Treprostinil use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Treprostinil: Remodulin, Tyvaso, Orenitram
Treprostinil Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
One patient taking treprostinil breastfed her infant for one year without any complications. If treprostinil is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. However, until more data are available, treprostinil should only be used with careful monitoring during breastfeeding.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
A woman developed pulmonary artery hypertension and was treated with intravenous treprostinil beginning at 32 weeks of gestation and titrated up to 26 ng/kg/min. The dose was nearly doubled postpartum because of worsening symptoms. She breastfed (extent not stated) her infant for one year with no apparent drug-related problems, although there was concern for obesity at 6 months of age. The infant was healthy and developing normally at 2 years of age.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Franco V, Mueller J, Daniels CJ. Is the use of remodulin safe for pregnant and breastfeeding patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)? A case report. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2012;31 (4 Suppl):S71. Abstract 188. DOI: doi:10.1016/j.healun.2012.01.862
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about treprostinil
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 10 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: agents for pulmonary hypertension
- Treprostinil extended release tablets
- Treprostinil inhalation solution
- Treprostinil solution
- Treprostinil inhalation
- More... (4)