; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe dryness of the mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusual eye movements; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Alacol DM Elixir:
Store Alacol DM Elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alacol DM Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alacol DM Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alacol DM Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alacol DM Elixir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alacol DM Elixir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alacol DM Elixir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alacol DM Elixir.