Common Measurement Conversions
There are several measurement systems in use around the world and it can be daunting trying to convert a foreign measurement into one you are familiar with. To add to the confusion, some abbreviations for these measurements sound similar, yet the quantity may differ by a thousand. This article explains some of the more common conversions and abbreviations.
Measurement conversions: Liquids
How many teaspoons in a tablespoon? How many ml in a teaspoon? If you a giving any type of liquid medicine, you may be seeking the answers to these questions.
But the answer may not be as straightforward as saying one teaspoon equals 5mL. Using a kitchen spoon to measure the dose of a medicine is NOT a good idea unless it has been properly calibrated and has been sold as a kitchen measure. Teaspoons and tablespoons are NOT official measurements and most of the silverware and cutlery that you buy to eat with has not been standardized to the same volume, and actual teaspoon volumes may range from 2.5mL to 7mL. Measuring a dose with the cutlery you eat with will likely result in either an underdose or an overdose of the medicine.
Which is why you should always use a dosing cup, syringe, or measuring spoon. These are often supplied free with liquid medicines, but, if not, can be bought from a pharmacy and most supermarkets. Always use a properly calibrated measuring device to measure liquid medicines.
Note: Fluid ounces are a measure of volume while ounces are a measure of weight.
|3 teaspoons||1 tablespoon|
|1 fluid ounce||30mL*|
- Teaspoon = tsp
- Tablespoon = Tbsp or Tb
- Millilitre = mL
- Litre = L
- Fluid ounce = fl oz
- Pint = pt
- Gallon = gal
Measurement conversions: Solids
How many mcg in a mg? How many mg in an oz? Measurement conversions for solids can be confusing, particularly when many of the units sound the same.
|1000 micrograms||1 milligram|
|1000 milligrams||1 gram|
|1000 grams||1 kilogram|
|1 kilogram||2.2 pounds|
|1 ounce||28,300 milligrams|
|1 ounce||28.3 grams|
|1 pound||16 ounces|
|1 pound||454 grams|
|1 pound||0.45 kilograms|
|1 stone||14 pounds|
|1 stone||6.35 kilograms|
- Microgram = mcg (may also be written µgm)
- Milligram = mg
- Gram = gm
- Kilogram = kg
- Ounces = oz
- Pounds = lbs
Measurement conversions: Temperature
The Fahrenheit scale for temperature is only used in the United States and its associated colonies, although Canada still retains it as a supplementary scale.
To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, take the Fahrenheit temperature and subtract 32, then multiply this number by 5, then divide the answer by 9 to obtain the temperature in degrees Celsius.
To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, take the Celsius temperature and multiply it by 1.8, then add 32 to obtain the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.
The Celsius and Fahrenheit scales meet at -40°. Above -40°, Fahrenheit temperatures are always higher than corresponding Celsius temperatures, and below -40°, Fahrenheit temperatures are lower than the corresponding Celsius temperatures.
- Celsius = C
- Fahrenheit = F
- Are expired drugs still safe to take?
- Can grapefruit juice interact with my medications?
- Generic Drug FAQs
- How do I avoid errors when taking my prescriptions?
- How do I manage common drug side effects?
- How do I prevent a drug interaction?
- How do I remember to take my medications?
- How do I save money on my prescriptions?
- How do I stop my medication safely?
- How to Safely Dispose of Your Old Medications
- Imprint Code FAQs - For Oral Medications
- Is pill splitting a safe way to save on prescription drug costs?
- What are pharmaceutical salt names?
- What are the risks vs. benefits of medications?
- What do these medical abbreviations mean on my prescription?
- What is a placebo effect?
- How to use liquid medications. Safe Medication. ASHP. http://www.safemedication.com/safemed/MedicationTipsTools/HowtoAdminister/How-to-Use-Liquid-Medications
- Pharmacy Measurement Conversions. Pharmacy Tech Study. https://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/measurements.html
- How to Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius. Thoughtco.com. https://www.thoughtco.com/convert-farenheit-to-celcius-609232
- Celsius to Fahrenheit formula. Rapid Tables. http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/how-celsius-to-fahrenheit.htm
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.