Generic Name: activated charcoal and activated charcoal/sorbitol (CHAR-kole and CHAR-kole/SOR-bi-tole)
Brand Name: Actidose-Aqua and Actidose-Sorbitol
Actidose-Sorbitol suspension is used for:
Treating poisoning or overdose in certain circumstances.
Actidose-Sorbitol suspension is an adsorbent. It works by binding with the poison in the stomach to decrease absorption of the poison into the body. Some brands of Actidose-Sorbitol suspension also contain a laxative, which helps to move the charcoal and poison out of the stomach and intestines more quickly.
Do NOT use Actidose-Sorbitol suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Actidose-Sorbitol suspension
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Actidose-Sorbitol suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Actidose-Sorbitol suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Actidose-Sorbitol suspension. However, no specific interactions with Actidose-Sorbitol suspension are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Actidose-Sorbitol suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Actidose-Sorbitol suspension:
Use Actidose-Sorbitol suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- If you miss a dose of Actidose-Sorbitol suspension, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Actidose-Sorbitol suspension.
Important safety information:
- Actidose-Sorbitol suspension may cause your stools to turn black.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Actidose-Sorbitol suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Actidose-Sorbitol suspension during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Actidose-Sorbitol suspension, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Actidose-Sorbitol suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; temporary darkening of the stool; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store Actidose-Sorbitol suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Actidose-Sorbitol suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Actidose-Sorbitol suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Actidose-Sorbitol suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Actidose-Sorbitol suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.